Handling and Holding Your T - How Much Is Too Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliTheBrit

Arachnopeon
So, I have a beautiful Chile Rose, which I love very much :)

He/She (seriously given up figuring it out) is a Sub-Adult, and doesn't seem to mind being held, I like to let him crawl around my hands and sometimes he will just sit and enjoy the warmth of them

So what about you guys? Personally I think never holding them would be a bad thing, would make them more aggressive and frightened of any contact from you.

But I may be doing it too much, every few days I take him out for a play.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your best bet is to run a few searches through here - this topic has been addressed (and argued about) many times over. :)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1 time is too much.
Your best bet would be a dog.

Last edited:

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So, I have a beautiful Chile Rose, which I love very much :)

He/She (seriously given up figuring it out) is a Sub-Adult, and doesn't seem to mind being held, I like to let him crawl around my hands and sometimes he will just sit and enjoy the warmth of them

So what about you guys? Personally I think never holding them would be a bad thing, would make them more aggressive and frightened of any contact from you.

But I may be doing it too much, every few days I take him out for a play.
I only handle mine when it is necessary. Ex: She think it would be fun to crawl out during feeding; I move my hand in front of her and let her crawl back off into her enclosure.

Your tarantula will get no satisfaction from you handling her. The people that do handle their tarantulas do it only for the person satisfaction of saying "I held a big spider".

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The people that do handle their tarantulas do it only for the person satisfaction of saying "I held a big spider".
What if its a spiderling then? jk

I don't hold mine just to avoid the risk of one or both of us getting hurt. If I have to, such as a few days ago when I had to put my A. prupurea in an ICU, then I will. It just should only happen when it is necessary.

But hey, your tarantula, your choice. If you enjoy the interaction and are ok knowing the possible consequences, then gl;hf. :)

super-pede

Arachnobaron
I say never unless your transferring it to a nother enclosure or something like that.The tarantula is put in a lot of harm when it is held.

S-P

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I also say never . There's too much chance that something bad might happen .

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If YOU want to handle your tarantula, handle it.
regardless of what, who when why or where..

like stated your tarantula would rather not be handled.. but i do frequently handle my inverts.

i will continue to because I enjoy it.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well of course, you dont need to tell him/her that, he will do as he please.

We are giving the rigth recommendations.
Now, your T's will live shorter when stressed so much, thats for sure.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Handle as often as you want. Ignore snooty people who say otherwise. At first it's super exciting but you will get bored of it (or rather, not as interested in the handling part) long before the tarantulas will experience any ill effects.

People who have had tarantulas for a while seldom handle them. I see lots of posters getting on a high horse about how handling is dangerous for the tarantula and unnecessary (which is true), but the better reason not to handle is that after a while you have been there, done that.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd say hold it once a week tops, if you get a big high and all excited over it. holding them isnt traumatic, (not that I would know), but it could be, and its not the greatest thing to do with your T's or scorpions.

like i said, MY personal preference is once a week tops. Heck, I havent held my bird eater in 3 months and i just held my pink toe after 2 months of not holding it, but only to educate others with it. and every time i held my LP was because it was trying to escape.

I used to get a kick out of handling, but now I dont. to each his own

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Handle as often as you want. Ignore snooty people who say otherwise. At first it's super exciting but you will get bored of it (or rather, not as interested in the handling part) long before the tarantulas will experience any ill effects.
Well, I think you should get in contact with Rick West and company and give them some pointers, I see you know very well when and how stress affect the animals.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will let mine willingly walk on my hand if they want to, because, yeah...it is exciting to touch a tarantula. :) But I've never actually picked one up for the purpose of holding it. It's hard not to though, I want to squeeze and hug them....lol

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer

People who have had tarantulas for a while seldom handle them. I see lots of posters getting on a high horse about how handling is dangerous for the tarantula and unnecessary (which is true), but the better reason not to handle is that after a while you have been there, done that.
By ill effects do you mean dropping it and having it's insides burst out ?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Ya know.. This has got to be the most inteligent post I have ever read here.. :rolleyes:

I mean really.. Forget about the safty of the spider.. Hold it.. Risk its life.. Stress it out so it will have a shorter life.. Just so you can say you have been there & have done that.. :wall: :? :rolleyes:

Props for you being the smartest person here on arachnoboards... :eek: I said it! :rolleyes:

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm. This is kind of a big repeat of common threads. I guess I'll just briefly outline the usual arguments. Can't really get emotional about the arguments or attacks when it's such an oft repeated thread.

There is certainly risk of dropping the tarantula or possibly causing it some kind of stress. Everyone acknowledges that. So if all you care about is the tarantula being in as close to its native habitat as possible one should never handle them. But in that case you probably aren't looking for a pet as much as you want to be a zookeeper. Or better yet, a naturalist. Don't keep them at all. Just let them live in the wild.

It turns out I don't handle my tarantulas. Lots of experienced owners don't. But that doesn't mean I never did. When I got my first tarantula you bet I handled it. I'm guessing that's true of just about everyone posting in this thread, including the people who are all up in arms about not handling. It's kind of hypocritical to try and make people feel bad for handling their pets.

People asking this question are invariably new to the hobby. Why deny them the experience the rest of us have had? The point of my other post was that we shouldn't presume to make people feel bad for what just about all new tarantula owners do. Especially because handling tarantulas is something that loses its charm quickly, so pretty much everyone ends up not handling anyway.

I think we should let people move naturally away from handling, rather than trying to pressure or guilt them into it before they have the experience.

italian1x

Arachnopeon
hahaha! Redneck your the man. Yeah dude, honestly...Spiders are not toys. Just leave them be. If you want a pet you can play with, there are many other options available.

Status
Not open for further replies.