H. Maculata Sling???

zm378205

Arachnopeon
HI All,
I am receiving a H. Mac sling in the near future and everything I have read kinda has me a little freaked out hahah but my question is if it is a 1/2" sling what size holes should I put in the enclosure (kind from Michaels) to keep it in. I have a 1/8" drill bit that I am going to use for the 1" A. Avic and P. Irminia arriving with it as well.

So is 1/8" too big for a 1/2" sling or will I be ok????

Also have a 1/32 drill bit

Let me know your thoughts Thanks,

Zach

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like 1/16" or so for small slings. In my opinion 1/8" is definitely too big, and I'm not even sure that 1/32" counts as a hole :D

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Smaller, the better with vent holes. H. macs are quick and can readily escape, given the opportunity.

Don't get too freaked out about what you've read about them. They really are not the monsters they are made out to be. Respect their speed, and respect the bite. Otherwise, they are skittish and reclusive creatures that would rather run than fight. They will defend themselves, but you'd have to provoke it first. From what I understand, the H. mac is one of the calmer Baboons. Although, next to an S. calceatum, anything looks comparatively calm. {D

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have 1/16" holes in my H. mac sling's container, and a cork in the lid so I don't have to remove the hole lid to feed or water him - because he's QUICK! haha. I wouldn't go any bigger with the holes, though.

zm378205

Arachnopeon
I am also getting 1" A. Avic and P. Irminia do you think that the 1/8" holes will be too big for them as well or do you think they will be fine with these holes???

Thanks

s__i__v

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
we have a h. mac and wow is it a pansy...

i still wouldnt mess with it but it's first defense is the "Get me the F outa here!" tactic

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am also getting 1" A. Avic and P. Irminia do you think that the 1/8" holes will be too big for them as well or do you think they will be fine with these holes???

Thanks
stick with the 1/16 for everything, smaller bits also tend not to crack the container as often.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
stick with the 1/16 for everything, smaller bits also tend not to crack the container as often.
+1

Stick with 1/16". I also try to avoid gluing too much crap into sling cubes.

Remember that you will use these cubes over and over for different species. Use this size hole and you will be able to contain the smallest sling of any species in the future.

If what I heard about Micheals discontinuing cube sales is true, getting these is about to become more expensive and annoying for a lot of people.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so long as the ventilation holes are smaller than the carapace they can't get out, that's generally the rule I go by.

As for it being an H mac, as mentioned above, they're not scary as slings, but wow they can be fast. So just be aware of keeping eyes on all the time when the enclosure is open :) They're heavy webbers so sometimes that can be hard lol

I love my little 1.5 incher now, had her since she was just a first instar a few months ago...:rolleyes:

Have fun with the new one!

Bryn

zm378205

Arachnopeon
Alright thanks to all that has responded!!! I have already put 1/8th inch holes in the two 1" P. Irminia and A. Avic and they dont seem "that" much bigger than the 1/16" so I think I am going to keep them since I dont wanna go out and get new containers. If anyone thinks that that is absolutely stupid of me let me know!!

Thanks

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Alright thanks to all that has responded!!! I have already put 1/8th inch holes in the two 1" P. Irminia and A. Avic and they dont seem "that" much bigger than the 1/16" so I think I am going to keep them since I dont wanna go out and get new containers. If anyone thinks that that is absolutely stupid of me let me know!!

Thanks

1/8 is fine, don't worry about it. The point was simply that with 1/16 you can put anything you want in there in the future, but no biggie.

I've drilled 1/4 holes to ventilate larger enclosures.

zm378205

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I guess I just was just stressing out about nothing then. Also, can anyone confirm or deny that the cubes from micheals are being discontiuned. If so I get mine from hobby lobby and was wondering if they would be discountining them as well??? And if not than people can go there and get the cubes. I know they have them around me.