H. Pulchripes & D. Diamantinensis sling enclosures

docwade87

Arachnoknight
I have (1) H. Pulchripes sling and (1) D. Diamantinensis sling arriving next week from Jamie’s Ts. They are said to both be around 3/4”-1” if I’m not mistaken. Had set up these small enclosures for them. The wider one is a 16oz deli. The other cup is taller but slightly less ground space. Wondering if one or the other will be better for a particular sling or not? Or should I put both in 16oz deli cups? I’d have to get another deli cup that size or something similar (No big deal). I’ve heard to keep the H. Pulchripes dry even as slings. What about the D. Diamantinensis sling? Thanks in advance!
F50866A6-3B03-4BC9-8484-5925DF07C34D.jpeg
Taller one top view
212FAE13-A966-4AA4-A8D1-5FF3C7B0E5AF.jpeg
16oz deli cup top view
FA0F7D2A-510B-4D3E-A097-70055214048A.jpeg

aphono

Arachnobaron
Both species are heavy webbers. Personally I prefer giving these larger enclosures relative to size.

H. pulchripes is a rather fast growing species, I'd put it in something larger if possible for this reason plus the ability to give more substrate depth and height inside the container for their webbing. Anyways of those two containers, the wider container is a better fit for pulchripes as they burrow a lot, making a system of tunnels with several exits. I'd like more substrate(they like running below ground when spooked) but then that will result in heavier lid webbing. The deli cup like that is nice as you can deal with this by peeling back just part of the lid to toss in prey. Also they are very fast and can be defensive so the less rehousings the better imo. They do need it on the dry side- the substrate right now is too wet. Keep water dish full.

My experience with the other species is arboreal-ish. I put 1- 1/2ish in a 5x6 tall container and she absolutely filled it up with webbing within weeks. I'd recommend going larger also but if you want to use the taller container, take out most of the substrate as it's wasted on them. She seemed to prefer it slightly moist with the occasional extra moisture to the substrate.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Both species are heavy webbers. Personally I prefer giving these larger enclosures relative to size.

H. pulchripes is a rather fast growing species, I'd put it in something larger if possible for this reason plus the ability to give more substrate depth and height inside the container for their webbing. Anyways of those two containers, the wider container is a better fit for pulchripes as they burrow a lot, making a system of tunnels with several exits. I'd like more substrate(they like running below ground when spooked) but then that will result in heavier lid webbing. The deli cup like that is nice as you can deal with this by peeling back just part of the lid to toss in prey. Also they are very fast and can be defensive so the less rehousings the better imo. They do need it on the dry side- the substrate right now is too wet. Keep water dish full.

My experience with the other species is arboreal-ish. I put 1- 1/2ish in a 5x6 tall container and she absolutely filled it up with webbing within weeks. I'd recommend going larger also but if you want to use the taller container, take out most of the substrate as it's wasted on them. She seemed to prefer it slightly moist with the occasional extra moisture to the substrate.
I have two small kritter keepers I can use. Just thought that may be too big to start. However based off of what your saying it may be best? Only worry would be the vents in the top may be something they could squeeze out of? Although the vent holes in the cups are wider, so I guess I’d be good.

aphono

Arachnobaron
I have two small kritter keepers I can use. Just thought that may be too big to start. However based off of what your saying it may be best? Only worry would be the vents in the top may be something they could squeeze out of? Although the vent holes in the cups are wider, so I guess I’d be good.
Never had kritter keepers so couldn't say much about this. The lids do pose a risk for escapes if the slings happen to be smaller than expected.

It will be fine to start them in those cups and transfer after a molt or two. Just be aware they may fill up those deli cups with webbing which can make feeding/watering a little interesting & rehousing will become an issue before long for the pulchripes. :)

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Never had kritter keepers so couldn't say much about this. The lids do pose a risk for escapes if the slings happen to be smaller than expected.

It will be fine to start them in those cups and transfer after a molt or two. Just be aware they may fill up those deli cups with webbing which can make feeding/watering a little interesting & rehousing will become an issue before long for the pulchripes. :)

Ok. I’ll come up with something slightly bigger to have as option for both. That way if they are smaller then the original two will be ok. Otherwise if they are true to size as stated (3/4”-1”) then the larger will work better. Thank you!!

docwade87

Arachnoknight
@aphono Would a 32oz deli cup be better for either one? Was thinking probably better for the Diamantinensis if anything?

aphono

Arachnobaron
Yea best to be prepared for 'unexpected sizing differences'. Some extra containers on hand either without(so you can adjust accordingly after seeing the slings) or with smaller ventilation holes just in case. Sometimes slings arrive basically as expected but they can arrive much tinier or with body proportions you don't realize they come in. Good thing deli cups can be had for cheap or free if you ask from many places. I also like food storage containers- there are some that are almost glass clear yet also cheap, about 2-4 bucks. These would work great for the diam.

aphono

Arachnobaron
@aphono Would a 32oz deli cup be better for either one? Was thinking probably better for the Diamantinensis if anything?
That would be great for the diamantinensis. (edit to add- a tip- glue a water dish higher up for ease of access. I like to hot glue a dish to the side then sit another dish inside it for easy changing/cleaning) Pulchripes might like something with more floor room- a cube/rectangle than a tall narrow container better if just for making their network of tunnels and spreading out their web over the substrate and objects but it would do okay in 32 oz if you want. 16 oz would work fine for pulchripes until rehousing though.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Just put together one of the small kritter keepers for the H. Pulchripes depending on its size. Should I do anything else to this one? The cork bark is sunk down a bit in the soil.
5F41EF31-1AE4-4364-824D-08DC92CAD154.jpeg 3D6E0E64-2580-4BD7-BF72-026D3AD21A70.jpeg

aphono

Arachnobaron
That would be fine as is. Your new pet will do a lot of rearranging and laying down webbing however it likes. For a while it probably will look 'messy'. Eventually it should morph into a nice pristine thick white sheet all over. I love the way this species webs. :)

docwade87

Arachnoknight
I’m thinking/hoping I will be able to use this from the start. I cannot wait to get my two new species!!! The anticipation is killing me and I still have a week. Now to figure out something for the D. Diamantinensis should the initial cup be too small. (I removed dirt and it opened up quite a bit of space.) Will probably end up doing a food storage cup around 32oz or so and then move it into something nice (showcase enclosure) once it’s matured. Will do same with H. Pulchripes. Hoping less rehousings as possible!! Thanks for all your help. Will continue to use this thread as things progress.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just put together one of the small kritter keepers for the H. Pulchripes depending on its size. Should I do anything else to this one? The cork bark is sunk down a bit in the soil.
View attachment 303306 View attachment 303308
Your T will escape through the holes, good luck.

For your D.d., I would give them a cork slab on its side along length of the container. They will definitely use that as their home to start with, and will mod it later. They are a pretty species, out sometimes, but spook easily IME. Give them more height than you would a normal terrestrial if their speed is a concern.

Last edited:

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Your T will escape through the holes, good luck.

For your D.d., I would give them a cork slab on its side along length of the container. They will definitely use that as their home to start with, and will mod it later. They are a pretty species, out sometimes, but spook easily IME. Give them more height than you would a normal terrestrial if their speed is a concern.

A 3/4”-1” sling escaping through a hole the size just larger than a pinhole? I don’t know if your seeing appropriate size through pics. They aren’t big at all. What do you recommend to get smaller holes with adequate ventilation?

I’ve got several options on hand depending on their actual size. Because of where I’m getting them from I’m fairly certain their size descriptions will be accurate. If so I’ll be fine with size of ventilation holes. Am currently putting together something better for the Diamantinensis. Thanks for the help!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A 3/4”-1” sling escaping through a hole the size just larger than a pinhole? I don’t know if your seeing appropriate size through pics. They aren’t big at all. What do you recommend to get smaller holes with adequate ventilation?

I’ve got several options on hand depending on their actual size. Because of where I’m getting them from I’m fairly certain their size descriptions will be accurate. If so I’ll be fine with size of ventilation holes. Am currently putting together something better for the Diamantinensis. Thanks for the help!!
The cups and the holes in the orange KK lid all look larger than a pin hole to me.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
The cups and the holes in the orange KK lid all look larger than a pin hole to me.
The length of the KK surely is, but width is definitely not, an ink pin tip won’t fit. The holes in cups will fit a ink pin tip but nothing more.

Put together this as an option too for the pulchripes. This is about as small as I can get unless I try and poke holes with a thumbtack.

I will know Thursday as to what their true size is and decide then. Glad I have a few options. If these don’t work, I have a few other tubs/cups I can put together with thumbtacks.