Hadrurus arizonensis vs. Smeringurus mesaensis

VictorHernandez

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That should work, as it seems to be used quite frequently and is effective. You would let it just sit and dry, so you will have to wait a week probably. Heating it in the microwave won't help, because the water molecules will just be "scrambled".
Should I leave it sitting with the heat lamp?

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It would certainly make it dry faster.

Excavation clay seems to work best for burrowing. A mix of about 30% clay 70% sand works well. I gave a description of how to make your own earlier in the thread.

VictorHernandez

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been using the filtered refrigeration water for my arachnids, am I wrong in doing this?

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, nothing wrong with that, although demineralized water (distilled) is preferable because, obviously, the drops of water won't mineralize on the sides of the container and allow the scorpion to climb. Otherwise, tap water is best between any other kinds of water.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use all my lights/heat emitters when drying sand. Just try not to burn the house down. If there is 0% clay in the sand it will stay loose and never harden. Packing down your sand/clay mix will make it harder. some people dry the mix in 2in layers because 6in takes forever (unless you live in AZ, then a few hours in the sun works). Heat pad on the bottom will help it evaporate faster also.

VictorHernandez

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It would certainly make it dry faster.

Excavation clay seems to work best for burrowing. A mix of about 30% clay 70% sand works well. I gave a description of how to make your own earlier in the thread.
How would I measure the percentage? Do I just guess?

---------- Post added 09-14-2012 at 05:17 PM ----------

Mix the sand with Zoo Med's Excavator Clay, using a ratio of about 30 to 40% clay and let it dry.

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=188&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1
How would I measure the percentage? Do I just guess?

---------- Post added 09-14-2012 at 05:20 PM ----------

If you think a G Rosea is a boring pet rock, then you are going to like having an Emperor Scorpion even less. At least a Rose Hair will usually sit out visible while doing nothing. An Emperor will remain hidden, doing nothing. Most often, they'll sit in their hide or burrow, and come out briefly in the middle of the night every few days while you're sleeping.:laugh:

Hadrurus Arizonensis: if you set them up properly with a burrowing medium as substrate, you will often have what is basically a box of clay/sand with a hole in it. They will come out some, certainly more often than most emps, but they'll also spend plenty of time "down the hole". You can catch them digging in the middle of the night though, or you may wake up to find the hole in a new spot or a few hills of substrate moved about. If you're lucky, they may burrow next to the glass too.

Of course, different individuals behave a little differently than others, but those are average behaviors for those species.
I made a starter burrow against the glass, now he hides there during the day and will come out at around 8 pm. He might dig a burrow later, but right now he is happy in his man-made burrow.
310.jpg 311.jpg 312.jpg

Last edited:

herpist

Arachnosquire
I am moving to southern Texas next year, so I want to wait until next year to buy a desert scorpion, but I don't know what kind. What would you recommend? Hadrurus arizonensis, or Smeringurus mesaensis? I want a larger kind,
Hi Victor, H. Arizonensis is the largest desert species to my knowledge (I'm only thinking that as it's common name is giant desert hairy, lol) and mine seem to be quite active late evening/night. I've had a pair of S. vachoni for a couple of weeks now and they seem quite active but don't grow as big.

VictorHernandez

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Victor, H. Arizonensis is the largest desert species to my knowledge (I'm only thinking that as it's common name is giant desert hairy, lol) and mine seem to be quite active late evening/night. I've had a pair of S. vachoni for a couple of weeks now and they seem quite active but don't grow as big.
I have heard of misting their burrow entrance once a week very lightly, and once a day during pre-molt. And also wetting down the substrate and letting it dry once in a while. Do you recommend doing this? (For Hadrurus)
And my P. imperator hasn't really been active lately, he just has been hungry lately, always at the entrance of his burrow waiting for crickets. Not sure if I should be feeding Him all he wants, or keep doing a scheduled feeding?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
And my P. imperator hasn't really been active lately, he just has been hungry lately, always at the entrance of his burrow waiting for crickets. Not sure if I should be feeding Him all he wants, or keep doing a scheduled feeding?
That's typical P. Imperator behavior. Mine does the same thing. Unless I move the hide for cleaning or something all I really see of the scorpion are the chelae sticking out from the entrance. I would keep a regular feeding schedule as overfeeding would cause problems.

mholmgree

Arachnopeon
My hairy is boring. Looks gravid or ready to molt, for the last couple months. It has only eaten 2 crickets in the 6 months I've had it. Hardly ever comes out, stays in its maze of burrows in 6in of substrate.
My dune is awesome. Eats a lot. Out every night at dusk, runs around the tank. Interesting to watch, at least I know he's alive and well, unlike the hairy who could die and I wouldn't even know till it started stinking...
My dune is also a bit bigger.
Going by my 2, I'd definitely go with a dune over a hairy. Obviously not all scorpions are the same, so your experiences might differ. Just my .02

VictorHernandez

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My hairy is boring. Looks gravid or ready to molt, for the last couple months. It has only eaten 2 crickets in the 6 months I've had it. Hardly ever comes out, stays in its maze of burrows in 6in of substrate.
My dune is awesome. Eats a lot. Out every night at dusk, runs around the tank. Interesting to watch, at least I know he's alive and well, unlike the hairy who could die and I wouldn't even know till it started stinking...
Going by my 2, I'd definitely go with a dune over a hairy. Obviously not all scorpions are the same, so your experiences might differ. Just my .02
Haha well I guess I could buy a Dune scorpion first. Later a hairy. Do you know how well dunes molt in captivity?

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like you have a juvenile Desert Hairy. They are not known to molt in captivity. It is probably overfed and unable to molt, which is probably why it is so dormant. If you keep it at 90f or so it may be able to digest what it has in its gut. Most "blown up" Desert Hairys that I've had were just overfeeding to prepare for overwintering, not gravid. I've only had one give birth out of maybe 100 that looked gravid. If you want I can trade you for an adult that will probably be much more active for you.

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
big and active scorpion i prefer the h.longimanus or p.transvaalicus
but with h.arizonensis or s.mesaensis...
arizonensis is bit bigger is size but less active than mesaensis. My previous mesaensis were striking in color and really active, if they are hungry they will really chase whatever i put :)

mholmgree

Arachnopeon
Sounds like you have a juvenile Desert Hairy. They are not known to molt in captivity. It is probably overfed and unable to molt, which is probably why it is so dormant. If you keep it at 90f or so it may be able to digest what it has in its gut. Most "blown up" Desert Hairys that I've had were just overfeeding to prepare for overwintering, not gravid. I've only had one give birth out of maybe 100 that looked gravid. If you want I can trade you for an adult that will probably be much more active for you.
It was skinny when I got it. As I stated its eaten 2 crickets in the 6 months I've had it, pretty sure it's not over fed. When I bought it it was supposedly an adult, it's adult sized. My opinion is it's gravid. And from what I've read it will most likely not give me any babies in captivity. I haven't bothered to count so I'm not even sure if it's a female or not. It's kept at 90+ during the day with cooler nights. 6in of substrate that it burrowed into all over, its like a maze in there. The room is set up with all desert species. It is what it is, and it will do what it will do...