"He" finally molted! When can I try to feed him again?

Asphyxia

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
About two weeks ago I bought a Brachypelma Vagans, and he never cared to eat. I saw on his abdomen that it was darker than normal and suspected an upcomming molt and today he is finally laying there on his back and has almost finished his work!

It has passed some years since my B. smithi passed on after his last molt and refused to eat in search for a mate... *sob*
And he was also larger and more durable than this little fellow...

so.... I ask you guys, when do you think I can drop the first cricket in the habitat? Do I need to wait at least a week... or more/less?

Thanks!

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how big is he/she now? id say 1 week is a sufficient amount of time for the average post-molt wait for feeding

Asphyxia

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is him...
Not a baby but not as big as my B. smithi was...

(btw is it just me or does it looks like he is missing a leg? =/ )

Last edited:

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
about a week is a good average time to wait for a T of that size. I tend to go on when the fangs look heavily darkened or week or two (size dependant of course has passed)

Nice T btw, i presume you've moult sexed him as it's right there! :p

Asphyxia

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks!

Yes, I remember that with my B. smithi I also used to have a lookout for when the fangs got darker, but didnt really remember how long it took. But then I know now I will wait about a week and see how he looks and see if he is up for some food. =) Poor guy hasnt eaten at all since I bought him, due to his pre-molt of course but still... gotta be hungry ;)

And no, I havent sexed "him" yet. Im unsure how to do it right but might post a pic later and see what you guys think! I´ll let you know!

Thanks again! =)

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks!

Yes, I remember that with my B. smithi I also used to have a lookout for when the fangs got darker, but didnt really remember how long it took. But then I know now I will wait about a week and see how he looks and see if he is up for some food. =) Poor guy hasnt eaten at all since I bought him, due to his pre-molt of course but still... gotta be hungry ;)

And no, I havent sexed "him" yet. Im unsure how to do it right but might post a pic later and see what you guys think! I´ll let you know!

Thanks again! =)
Grab the moult and if it's still soft unfold the abdomen section carefully, so you can see the inside. Specifically the area between the book lungs. If the moult is 'crispy' immersing it in water sometimes help soften it a little.

something like this:

(it's my G rosea juvenile - female)

If you can get a photo with decent focus on the area between the book lungs post it up here and i'm sure we'll have a stab at sexing it for you.

Hope it helps.

Asphyxia

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmn - my cam didnt play well today. This was the best one I could get... the skin was all sticky and didnt wanna cooperate at all and my camera seems to be on vaccation ;)

And... he did loose one leg in the process... poor guy!
Hope the next molt will work better... never had a moltproblem before (except for the boxing gloves on my smithi... didnt know what they were at first, hehe).
Shall I have an extra lookout for something, to make sure he isnt hurt in a "bad way"... Not that its a good thing to loose a leg... But I hope you know what I mean...

Attachments

Last edited:

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A week or so should be good for the fangs to harden. I f you drop water droplets in front of him and he pounces on them after that week, you're good to go :D

Asphyxia

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks! =)
He seems to be doing just fine, even tho he lacks one leg. =)

Asphyxia

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh dont worry, its not too small. Just happened to be in his corner and the view is blocked by a piece of driftwood and then the edges of the tank. He has a toooo high habitat tho and i was looking for my b. smithis old one yesterday but couldnt find it so imma buy a new one for this guy. Atm he has an Exo Terra (30.30.45cm) that i bought for an avic. avic./sp. =) So he has plenty of room to walk on, but likes to sit in his corner...