hardwood?

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok,someone told me that the key to successfully keeping many species of millies is hardwood and hardwood leaves.what exactly is hardwood?and can i find hardwood in florida???

dragonfly

Arachnopeon
The best wood you can use for millipede's is oak they alsowe need the leafs of this tree for the hardness of there exoskelet.
Sorry for my english.:8o

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm i cant think of anything similar here in florida.i was sent a small amount of "hardwood" and it almost looks like those long pieces of mulch people put around gardens.although there is a red version of this mulch,the stuff that was sent to me was a natural wood color.what kind of wood is that mulch?

Voodooschaaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
U do not have any woods around, huh?
here in Germany it is quite easy to get rotten hardwood, just look around in the woods and here it is.
U need to collect some "deathwood", such stuff u can smush with your fingers when it is wet, if it feels like a sponge this will be allright.
Millies luv this stuff, they eat this and as the posts before mentioned, it is really necessary to keep the millies exosceleton healthy.

"Mulch" as u call it is not so good, because it is made from resinous wood which is not the same as rotten wood, this is not the best choice for millies.
If i would know if it is allowed to ship it to US I would do because I have lots of tons here dried, well packed and in the rotten condition as u need it.

Greez,
Shura and the whole bunch

Last edited:

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
www.doubleds.org has oak leaves and bedding for roaches but he sais the bedding is good for things that eat rotten wood,,is this exactly what i need???

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Hardwoods are trees like: oak, maple, beech, birch, hickory, sycamore, linden, sweet gum, cherry, apple, ash, osage, willow et c. I know you have many of those growing in florida.

Softwoods are: pine, fir, yew, cedar, cypress, redwood, spruce (basically any evergreen) et c.

LadyBlacksword

Arachnopeon
Having frequently visited Fl, I'd suggest the oaks you call "live oaks". Or anything else that has no leaves in winter.......Where in Florida are you?
Murri