Hati hati not eating

ArdaPlt

Arachnopeon
In 18 august my 8cm hati hati tried to molt vertically but unfortunatly got stuck in the molt. Her one leg ripped of (slighly joined to carapace) and abdomen stuck in molt. I waited 1 day to see if she can manage it self but she could not so that I gently poured water drops on her abdomen and got rid of molt. The leg dropped and sealed. She had not eaten since that they. I rehoused her in a big enclosure but she couldn't get used to there not made a nest and refused to eat so that I changed its enclosure to more smaller one. She webbed the substrate and I think she is better in there. I am concerned of its feeding. She refuses foods. Nearly 2 month passed and she did not eat anything. She was picky about food before. I was killing the roach/worm and leaving it, that's how it ate. What can I do? Can she molt with small abdomen not eating anything?
0C772958-403A-4F8C-8265-39CBEAE1AF62.jpeg IMG_1010.jpeg IMG_1007.jpeg
last 2 is current.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
??? The last two pictures are of it currently???
It's been eating something because it's plump as all get out .
Add some silk plants in front of it's hide and set in some wood for it to sit out on.

Your enclosure needs some work but that spider despite the bad molt,looks to be in pretty good shape IMO.

Check the molt and see if you can tell if it molted and got its stomach out as well. If it had a bad molt that might be a problem. Google it if your not sure what I'm talking about. Sucking stomach. As big as it is you should be able to see it well enough without having to use a microscope.

ArdaPlt

Arachnopeon
I think this is sucking stomach. I dont have the molt, just this picture. IMG_1022.jpeg
She did not grow a lot in this molt so that her abdomen did not shrinked. I increased the temperature to speed up the process. I will upgrade the enclosure to a bigger and lots of hide. Thanks for your response.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
I'd really hate to say if that's what I'm seeing from that picture. Possibly someone else may feel different and tell you for sure.

Increased the temperature to get it to molt? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by you raised the temperature to speed up the process?

Your spider IMO is like I said despite the bad molt,is surprisingly in nice shape.

I have sat next to a actual wall of Cyriopagopus species and never had to raise anything but the temperature in the entire room when it gets cold outside like winter and stuff.

Last edited:

ArdaPlt

Arachnopeon
I'd really hate to say if that's what I'm seeing from that picture. Possibly someone else may feel different and tell you for sure.

Increased the temperature to get it to molt? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by you raised the temperature to speed up the process?
I do not understand what you mean?
Does not temperature have effect on molt?

ArdaPlt

Arachnopeon

Your spider IMO is like I said despite the bad molt,is surprisingly in nice shape.

I have sat next to a actual wall of Cyriopagopus species and never had to raise anything but the temperature in the entire room when it gets cold outside like winter and stuff.
Oh ı did not see your edit. So I will just wait for molt or feeding.

Mustafa67

Arachnopeon
In 18 august my 8cm hati hati tried to molt vertically but unfortunatly got stuck in the molt. Her one leg ripped of (slighly joined to carapace) and abdomen stuck in molt. I waited 1 day to see if she can manage it self but she could not so that I gently poured water drops on her abdomen and got rid of molt. The leg dropped and sealed. She had not eaten since that they. I rehoused her in a big enclosure but she couldn't get used to there not made a nest and refused to eat so that I changed its enclosure to more smaller one. She webbed the substrate and I think she is better in there. I am concerned of its feeding. She refuses foods. Nearly 2 month passed and she did not eat anything. She was picky about food before. I was killing the roach/worm and leaving it, that's how it ate. What can I do? Can she molt with small abdomen not eating anything?
View attachment 457636 View attachment 457637 View attachment 457638
last 2 is current.
Is the final pic your enclosure?

You need a LOT more sub. That enclosure is not big enough and not properly sized. Also, idk about that hide a hide shouldn’t be junk (a broken plant pot). Also your substrate looks wet, not moist.

I feel sorry for the poor Tarantula to be kept like this :confused:

ArdaPlt

Arachnopeon
Is the final pic your enclosure?

You need a LOT more sub. That enclosure is not big enough and not properly sized. Also, idk about that hide a hide shouldn’t be junk (a broken plant pot). Also your substrate looks wet, not moist.

I feel sorry for the poor Tarantula to be kept like this :confused:
There is 5 cm substrate also this is temporal enclosure. I used plant pot to not deal with mold issues. I can not find cork bark. I just filled the water dish so that is a little wet.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The leg dropped and sealed.
This is nothing to worry about, it will begin to regrow when it molts next time!
I rehoused her in a big enclosure but she couldn't get used to there not made a nest and refused to eat so that I changed its enclosure to more smaller one.
This sounds like a lot of changes to its environment in a short period of time so its going to just need time to settle in.
I am concerned of its feeding. She refuses foods. Nearly 2 month passed and she did not eat anything.
Honestly 2 months is nothing to be concerned about not eating. From the photos your tarantula is not thin in even the slightest regard and is actually quite healthily plump! Try feeding again in about a month, if it still needs more food it will eat! If there was a problem with the sucking stomach there's nothing you can do about that. Also the enclosure really isn't great it should be set up a bit better.

ArdaPlt

Arachnopeon
This is nothing to worry about, it will begin to regrow when it molts next time!

This sounds like a lot of changes to its environment in a short period of time so its going to just need time to settle in.

Honestly 2 months is nothing to be concerned about not eating. From the photos your tarantula is not thin in even the slightest regard and is actually quite healthily plump! Try feeding again in about a month, if it still needs more food it will eat! If there was a problem with the sucking stomach there's nothing you can do about that. Also the enclosure really isn't great it should be set up a bit better.
Thanks for your help. I will change the enclosure and wait her to settle in. isn't this her sucking stomach?

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for your help. I will change the enclosure and wait her to settle in. isn't this her sucking stomach?
No problem! And yes that does look like it, which is great and will ease you worries. Just make sure it has water avilable to it, and dont stress about any urgency in feeding; tarantulas can go for very extended periods of time in between food!

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
I do not understand what you mean?
Does not temperature have effect on molt?
I have no knowledge nor have I ever read a single thing about raising or lowering or temps in general having a impact with a spider molting.
I encourage you to research on here as much as you can about your spider and it's care

You have a spider that requires some respect in dealing with and I feel like you have armed yourself with very little basic information.

ArdaPlt

Arachnopeon
No problem! And yes that does look like it, which is great and will ease you worries. Just make sure it has water avilable to it, and dont stress about any urgency in feeding; tarantulas can go for very extended periods of time in between food!
I have an adult Davus Pentaloris she is not eating for 6 months…
I have no knowledge nor have I ever read a single thing about raising or lowering or temps in general having a impact with a spider molting.
I encourage you to research on here as much as you can about your spider and it's care

You have a spider that requires some respect in dealing with and I feel like you have armed yourself with very little basic information.
I am keeping T’s for a long time and this happened to me once so that I opened an account to get help from more experienced keepers. I have been following this site for a long time and it has helped me improve a lot. For the temperature issue I am power feeding the slings until they get to juve and the temperature helps speed up the molt time so that I thought it may help her.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
That’s still within the scope ot normality and since it sounds like you are a very heavy feeder to be expected when feeding like that. Also that feeding concept (power feeding) from the reptiles hobby doesn’t work the same way as it does with those animals with tarantulas. It only leads to prolonged fasting times as you are currently experiencing.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight

I am keeping T’s for a long time and this happened to me once so that I opened an account to get help from more experienced keepers. I have been following this site for a long time and it has helped me improve a lot. For the temperature issue I am power feeding the slings until they get to juve and the temperature helps speed up the molt time so that I thought it may help her.
I get what you are saying but I'm going to offer a flip side of the coin.
The temperature in the room where all of my spider's are kept, besides new spider's. Stays the same give or take year round. I'm sure they sence a difference in day and night duration and temperatures as well as humidity

The colder it is,the less active my spider's are the warmer times,they are certainly more active. To my mind it doesn't matter. If my spider is fat .......its not going to eat
Power feeding leads to exactly what your seeing except for when you do this and end up with a spider blown out and they eventually molt.. you get a spider that has a really tiny abdomen and IMO not the best mean of keeping.

That said you may be doing so to push them to mature because you are breeding I dunno I'm just giving my one cent worth in terms of general keeping.

And........lol I'm not really sure how power feeding applies to spiders. If I feed a huge meal to a already nice and healthy looking spider that I keep,it could be months before I see it again.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 457636 View attachment 457637 View attachment 457638
last 2 is current.
Looks healthy to me.
power feeding leads to this the famous obesit T , 4 months later still hasn’t molted. IMG_4599.jpeg