H. Swammerdami eating her babies

MartinMx

Arachnopeon
please advice.

it's my second female that had eaten her own babies till reduce the litter to 50 or 30 percent.i have tried to feed her with crickets but nothing. she doesn't take them. i have been trying to find info. but nothing. i think they had appropiate conditions but. nope. is the second and i think one more is coming to have babies soon.

anybody??

thanks and regards from Mexico.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd guess it's stress related or something about the offspring wasn't quite right. Were these wild caught scorps that came to you already gravid? And is she eating them off of her back, or have they already molted and are running around her enclosure?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The only time I've seen that happen is when there are too many grain mites on the mother, they look like tiny limpets in a stage called the hypopus stage. When the babies are born they crawl on the mother's back and that disturbs the mites. The mites start walking around and obviously irritate the mother, I imagine something like an itchy feeling. The mother whacks at whatever it is irritating her back and the babies get knocked of, she eats them.