Handicap T Help :)

Surfing Tigress

Arachnosquire
I acquired my first New World terrestrial T yesterday to add to the collection. He is a Brachypelma vagans, leg span about an inch across; we named him very fittingly Culo. My usual pet store has had him for quite a while and honestly I had been looking at him but waiting for him to get a bit bigger (the itty bitties aren't my thing lol) and go down in price. Yesterday I asked to see him out to see how big he had gotten. The worker has no idea how to handle Ts safely and gently this is for sure. She opened the container and took out the entirety of the Ts home and substrate going through it (outside the enclosure) to find him... turned out he escaped when she opened it and was just chilling on the other side of the lid.

We quickly realized he was not quite right... Culo is missing one and a half legs on one side, one leg on the other is kinda 'funky', he's missing an entire pedipalp, and one spinneret is kinda lopsided. Color and everything else looks good. If I had to guess she prob did this before when he was molting and he was damaged; also his enclosure was bone dry. He seemed to walk fine as he scurried up her arm trying to get away (which she reached without even seeing where he was and grabbed him way too roughly). I SIMPLY HAD TO BUY HIM and they sold him to me for $20 bc he was 'damaged' as they put it. I gave him a new much larger enclosure with lots of substrate and hiding spots and water. He immediately took to exploring all around and climbing the glass (which he isn't very good at it turns out so I am glad I put significantly more substrate than in my arboreals enclosures so he has less height to climb lol).

My question is: All of mine have always been healthy and whole lol... With all the 'damage' he has is there anything special I should be doing for him? Anything I should be looking out for?

*Pics not the greatest but he was in an awkward spot :)

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My question is: All of mine have always been healthy and whole lol... With all the 'damage' he has is there anything special I should be doing for him? Anything I should be looking out for?
If he has trouble taking live prey, you could maim it or even pre-kill the prey. Otherwise, care isn't any different, and he should be back to normal after a few molts.

Since he's a sling, you'll want to keep part of the substrate slightly moist in addition to providing a water dish (that is ideally flush with the substrate for ease of access).

However, that enclosure looks like it might be too tall for him. The distance between the top of the sub and the lid should not exceed 1.5 times his diagonal legspan. This is to prevent injuries from falls. (Though terrestrial, he'll still climb, but not well, and a fall from a significant height could rupture his abdomen, which is lethal.)

Additionally, there should not be any mesh (cover or replace screen lids) or anything jagged he could fall onto.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I acquired my first New World terrestrial T yesterday to add to the collection. He is a Brachypelma vagans, leg span about an inch across; we named him very fittingly Culo. My usual pet store has had him for quite a while and honestly I had been looking at him but waiting for him to get a bit bigger (the itty bitties aren't my thing lol) and go down in price. Yesterday I asked to see him out to see how big he had gotten. The worker has no idea how to handle Ts safely and gently this is for sure. She opened the container and took out the entirety of the Ts home and substrate going through it (outside the enclosure) to find him... turned out he escaped when she opened it and was just chilling on the other side of the lid.

We quickly realized he was not quite right... Culo is missing one and a half legs on one side, one leg on the other is kinda 'funky', he's missing an entire pedipalp, and one spinneret is kinda lopsided. Color and everything else looks good. If I had to guess she prob did this before when he was molting and he was damaged; also his enclosure was bone dry. He seemed to walk fine as he scurried up her arm trying to get away (which she reached without even seeing where he was and grabbed him way too roughly). I SIMPLY HAD TO BUY HIM and they sold him to me for $20 bc he was 'damaged' as they put it. I gave him a new much larger enclosure with lots of substrate and hiding spots and water. He immediately took to exploring all around and climbing the glass (which he isn't very good at it turns out so I am glad I put significantly more substrate than in my arboreals enclosures so he has less height to climb lol).

You had to buy? You were forced at gunpoint?? Sounds like a sketchy place to frequent.

You were robbed basically of your money, not worth 5$ even.

There's nothing you can do, watch and enjoy.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

I hope that employee has very itchy hands and arms by now :vamp:

Surfing Tigress

Arachnosquire
You had to buy? You were forced at gunpoint?? Sounds like a sketchy place to frequent. You were robbed basically of your money, not worth 5$ even. There's nothing you can do, watch and enjoy.
I say 'had to buy' because I was definitely not leaving him there.... I've got a soft spot for any animal in need. They are not a chain and are family owned which I like and I typically have a good experience with their large selection, quality of their setups, and knowledge of their animals. The owners are very passionate about their animals, they have several that actually live there, and they have one of the awesomest Giant Bird Eater enclosures I have ever seen.... not sure what was up with this girl or how this little guys injuries got missed.
I don't think of him as worthless though... Culo is just special :)

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Poor little guy prob was smashed in the lid by an employee who was tasked with feeding it. Or as you stated, maybe dry molts. In regards to the enclosure, I’m not a fan of large enclosures for slings. I like to keep them “cozy” where the food is near by and there’s no real hunting involved. Once they start to get larger then I give them room to explore.

Surfing Tigress

Arachnosquire
I hope that employee has very itchy hands and arms by now :vamp:
I mean on the one hand I am glad she isn't scared of them at all and willing to handle them... but the way she did so was wildly inappropriate and not safe for her, or the T

Poor little guy prob was smashed in the lid by an employee who was tasked with feeding it. Or as you stated, maybe dry molts. In regards to the enclosure, I’m not a fan of large enclosures for slings. I like to keep them “cozy” where the food is near by and there’s no real hunting involved. Once they start to get larger then I give them room to explore.
Ugh I cringe at the thought of him being so little and being smashed in the lid :punch::sorry::stop::(
& I completely agree... it isn't ideal for sure. Unfortunately with me leaving for Internship for 9 months soon I have to ensure it will not need rehousing before I get back. Feeding little guys in a big environment is always a challenge but it's the best solution at the moment :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I mean on the one hand I am glad she isn't scared of them at all and willing to handle them... but the way she did so was wildly inappropriate and not safe for her, or the T
Handling is inappropriate, imo. There is no need for it at all. Just get a clear delicup, catch cup the spider, show it to the customer from all angles and place it back. Way better than trying to catch it, have it running everywhere in panic because its habitat is completely razed because the spider needs to be shown... A fall, a bite, escape... Not good. I wonder how she does it with OW...

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
He needs a teeny tiny electric wheelchair

(Nah but good luck with him...if he’s climbing, he’s probably relatively mobile. As long as he can catch prey and reach his water dish....)

Tommydragon10

Arachnopeon
I would think that you are fine. If he can eat and molt properly (which if this is an old injury shouldn't affect him) then hes just a handicapped old spider