Handling

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh sweet, another handling thread...

Good thing, too, because the boards are definitely lacking in them. We only have, what, about 1,287 or so?
Like I stated previously, if it bothers you stop commenting.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
Moving on..
I handle my Ts a lot!! They're fluffy and sweet!! My favorite to handle is my A versicolor juvie, though she is admittedly getting meaner with each molt. I let my three adult B vagans and my two adult A avciularia stretch their legs once or twice a week each. My sister and I love seeing all the different decisions they make trying to run around and hide. We don't hold my G rosea as much these days because she's rather unhealthy.
None of them seem to be overly stressed from relatively frequent handling. The only threat poses I get from them are when they aren't hungry and I keep offering food. I don't know, maybe I'm the spider whisperer.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Good thing, too, because the boards are definitely lacking in them. We only have, what, about 1,287 or so?
Well, I was trying hard to resist, but those of you who know me understand that I just gotta weigh in on this.

The reality that there are so many handling threads points up the interest and the controversy that the subject provokes.

This is actually a "non-handling" thread. The OP asked to hear from folk who DON'T handle their tarantulas. I don't recall seeing a large number of those.

I understand that there are many T keepers that don't handle, never have, never will, and I respect that. By the same token, I consider handling one of the ultimate highs of this hobby, and I appreciate the understanding and respect that the non-handling partisans extend to me.

One thing is for sure, I really appreciate the fact that we can have discussions like this. As they say in France, "Vive la difference!"

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Never mind these comments, it is just a way to get some attention. If he wanted other than that, he would have posted something relevant for the OP.

RyanW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Handling Pokies

Thought this would get a few laughs. I handle T's to the extreme! How many of you hold pokies behind your ear?

This P. regalis got out of the container before I could throw in a cricket. Ear.jpg

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like he's comfy and cozy, like he's settled right in ... tell us, is he still there?

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
many species can be handled, however all prefer to be left alone. i leave mine alone all the time except when rehousing, or using for educational purposes.

Demonjack123

Arachnopeon
Why not? I handle my A. Avic all the time. You just need to show them respect and not be rough with them, and you'll be just fine. My Avic has only pooped on me twice since the time I owned her, and most other times she is calm.

---------- Post added 09-29-2011 at 05:20 PM ----------

Roflmao! XD

---------- Post added 09-29-2011 at 05:24 PM ----------

Thought this would get a few laughs. I handle T's to the extreme! How many of you hold pokies behind your ear?

This P. regalis got out of the container before I could throw in a cricket. View attachment 93924
That is so awesome! And yes Pokies are indeed cute! =D

---------- Post added 09-29-2011 at 05:25 PM ----------

many species can be handled, however all prefer to be left alone. i leave mine alone all the time except when rehousing, or using for educational purposes.
Well same could be said about them being bred and sold. Originally all tarantulas had to come from the wild so I would have to say with confidence they didn't want to be taken from their natural habitat either and would have wanted to be left alone.

Last edited: