Hadrurus arizonesis advice

Stevek18

Arachnopeon
I've currently got my room ambient at around 75ish Fahrenheit and I just acquired a desert hairy yesterday and I see conflicting information do they need to be heated to do better/well and If so what is the best method. Also as from image posted the faunarium isnt a permanent enclosure

Attachments

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I've currently got my room ambient at around 75ish Fahrenheit and I just acquired a desert hairy yesterday and I see conflicting information do they need to be heated to do better/well and If so what is the best method. Also as from image posted the faunarium isnt a permanent enclosure
When I kept H.arizonesis in the past they were kept at 85 F + on a sand clay mix 70% sand 30% clay and were heated by overhead ceramic heat lamps, I don't think heat mats on the rear provide enough heat for the UK climate.
Get rid of that water dish and obtain one that is shallow but rough textured not smooth and only offer water every 2 weeks for 48 hours then remove the dish.This species is very prone to Mycosis in med. to high humidity.

Stevek18

Arachnopeon
I have the mix as you said and the water dish is currently empty and I was aware of mycosis but the heat was my main concern

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I have the mix as you said and the water dish is currently empty and I was aware of mycosis but the heat was my main concern
Yes , I thought the substrate looked a clay mix, just change the water dish for one of the reptile ones that they sell for lizards and the like.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Mine are kept in the mid to high 60s in winter. It's their diapause period so they dont cone out anyway.

They emerge in spring.

Keeping yours at 75F is fine.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
As the summer temperature needs to be 85-90 F I think 75 F is as low as you should go winter time when they are dormant, that's still a 10/15 degree drop. I think any lower than that will cause problems long term.

Wishorama

Arachnopeon
Maybe a little late, but I wanted say I’ve had a Giant Hairy for a year now and it’s doing great with no heating pad. In winter the temps did get down overnight to the 60s. It has been very cold here in Atlanta, so much that I often needed extra blankets and the scorpion is one room away. I think it gets very cold in their natural habitat.

At the end of August, while it was still warm, he sealed up his burrow at both ends and settled in for diapause, which lasted until sometime in January when he came out. I fed him a cricket and he promptly sealed himself back inside for a couple more weeks and then came out for good. It was still very cold when he came out... strange, who knows what makes them tick.

He seems very active now, moving to different burrows frequently, jumping on the crickets I send down the burrow. I keep the humidity low, right now it’s at 32% and the temp is 73. I’ll fill his water dish up this weekend, I only do that infrequently.

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
75 should be OK all year round. They are very tolerant to high and low temperature considering their natural environment drops to 40s occasionally in the winter and rises past 120 in the summer.