H. Spinifer Help

Anubis2012

Arachnopeon
To anybody who has this scorpion... I have had an H. Spinifer for about a month and a half. Recently, he has these period moments where he will be all twitchy and shoot his tail up randomly when he walks sometimes. Any idea of what this could mean? moulting? seizures? overweight? I will post pictures of him soon.. Any help would be great

oogie boogie

Arachnopeon
IME, it is pretty normal. it happens to my young spinifers after every meal. Seems like they are spazzing out.

oogie boogie

Arachnopeon
A couple of adults and several 3i's about 20+. It's fun to see them in a communal set up. :D

Anubis2012

Arachnopeon
3i

How do u know what instar the scorpion is? do u have to have him from birth or is there a way to tell? I got mine at a store so I have no idea how old he is. Do you live anywhere by Chicago because i am looking for a female H. Spinifer and I havent been able to find one...

oogie boogie

Arachnopeon
Its how many times it molted. I know cause I breed them myself. You can also distinguish the instar by size but not accurately.

My 3is is a little less then 2 inches. Although, you might want to make sure if it is really a h. spinifer. Post some pics so we could ID em properly. How big is your spinifer?

Btw, im from asia. I havent dealt with anybody internationally so i dont know if im the right person to ask. You should check out the BST section. I see a number of people selling em.

oogie boogie

Arachnopeon
Hmm that doesnt look like a H.spinifer at all. The chela is too big. Looks like an emp. Maybe you could snap a clearer closeup shot

Anubis2012

Arachnopeon
Its not an emp for sure. He's very aggresive. and very active. he hunts for his food. unlike the p. emperator. Il try another shot in a day or so.

Moose9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 6 little 2i & 3i babies which all live communally, usually under the same piece of bark. Fun to watch them chase there food. I feed them B. lateralis roaches. I can't say I've seen mine do what the OP said his do. Looking forward to when they grow HUGE.

Anubis2012

Arachnopeon
Hmm.. yea id does kinda look like it. I wish I could know for sure. Do any of you have a problem with your scorpions being kinda twitchy when they walk around and shoot their tail up randomly in the air?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its not an emp for sure. He's very aggresive. and very active. he hunts for his food. unlike the p. emperator. Il try another shot in a day or so.
Just because he is aggresive and very active does not rule out him being and empy.. My male emperor is very very aggresive and even more active!! I also have to agre it do look like and P. imperator

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It does kinda look more like H. petersii. Looks like the chela are smooth, unlike and emp. Can you get a better pic using a flash? ...really low on the light with those pics. They shake and vibrate sometimes, esp after they catch something to eat, wave their tail around to sometimes. I think it might be to tell others to "get away, this food is mine..." Also a mating behavior. But there is also what is thought to be a nerve disease, forget the name right now, a syndrome of some kind. But if it had that, it would really look like it is losing more and more control of it's body as the days go by, I bet it doesn't have that though.

Anubis2012

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Thank you, to everybody. Yea il try to get a better pic. Its Chelae have some hairs and some bumps, they arent very big, he also has a red stinger which could mean it is either longinamus or spinifer... so is what i have read.. However i doubt its a emp bc ive had him for two months and I dont know if an emp can survive in such a high humidity... Also, should I get him a female to mate, or how would I know when he is mature enough to mate?

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im not saying it's and emp, I doubt it is an emp by the smoothness of the claws, but emps do thrive at very high humidity.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am 100% sure it is not an emperor scorpion so you can stop worrying about that.