Harvestmen in the hobby?

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
So, I just found out there’s quite a lot of types of Harvestmen and after seeing some really cool pics on Instagram I was wondering whether these guys are commonly available or kept (if they can even be kept). What would their care be like in comparison to other inverts?,

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Ive seen them for sale a few times but I can't remember what species. Some people keep them communally I think

Edit: It was Vonones ornata. I have never kept them though

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Ive seen them for sale a few times but I can't remember what species. Some people keep them communally I think

Edit: It was Vonones ornata. I have never kept them though
Ive seen V. Ornata for sale a few times, but besides those I’ve never seen any other species. I’d definitely be interested in other ones if they’d be available and not super expensive.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Vonones get sold sometimes, you probably have some native to your state.

You can try requesting them from people who do south American imports, they got nice ones out there.

Edit: I looked and you have atleast 2 sp in your state. sayi and ornatus

paumotu

Arachnobaron
I know limited imports of South American Opiliones have taken place in the past (I think this may have been when Chile was still open, I vaguely remember one called ‘Red Devil Harvestman’), and some very interesting species did end up coming out of there for the US hobby. Apparently there was no successful breeding and they weren’t hardy or popular enough to continue importing, and so they are gone in the US. (To my knowledge, that is.)

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
People definitely keep them, in fact there are many threads on here related to care.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Vonones ornata and sayi are commonly kept in the American hobby. In Europe Metagyndes innata from Chile have been imported, but long-term success has been lacking as they need consistently cool temperatures (50-60F) which the majority of enthusiasts aren't able to maintain. This is true in my readings of many large opiliones with elaborate morphology (needing cool temperatures that is); a friend of mine with a large, black species from Thailand lost all of his specimens after the temperature got a little too warm.

Otherwise most species just simply aren't collected (which may be a good thing considering their seeming sensitivity), which is the reason why I consider opiliones the final frontier when it comes to large arachnids kept in captivity.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Vonones ornata and sayi are commonly kept in the American hobby. In Europe Metagyndes innata from Chile have been imported, but long-term success has been lacking as they need consistently cool temperatures (50-60F) which the majority of enthusiasts aren't able to maintain. This is true in my readings of many large opiliones with elaborate morphology (needing cool temperatures that is); a friend of mine with a large, black species from Thailand lost all of his specimens after the temperature got a little too warm.

Otherwise most species just simply aren't collected (which may be a good thing considering their seeming sensitivity), which is the reason why I consider opiliones the final frontier when it comes to large arachnids kept in captivity.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Actually just contacted a breeder that used to have M. Innata and was telling me if they’re kept in temps higher than 74°, they will slowly decline. Will be very tough for me as I live in Florida and my coldest room is 71°.

sucks to hear, I was really hoping they wouldn’t be too difficult to keep or at least the crazy/exotic looking ones.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I've tried capturing native ones but they never seem to take to captivity.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Actually just contacted a breeder that used to have M. Innata and was telling me if they’re kept in temps higher than 74°, they will slowly decline. Will be very tough for me as I live in Florida and my coldest room is 71°.

sucks to hear, I was really hoping they wouldn’t be too difficult to keep or at least the crazy/exotic looking ones.
That's if you could even get them here in the first place, I don't believe any exotic opiliones have ever been made available to American enthusiasts outside of maybe a few specimens here and there close to a decade ago (2000-2010ish seems to be when most Metagyndes were imported).

Thanks,

Arthroverts