haplopelma schmidti dead!please read

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My h.schmidti female (black morph) dropped dead on me today.I have had her for 3 yrs.She had a 5.5in legspan. She was raised from a sling from w.c parents.I noticed 3 days ago she looked unusually weak and slow.She molted about 2 months ago.Her legs were sort of curled under but not like a death curl.she was a bit wobbly and when i came home today she was on her back apparently from rolling over.I examined her chelicerae and posterior for the signs of nematode infestation.All is clear,has anyone else experienced this.Btw she had a full waterdish and was feeding well.Any info would be helpful as I am pissed,she was one of my fav. girls!

tarantula_tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss. Was it possible that she could have fallen from climbing in the tank? If the distance between the substrate and the top of the cage is greater than her leg span that might be what happened.

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tom,i don't beleive she fell she is not in a deep cage and she had a nice burrow.I am clueless to what happened.

tarantula_tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Then its probably been a parasite passed on from her WC parents. I've read that WC H. schmidti are quite often imported with some kind of parasite. Also heard that WC black forms are harder to keep in captivity, that they die usually very soon, but you had yours for 3 years and raised from a sling even. So its most likely its been a nasty parasite.

Catherine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm sorry about your loss. It sucks when you lose a T, especially if its one that you've had from a sling. If she was from WC parents, i suppose its possible that it was a parasite, especially if their are no external signs of damage, mites or fungus. I don't really know about parasites, I don't know how long they incubate, or how long they stay inside the host. I suppose it would depend on what sort it was. Could you bring yourself to do an autopsy?

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry about your loss :( If you had her from a sling, even with wc parents I wouldn't think it could be parasitic from the parents. I could be a genetic defect passed on from the parents, maybe? What is the life expectancy on this species anyway?

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.I am not sure what happened to her she was always a healthy gal.I agree with Wayne,I don't think it was a parasite unless it came in with the crickets.Which is possible,I hate crickets.I wanted to get a roach colony goin,but anytime the girlfriend hears roach she gets freaked out lol.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
yes sorry to hear that..

Could it have been a new product brought into the house?
new cleaner, air freshener.. ect.

That's my two cents.. it would seem to me.. that a parasite from the parents would have been trouble from the start?? no??

was she vibrant and healthy all along ?

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nerri,I have not brought any new cleaners ect.in the house.She was always healthy, good eater ect.Iwas talking to a friend the other day he stated that the gold h.schmidti was a lowland species and the black h.schmidti was ahighland (montane)sp.Maybe i should have cooled her down more during the winter months.Not sure what happened.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Are you SURE she was dead? My lividum "died" four about 4-5 hours. I stretched her "body" out in the sun. She would not move, not one bit. I came out a few hours later and stroked her let... it twitched. She came back to life... then molted. WEIRDEST thing I have ever seen... she's doing it again right now.

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MizM,She just molted 2 months ago so i'm sure she was not in premolt.I let her sit in her cage for a day just to make sure she was gone.I even checked her out before i put her in the freezer.I got absolutely no response.This girl was a hellion.If i would have tried to pick her up she would go nuts.That's a weird story about your lividum.Never heard anything like that before.You should put her in a side show or something!
Later Brian

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
sometimes Ts just die and leaves "???" in our mind.. sorry to hear that

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I just don't understan my girl at all. She's been in this condition for a week now, hope she either molts or passes away soon, she seems to be suffering.... and I KNOW I am! :(

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MizM,can u post a pic?I'd like to see what she is doing.That is weird.Later Brian

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Here is the whole story with a recent pic.

Had a heck of a time finiding it with forum> sub forum> sub-sub forum....

She's still the same. The movement stops at night when I turn of the light and she cools down, then she starts again when she warms up. Just stretching the legs, celicerae, spinnerettes in a rhythmic motion. WEIRD!!

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Deffiently sounds like she needs more heat terri perhaps she was wc from a hotter area?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Yeah, Cambodia is a BIT warmer than California!! {D

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is Bodisky not taking Ts that have passed away in for study anymore? I don't see the sticky. (I thought there was one.)

Sorry to hear about the death, but I wish you could find out what caused it. :(

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey MizM,What happened to the h.lividum?Did she molt?She definately looks like she is in premolt,her chelicerae are really distended.Hope she makes it lividums are damn cool spids.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
NOPE! She's STILL in what looks like death curl, but still with constant, rhythmic moving! :(