Has anybody been able to keep and breed pill millipedes?

LittleOddIsopod

Arachnosquire
Holy cow these things are epic. I’ve heard of pill millipedes but never seen a video. I would really like to get a few of these, but only if I would be able to keep them alive. I have heard that they are all wild caught and they die within a few months (because no one can figure out how to feed them). Any insight?

LittleOddIsopod

Arachnosquire
Holy cow these things are epic. I’ve heard of pill millipedes but never seen a video. I would really like to get a few of these, but only if I would be able to keep them alive. I have heard that they are all wild caught and they die within a few months (because no one can figure out how to feed them). Any insight?

Despite the video title, they are called pill millipedes, and are more closely related to millipedes than isopods.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Everything you've said is true. It's thought the giant ones have gut microbes to help them break down wood, and that it's hard for them to re-acquire the microbes in captivity. I did hear of one person who kept one alive for two years, but that was the exception, and they're thought to live decades in the wild. Most animals just haven't been figured out, and this is one of them.

LittleOddIsopod

Arachnosquire
Everything you've said is true. It's thought the giant ones have gut microbes to help them break down wood, and that it's hard for them to re-acquire the microbes in captivity. I did hear of one person who kept one alive for two years, but that was the exception, and they're thought to live decades in the wild. Most animals just haven't been figured out, and this is one of them.
That’s a shame, as they are incredible creatures. As cool as they are, I do not wish to keep an animal doomed to death after a matter of months.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I will say, though, that the other suborder of pill millipedes, though it consists of smaller species, is both charming and easier to keep. They don't have the charisma of larger pill millipedes, but they are cute.

LittleOddIsopod

Arachnosquire
I will say, though, that the other suborder of pill millipedes, though it consists of smaller species, is both charming and easier to keep. They don't have the charisma of larger pill millipedes, but they are cute.
How big do they get?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
A few small European species in the genus Glomeris and a couple diminutive US natives have been cultured successfully, they have the same requirements as most other millipedes, a substrate of rotten wood and dead leaves, supplemented with dog food, fruits and veggies, etc. I think most of them are about the size of a large Armadillidium vulgare when full grown.

None of the large African or Madagascan species have been consistently bred in captivity, and most species can't even kept alive for long, probably due in part to a specialized diet, and the poor conditions they are shipped in, (they often arrive half dead).

Not sure about the various Asian species, I've heard mixed reviews when it comes to breeding them, and they don't seem to be too commonly imported.

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
Lots of these are on Indian species kept in labs and different relationships with fungi and bacteria, as well as compost. Sorry for dumping all these articles, don't know if they are the species you are looking at.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@benjaminfrogs has had some pill millipedes that he is selling from Asia that he's had for over a month now, and they seem to be doing O.K. I would suggest contacting him if you're interested in buying some.
The only large pill millipedes that I have heard being successfully cultured are Arthrosphaera brandti cf., the Tanzanian Pill Millipede, and you can't get those in the U.S right now.

Anyway, I hope that helps,

Arthroverts

P.S.
If you find any other species for sale, let me know!

Thanks

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
Oops that was me. A lot of times when I'm browsing on my phone I accidentally click things without realizing it. Sorry about that

Mpaul213

Arachnopeon
Go out and find some fallen hardwood trees in decay, or buy it from people online. If you live in a arid area, (like me), then the latter is likely your only option. Places like BIC have good substrate options available.
Thanks, I am familiar with his millipede substrate. I guess i need to get some headed my way.

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
Mine are doing good not sure about long term prospects but so far so good. The deaths ive had so far ive contributed to shipping related issues. These guys dont ship well because they spook easy. Once they sense vibrations they just pop into a ball super quick

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Mine are doing good not sure about long term prospects but so far so good. The deaths ive had so far ive contributed to shipping related issues. These guys dont ship well because they spook easy. Once they sense vibrations they just pop into a ball super quick
How long have you had them? Most die from starvation, which is hard to see.