Having Some Trouble Feeding Arboreals?

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
Hello
I'm starting to feel sorry for you, Mr. Scorpion dude. You're so anxiously awaiting your spider to DO something! The truth is...spiders do absolutely nothing, a lot. :p Chill. :cool:

Yours might be in premolt, since it is fat, it might not. If it is not hungry and isn't going to molt soon, its not going to bother webbing much at the moment. In my experience, they make a big hammock in a hurry if they need to molt and don't have one. And yes, avics molt on their backs like most spiders, just laying in a hammock and not on the ground.
Most of the moisture needed for molting comes from within the spider (properly hydrated-waterdish available). Make sure you keep your crickets well hydrated before feeding them. And I am in Canada too, albeit from a humid area (Windsor). In the winter its as dry as a bone in my apartment due to electric heat. But the scores of spiders that I have all molt OK.
My small spiders all have a higher humidity due to the small tubs they are in with humid substrate. I keep youngsters all the same. I don't know how large your avic is.

About the feeding. IMO, the avics (all arboreal spiders) know perfectly well if a prey item has been added to the enclosure. They seem to be more concerned about the non-prey vibrations (you opening the lid, or moving the container) and will not eat until the coast is clear, so to speak. All of mine wait for at least five minutes after I've stopped touching their cage before they'll come out and take the food. This is just my observation. And its the opposite of most of my terrestrials. My Grammastola and Nhandu will not run or freeze but come forward and snatch the food from the cup if they can. Avics are cautious.

Avics in a strange place might bolt a foot or so, but then stop. Again, they seem too cautious to take off for parts unknown.
Your avic might be slipping on the side of the tank due to a film of oil. Brand new aquariums sometimes have a film on them.
And lastly, yes, the left side of the cases I showed is all screen. When I line them up on my shelf, the avics can spray poop on the cage next to them. So I gotta wipe the inside and outside of the cases.
Cheers
D.

Mr.Scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks. I was just worried something might be wrong because she hasnt moved out of the tube in 3 days now, going on 4.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Understandable indeed. I often feel the same about my arboreals when they shut themselves in and don't appear to do much. Time and experience though have taught me to worry less...

The old adage that 'a spider not trying to go anywhere is a spider happy where it is' is particularly the case here, I feel...