1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hadrurus arizonesis advice

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Stevek18, Feb 14, 2019 at 4:57 AM.

1. Stevek18

Stevek18 Arachnopeon

Uk
    Advertisement
    I've currently got my room ambient at around 75ish Fahrenheit and I just acquired a desert hairy yesterday and I see conflicting information do they need to be heated to do better/well and If so what is the best method. Also as from image posted the faunarium isnt a permanent enclosure

Attached Files:

2. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnoknight Active Member

UK
    When I kept H.arizonesis in the past they were kept at 85 F + on a sand clay mix 70% sand 30% clay and were heated by overhead ceramic heat lamps, I don't think heat mats on the rear provide enough heat for the UK climate.
    Get rid of that water dish and obtain one that is shallow but rough textured not smooth and only offer water every 2 weeks for 48 hours then remove the dish.This species is very prone to Mycosis in med. to high humidity.

3. Stevek18

Stevek18 Arachnopeon

Uk
    I have the mix as you said and the water dish is currently empty and I was aware of mycosis but the heat was my main concern

4. Dry Desert

UK
    Yes , I thought the substrate looked a clay mix, just change the water dish for one of the reptile ones that they sell for lizards and the like.

5. darkness975

darkness975 the sun grows ever darker Arachnosupporter

Mine are kept in the mid to high 60s in winter. It's their diapause period so they dont cone out anyway.

They emerge in spring.

Keeping yours at 75F is fine.

6. Dry Desert

UK
    As the summer temperature needs to be 85-90 F I think 75 F is as low as you should go winter time when they are dormant, that's still a 10/15 degree drop. I think any lower than that will cause problems long term.