Having trouble keeping humidity high

the19thScorpion

Arachnopeon
I just set up my enclosure for the new scorps I plan to buy but I can't seem to get the humidity past 80%. I have damn near soaked the substrate with water , and have about 75% of the lid covered with saran wrap. I don't want to buy anything until I can get the humidity up to where it needs to be. Is there anything else I need to be doing. I've read in several places how to keep it high but it just refuses to go above it. Any help would be great!

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Hi, I have a 10 gallon enclosure i keep at 80-100% humidity for a H.spinifer. I have noticed that to get the best results I have to completely cover the top of the enclosure using aluminum foil so that no moisture can escape through the top. The enclosure already has side ventilation that allows plenty of fresh air. If the is no way to provide ventilation using the sides of your enclosure. You could always use aluminum foil on the top and poke holes in the foil until you acheive the desired humidity and still allow ventilation. Also a digital hygrometer is best for determining the humidity, sometimes the gauge meters can be a little wonky... hope this helps.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm sorry but you people shouldn't adventure in that 'humidity numbers %' quest. And btw, how you can rightly measure that level of humidity, without putting inside the enclosure a serious (and quite technologic) device that, only that alone, would cost more than 20 T's/scorpions?

Those 'humidity' devices of pet shops are garbage, but they need, obviously, to sell those. Also, humidity % always varies site to site, people to people, like Lotto numbers. In general the risk to end with a wet like a swamp substrate are very higher. Bad.

I tell you, genus Heterometrus needs, basically, the same level of moisture that Asian Theraphosidae needs.

Do this... when preparing the substrate, if you want to mantain humidity on the long run, add a couple of (normal Tea spoon) vermiculite fine grain (fine grain). Mix well that in the substrate. Mantain the substrate slightly moist or moist (this depends by factors like living in a particular dry area).

Done :-s

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I remember when I used to worry about humidity. Nearly drenched in water substrate is too humid. Don't worry too much about what your meter says if your scorp needs more humidity it'll just burrow deeper. Cover 90% of the enclosure you DO NOT want to cover 100% as lack of ventilation is just asking for mold. Is the substrate compact and moist to the touch? If yes then you're fine. Consider a false bottom set up. It helps keep humidity and the soil moist without having to mist.

the19thScorpion

Arachnopeon
well this makes me feel better about it. You can see the humidity all on the glass in the substrate and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to make MORE. so thanks!

I actually thought about using aluminum foil but didn't think the heat from the heat emitter would go through it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
This is why cheap hygrometers are bad. Just keep the substrate damp, when you notice it getting lighter,(color) add more water.

Mila

Arachnoknight
When you have that fine water droplets forming you have a really high humidity. Cheap measuring tools suck

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gala I miss you old friend didn't know any of the OG were still around

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, yeah I saw you in your avatar and thought, the doood is back, you look the same btw.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You ever get that itch to talk scorpion? Lol that's why I came back

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
If you are "seeing humidity" in the form of water droplets on the sides, you are plenty humid.
If I can't get mine high enough i glad wrap (saran wrap I think they call it in Ameriland) some of the top, or tape up some of the ventilation holes. I know it's been said, but really wet substrate is a no no, even for tropical species. I used to depend on a hygrometer but after mine showed 90%, outside, in what I knew to be only 30% ish, I stopped trusting them