Handling a OBT

BillieJean

Arachnopeon
Does anyone think this is a good idea?

I saw someone do it on youtube, maybe they're not as dangerous as people think?

Last edited:

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That person just probably got lucky with a calmer one. They are still mean T's. There are some that are more tolerant than others, but with holding any old world T if you play around with fire one you will eventually get burnt.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hahahaha

I saw Abyss off the forums hold five deathstalkers, I should be fine harassing mine right?

Answer's always no.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
i saw people handling black widows on youtube i think i am going to do it!

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think I'll put my balls in a vice , I here that feels great! LOL.
Every t has it's own disposition! this much I know! I have held every t I have owned whether on purpose or I scared it and it ran onto me. I thought it was kinda cool but I feel bad too. It's not worth stressing the animal out. Most mean T's I mess with I like to keep the camera ready just in case I get bit or it runs on my face , ect.

web eviction

Arachnolord
I had an obt that was not defensive at all I actually handled it 3 different times not saying any one should handle any T's but it all depends on the individual T I think.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
As an avid supporter of handling whatever you feel capable of, I think you'd all do well to note the difference in behaviour between a T in its cage, and a T running around on your hand.

-Sean

DamoK21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I handled an P.murinus (OBT) once, she was a juvi NCF, gourgess girl, still is ;P

Ahhh yes great time, the problem with this handling that i did with her, was that it was not intensional, and she bit the wrong food item, and she didnt let go... OBT lached onto your thumb (after running up the tweezers to get it) was kinda painful, it hurt alot, 2 weeks of constant pain, cramping, the feeling that somone was using a jack hammer on my thumb constantly, burning, felt like my arm had been dipped in larva fun fun fun.

Iv handled my T's dont get me wrong, yea iv handled an OBT, without anything going wrong (Adult female RCF). Either that or she would have fallen of the side of her enclosure.

Iv handled Poecilotheria Spp, pich grab to sex them, or check them after a fall (in the past), had them run onto my arm, from sling to adult females/males. Even been bit by one, she didnt like the water i was giving her, all off them still very much alive today, regardless of the bite.

Ask your self these, and these are seriouse question.....

Are you capable of taking a bite, and allowing your self, not to fling the spider across the room ?

Are you ready to stress your T's out to the point that they HAVE to bite to defend them selfs ? (Bare in mind, they cant punch or kick, what else are they to do)

Are you ready to take a bite, that will seriously knock you for 6 ?

if the answers are No, No, annnnnd NO !!!

then forget what you see, and trust the people who have been there in the situation, and taken the plunge/bite, The people who know what these are capable of, NOT youtube.

Damo

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I once saw a guy jump off a cliff on youtube so it must be ok

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had an obt that was not defensive at all I actually handled it 3 different times not saying any one should handle any T's but it all depends on the individual T I think.
i agree with this. P. murinus' are generally rather defensive, but it does depend on the indavidual spider. mine is very docile and calm...now there's an oxymoron for you {D

synyster

Arachnobaron
Why is this discussion on handling OBT's even continuing? Any moron can handle this spider. Smart people tend to avoid trying. End.

BillieJean

Arachnopeon
Just to be clear, I only bother my T's when necessary (e.g. rehousing)... sorry if it sounded like I meant just because someone had done it with one OBT means anybody can do it with a totally different spider... the guy in the video mentioned it was in pre-molt. And there's even more variation between different spiders. I just wanted to hear some opinions about it, I didn't intend to propagate bad information about how to care for spiders.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why is this discussion on handling OBT's even continuing? Any moron can handle this spider. Smart people tend to avoid trying. End.
The reason is simple. Handling is the issue, and many people wants to tell if he/she is against handling or not. Does not matter in wich thread.

Gold Skulltula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't often disturb any of my Ts. The exception is rare picture opps.. I had NEVER been able to get a decent shot of anything other than my OBT's abdomen, so I decided to coax her out of her burrow.

She ended up climbing out of her enclosure and onto my arm/hand. She was fine the whole time. Exploritory, yes. Agressive? No.

Not something I'd rush to repeat again unless it was for some reason necessary, but I have to say my motives are more for the sake of not stressing out my T than fearing for my own safety. Every T is an individual, and I think some just don't fit in with their species' pre-made classification.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't often disturb any of my Ts. The exception is rare picture opps.. I had NEVER been able to get a decent shot of anything other than my OBT's abdomen, so I decided to coax her out of her burrow.

She ended up climbing out of her enclosure and onto my arm/hand. She was fine the whole time. Exploritory, yes. Agressive? No.

Not something I'd rush to repeat again unless it was for some reason necessary, but I have to say my motives are more for the sake of not stressing out my T than fearing for my own safety. Every T is an individual, and I think some just don't fit in with their species' pre-made classification.
Nice pic´s.

I dont know any T who is not much more mellow when out of their enclosure. Glad you got a good experience out of this ordeal;-)