Hapolopelma Lividum Health

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
When should I be worried that my Cobalt Blue tarantula isn't eating? I have a G Rosea that fasted for 7 months, so I know they can go a while without food, but how long until I should worry about this species? The abdomen is on the smaller side but isnt shriveled or anything, and he is fairly active. He did have a good bit of stress in the 3 weeks I've had him, so that may be it. But is there a time when I should really start worrying about him?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
What size is it? Is it an adult?

If so it could just be settling in still. 3 weeks isnt long

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
What size is it? Is it an adult?

If so it could just be settling in still. 3 weeks isnt long
Well its a little over 4 inches across. Im not sure if its a male one molt away from maturity, or if its a female, i have no clue.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This species has a naturally slim abdomen. It'll never develop a golf ball abdomen like most terrestrial species. Even when "fat", they still have a teardrop shaped abdomen. From the pictures you've posted, yours looks perfectly fine.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
This species has a naturally slim abdomen. It'll never develop a golf ball abdomen like most terrestrial species. Even when "fat", they still have a teardrop shaped abdomen. From the pictures you've posted, yours looks perfectly fine.
Alright. Thanks for all the help man! All my other species are... Idk, more for beginners? So I'm a little fussy over this T. Also.... Im super afraid of him. Im probably too cautious around him, even. Does it just get better with more experience? I've just heard horror stories about this species.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Alright. Thanks for all the help man! All my other species are... Idk, more for beginners? So I'm a little fussy over this T. Also.... Im super afraid of him. Im probably too cautious around him, even. Does it just get better with more experience? I've just heard horror stories about this species.
The jump reflex goes away with time, yes. But I still get sweaty palms when I have to rehouse this species. The most important thing is to not overreact when (not if) it gets defensive.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
The jump reflex goes away with time, yes. But I still get sweaty palms when I have to rehouse this species. The most important thing is to not overreact when (not if) it gets defensive.
XD I've seen it throw a very angry threat posture, but it was cupped at that time so I wasnt too scared. Also, another question. What kind of air flow does this species need? I have drilled plexiglass on the lid, and im wondering if this is enough air for him.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
XD I've seen it throw a very angry threat posture, but it was cupped at that time so I wasnt too scared. Also, another question. What kind of air flow does this species need? I have drilled plexiglass on the lid, and im wondering if this is enough air for him.
It looks perfectly fine to me. You may have mold/fungus growth every now and again because of how humid it needs to be, but it's not a big deal. One of my H. lividum has a full on mushroom in her enclosure right now.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
It looks perfectly fine to me. You may have mold/fungus growth every now and again because of how humid it needs to be, but it's not a big deal. One of my H. lividum has a full on mushroom in her enclosure right now.
Perfect, thank you so much. I promise I'm not super clueless. I have four other tarantulas I know exactly how to take care of XD.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Update:

I've put this spider in a 5 gal tank with 7 inches of substrate. He has eaten for me, become much more relaxed, and is webbing everywhere. I hasn't begun burrowing yet, but fingers crossed. I am a bit concerned because he hangs around the water dish an awful lot. I'm not sure if hes dehydrated or anything, but i make sure to keep it full of fresh clean water. He seems to be doing very well.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Update:

I've put this spider in a 5 gal tank with 7 inches of substrate. He has eaten for me, become much more relaxed, and is webbing everywhere. I hasn't begun burrowing yet, but fingers crossed. I am a bit concerned because he hangs around the water dish an awful lot. I'm not sure if hes dehydrated or anything, but i make sure to keep it full of fresh clean water. He seems to be doing very well.
How moist do you keep the substrate? I had an A. geniculata that would hover on the water dish (standing over it) when the substrate wasn't wet enough for them.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
How moist do you keep the substrate? I had an A. geniculata that would hover on the water dish (standing over it) when the substrate wasn't wet enough for them.
I havent seen him over it, he just likes to make his little web nests right beside it. I keep the humidity about 80 percent. I was told to simply over flow the water dish now and again to do that. Is this correct? Other people have told me to mist lightly with a spray bottle. which do you prefer?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I havent seen him over it, he just likes to make his little web nests right beside it. I keep the humidity about 80 percent. I was told to simply over flow the water dish now and again to do that. Is this correct? Other people have told me to mist lightly with a spray bottle. which do you prefer?
I don't keep this species but I do keep a couple fossorial species and tropical species that need wet substrate. I like to pour water directly onto the substrate so it penetrates deep down and stays moist. Misting soaks the top layer and then dries out. I also add sphagnum moss which holds moisture very well.

cold blood

Staff member
Dont chase humidity numbers...toss the hygrometer before it causes trouble.

Sub just needs to be kept damp, as moxie said, pour water directly onto the sub when it starts to dry.

Stop reading care sheets.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I was told to simply over flow the water dish now and again to do that. Is this correct? Other people have told me to mist lightly with a spray bottle. which do you prefer?
Moist substrate. Moist, not wet. In particular now, since in Winter furnaces etc are 'wild' :)

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Hey, how active is this species? He ate at the first of this month, just one cricket. However, he hasn't burrowed and he moves around and night, but seems pretty sluggish Is it normal for them to not really move all that much, or should I offer more food, or could something else be the matter?