Had no idea my p. irminia was so defensive!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Just rehoused my p. irminia. I dug them out from their burrow and they were in a threat posture immediately. Bit my paint brush and then the catch cup. They stayed in a threat pose for about twenty minutes lmao finally calmed down now and is out for a bit looking pretty.

It’s my first rehouse for this spider. I’m thinking they were so easy to deal with when I first housed them because they were in heavy premolt. Spood molted the night I got it.

Attachments

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Of all the more common ts in the hobby...the two most defensive IME are P. cancerides...and P. irminia. Both throw threat postures regularly and hold them for extended periods of time.....I've had each hold threats for 30-45 min on several occasions.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Does seeing them posture for so long make you anxious as tarantula owners or is it just sort of silly?

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Of all the more common ts in the hobby...the two most defensive IME are P. cancerides...and P. irminia. Both throw threat postures regularly and hold them for extended periods of time.....I've had each hold threats for 30-45 min on several occasions.
I guess it’s good practice for when I get into OW’s. I’ve heard psalmopoeus are a good stepping stone to pokies.

I have a phormictopus as well. P. auratus. Trying to get comfortable with these more advanced NW’s before I jump in.

Does seeing them posture for so long make you anxious as tarantula owners or is it just sort of silly?
I think it looks pretty silly tbh

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Well as a 6ft adult with a fully functioning brain (I think), its more amusing than anything....really, if a t is posturing, to get bit one would need to actively get in their strike zone to get tagged... so I usually just keep my fleshy parts away from the animal and go grab the camera for a quick pic.

I guess it’s good practice for when I get into OW’s. I’ve heard psalmopoeus are a good stepping stone to poki
They are some of the best, but I always try to point people to cams is they tend to act a little more old world, whereas the irminia tends to be more defensive than most OW arboreals by a bunch....if you can handle irminia, you can probably handle most any OW.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Well as a 6ft adult with a fully functioning brain (I think), its more amusing than anything....really, if a t is posturing, to get bit one would need to actively get in their strike zone to get tagged... so I usually just keep my fleshy parts away from the animal and go grab the camera for a quick pic.

They are some of the best, but I always try to point people to cams is they tend to act a little more old world, whereas the irminia tends to be more defensive than most OW arboreals by a bunch....if you can handle irminia, you can probably handle most any OW.
Good to know!!

13487B1E-D3C6-4AD5-A6D8-DC5378ABBDBA.jpeg I’m not getting my catch cup back today lmao

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
psalmopoeus are a good stepping stone to pokies
The Psalmopoeus species I own are way more defensive than my pokies, or any of my other OW's for that matter. So yeah, a good stepping stone, though my personal experience was different, OW's were a good stepping stone to Psalmopoeus :D

Danezoo41

Arachnopeon
My irminia has only given me a threat posed once when I tried to feed it while it was in premolt. I rehoused her Sunday and it went so swimmingly! She is only 3" currently.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
the two most defensive IME are P. cancerides...and P. irminia. Both throw threat postures regularly and hold them for extended periods of time.....I've had each hold threats for 30-45 min on several occasions.
It's so weird...that describes my both of my P. sazimai. Hyper defensive. None of my Phormics (cancerides, atrichomatus, auratus, sp purple, sp South Hispaniola) have given me threat poses.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
that describes my both of my P. sazimai
LOL - my girl is like a Grammostola pulchra - always out and gentle as a lamb. I just rehoused her and she barely reacted to being cupped. But's it's that way with every species - you're going to have a variety of temperaments.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
IME the Psalmopoeus genus as a whole is pretty readily defensive, and even then mine act like dolls compared to the behavior I've witnessed from other people's Psalmos. Awesome genus and is always one of my go-to recommendations for anyone who wants to know what'd make for good prep to jumping in to old worlds. OW Ts in a NW package. :D

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
It's so weird...that describes my both of my P. sazimai. Hyper defensive. None of my Phormics (cancerides, atrichomatus, auratus, sp purple, sp South Hispaniola) have given me threat poses.
Same. Absolutely no attitude from my auratus at all.

IME the Psalmopoeus genus as a whole is pretty readily defensive, and even then mine act like dolls compared to the behavior I've witnessed from other people's Psalmos. Awesome genus and is always one of my go-to recommendations for anyone who wants to know what'd make for good prep to jumping in to old worlds. OW Ts in a NW package. :D
And absolutely gorgeous !

It’s funny...my bf was watching the process and said it looked like the spider “emerged with victory” because of the way they were standing straight up when I got them out of the burrow.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Same here. I have never gotten a threat pose from one of my Phormictopus (2 cancerides, and an auratus). But my little B. hamorii is a threat posing fool and I can't even open my 5" L. klugi enclosure with out her immediately going into threat posture and proceeding to slap and strike everything in sight. She doesn't kick hairs though, I guess I should be grateful for that,lol.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Same here. I have never gotten a threat pose from one of my Phormictopus (2 cancerides, and an auratus). But my little B. hamorii is a threat posing fool and I can't even open my 5" L. klugi enclosure with out her immediately going into threat posture and proceeding to slap and strike everything in sight. She doesn't kick hairs though, I guess I should be grateful for that,lol.
You should pair your B.hamorii to the one @The Grym Reaper has and create a kibe of B.hamorii from hell :p

@Asgiliath
I'd wet the substrate a little more, it looks very dry?
I had two P.irminia sling that went full on ballistic if I so much as breathed wrong. Actively searching the straw/tweezer/brush out for an attack. Crazy species :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
As a 6'2" 280lb mentally disturbed fella, it's effing hilarious.

and even then mine act like dolls compared to the behavior I've witnessed from other people's Psalmos
I often wonder what people are doing to end up with such cranky Psalmos, all of mine would rather run and hide, the most defensive was my victori male and he wouldn't start threat posturing/slapping unless you actually started poking around in his immediate vicinity or touched him with something.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
and they were in a threat posture immediately
Fascinating, it may be a new discovery, OR perhaps something that could have been learned with some research before purchasing....:rolleyes::cool::smug:

I’ve heard psalmopoeus are a good stepping stone to pokies.
True. I do think owning a terrestrial OW first is helpful, like a Ceratgyrus, but NOT I. mira.

All my Ceratogyrus are faster than irminia.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I often wonder what people are doing to end up with such cranky Psalmos
I'm wondering the same thing. My P. irminia must so be different than others. I think I've had 3 threat poses from her ever since getting her. Last one was few days ago when I poked cork bark a little while she was out. She gave me a literally two second long threat pose and calmly went back to her hide.
She might be the most cooperative tarantula in my collection. Even my A. geniculata is more prone to threat poses rathen than her.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
If we’re getting into height weight and mental health, I’m a 5’5” 130 with mental illness lmao

BUT I still dwarf my biggest angriest spiders and hope I’ve got a better head on my shoulders than they do (which is hopefully the case because I ACTUALLY HAVE a head and shoulders.) :D
I'm wondering the same thing. My P. irminia must so be different than others. I think I've had 3 threat poses from her ever since getting her. Last one was few days ago when I poked cork bark a little while she was out. She gave me a literally two second long threat pose and calmly went back to her hide.
She might be the most cooperative tarantula in my collection. Even my A. geniculata is more prone to threat poses rathen than her.
I don’t think it’s anything I could have done. I’ve barely seen it since I got it six months ago. Spider has been thriving. Just hanging out in the dirt curtains and little burrow. No stress.