H. spinifers not as active..help pls.

albert

Arachnopeon
I have a pair of spinifers in a 20 gallon tank. I used 3 inches of fine sand with a mixture rice hash and soil (commonly used as plant moisteurizer) for substrate. I also placed flat rocks for them to burrow into.

Every other day i feed them crickets and spray water on the surface of the subtrate to keep the moisture up.

A week later I noticed a drastic change in activity. They have stayed in the burrow most of the time and they don't hunt for food as much.

I tried checking the temperature of the tank and its between 23-26.5 degrees celcius.

Do you think its the temperature or the setup or another cause?

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So whats the problem? They dont come out often?

They arnt eating probably because they have been fed so much.

albert

Arachnopeon
Woops! pardon me for the unclear message...they usually spend most of their time in the burrow and the female isn't eating for 3-4 days already...i'm not sure if it's because of the temperature that caused them to slow their metabolism or if their sick...

my room is air-conditioned by the way...i chose to put them there because it's far from being pested by mites and ants...i'm also wondering how i can heat the tank up enough for them to be comfortable with the environment...

thanks for reading the thread and helping a newbie out! :razz:

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its not uncommon for scorps to go days if not weeks without eating. They are probablu just full and not hungry.

By the way, welcome to the boards.

1/2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
prang11 said:
Its not uncommon for scorps to go days if not weeks without eating. They are probablu just full and not hungry.
This is very likely, and if this is the case, just keep food in the teraria so if they get hungry they wont eat each other.

Best of luck ;)

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and they are less active in lower temps too like you say 23-25? its slighlt or on the low side. i keep mine minimum 27 in the day, and 25 minum at night... mostly keep it ard 25-27 degrees celcius.