1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Scheduled Maintenance - Extended Downtime

Please click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Handfeed? or let hunt?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Leon945, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Leon945

Leon945 Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Hi All!
    I have question...
    As some of you may already know, I own 4 emperor scorpions..

I know that when they stick their heads out of the burrow with claws open.. they are waiting for food (right?)... NOW, my question is:

when i feed them, should i drop the food in front of them so they catch it quickly? or should i just drop the cricket in the tank and let THEM find it?

The tank is big.. and it has some plants and rocks to wich the crickets can hang on to..
    I regularly drop the crickets in front of them.. but.. am i making them lazy??

What do you guys think?

2. Raan_Jodus

Raan_Jodus Arachnodemon Old Timer

i just drop my crix in. They can fend for themselves. There is nothing wrong with dropping the crix close to the hole, but they will find the food eventually, or the food will come to them.

3. Fluid Filter

Fluid Filter Arachnoknight Old Timer

Mine are lazy. All they do is wait at the entrance of their burrow without ever leaving. Now i won't feed them until they actually crawl around the cage a little. It's been about 3 months now. Man they're stubborn. Now, it's a battle of wills!

4. tarsier

tarsier Arachnodemon

i just drop mine in

5. 1/2

1/2 Arachnosquire Old Timer

I just drop crix in. Theyr predators, hunting should be an instingt....

And my scorps tend to eat them within 12 hours...

6. cricket54

cricket54 Arachnoangel Old Timer

MS
    I drop crickets in for my scorps and let them catch them themselves every week. I have handfed a handicapped scorpion, but they don't always take it from you. Then I try again a week later. They are just unhappy with you pushing food in their face if they aren't interested, so its only hit and miss if they will take it. Sometimes crickets do die in their tanks from old age if they haven't been caught, or consumed, so I remove them as soon as I see them. I do leave live crickets in there longer then I ever would with my tarantulas.
    Anyway, they always seem to eat enough to keep them alive. You only need to drop a few in their homes at a time. Not a whole dozen. After a while, you can figure out how many they will eat in a week.

Sharon

7. Leon945

Leon945 Arachnosquire

Alrighty

Well!
    It's good to know that most of you guys just drop the food in.. i suppose i will do that.. besides, it might make them come out hehe, which is cool because i never see them..!

anyway.. thanks! :clap:

8. thesupermonkey

thesupermonkey Arachnosquire Old Timer

I usually remove the cricks jumping legs before I toss 'em in.
    Their still fast on four legs and your scorp has a better chance of catching them quicker. I would say don't handfeed unless necessary because it seems
    like it would tend to domesticate them to some extent which is counter productive to the whole point of keeping scorps. Just a thought...

9. Brian S

Brian S ArachnoGod Old Timer

I have 2 adult C margaritatus that will actually take crickets from my fingers lol

10. Fascination

Fascination Arachnopeon

I agree with super monkey. You should let them fend for themselves but before putting them in i would remove the hind legs.

11. Brian S

Brian S ArachnoGod Old Timer

There is no need to remove the hind legs believe me. They are quite capable of catching a cricket that has the ability to jump. Check out this 2nd instar C margaritatus, even it can catch a cricket with hind legs.

[​IMG]

12. MattM

MattM Arachnoknight Old Timer

Nice pic Brian.
    I was amazed to see my Leiurus catch the same size cricket. Never imagined they would handle it! But then again, one sting from the Leiurus and the cricket drops within 5 seconds :p

13. Prymal

Prymal Arachnoking Old Timer

Brian,

Nice to see a fellow "hand-feeder"!

Luc