H.Maculata sling care

Longislandboi85

Arachnopeon
So i won 6 H maculata slings. Ive had them for about 2 weeks now. Everything is going along great. I love my jars of dirt :astonished:

I've misted the enclosures twice (eco earth dries in a few hours). First feeding I gave each sling 1/2 a large cricket. One didn't eat, everyone else did. Second feeding which was 2 days ago, everyone got a small cricket with the head smushed. Everybody ate.

There is significant webbing in all enclosures. Some of them are already aboreal, other burrowers. Just want to make sure my jars of dirt are happy

Is feeding 1/2-3/4" slings 1 small cricket weekly enough? Crickets are approximately the size of the sling including leg span

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Post pictures of the enclosures, please :) They burrow as slings, but they do still go vertical quite a bit. They just love dirt curtains.

Just feed them until they don't eat. You can't overfeed a sling, especially a fast growing one like this.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Misting is pointless and it is why the enclosures dry out so quickly. Overfill the water dish or add sphagnum moss and wet it down every few days. It keeps moisture really well.

Longislandboi85

Arachnopeon
Misting is pointless and it is why the enclosures dry out so quickly. Overfill the water dish or add sphagnum moss and wet it down every few days. It keeps moisture really well.
water dish? LOL they are 1/2-3/4" slings. No water dish till they are in a larger enclosure

Post pictures of the enclosures, please :) They burrow as slings, but they do still go vertical quite a bit. They just love dirt curtains.

Just feed them until they don't eat. You can't overfeed a sling, especially a fast growing one like this.
They are in mason jars with plastic lids. Nothing special. Im not worried about over feeding, more like am i under feeding

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
water dish? LOL they are 1/2-3/4" slings. No water dish till they are in a larger enclosure

They are in mason jars with plastic lids. Nothing special. Im not worried about over feeding, more like am i under feeding
You don't understand. Slings can't drown. It's a fool proof way to add a drinking source while increasing hunidity.

These slings are very fragile. They can't take very high or very low humidity. Even very experienced keepers sometimes have losses.

Longislandboi85

Arachnopeon
You don't understand. Slings can't drown. It's a fool proof way to add a drinking source while increasing hunidity.

These slings are very fragile. They can't take very high or very low humidity. Even very experienced keepers sometimes have losses.
What would you suggest as a water dish, when the enclosure is 2" wide? Poland spring bottle cap? Thimble? Bic pen cap?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
excellent suggestion. Thanks
Juuust messing with you. Should have used some emojis.. :)
I actually wouldn't use a dish then. Just mist every week lightly. And keep the sub moist. They should get all the water they really need from their prey and the world around them.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Depend on how big the cricket is. They won't die on one cricket a week if that's what you're worried about. But I'd do 2 crickets a week for them. You want them fat, but nothing ridiculous.

Longislandboi85

Arachnopeon
Depend on how big the cricket is. They won't die on one cricket a week if that's what you're worried about. But I'd do 2 crickets a week for them. You want them fat, but nothing ridiculous.

Thats what i wanted to hear. Thank you. I just dont want to be under feeding

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
LOL? Here is the water dish I keep in my 2.1" by 2.1" spiderling enclosure. ;)

It is from a silicone ice cube tray. 110 water dishes for $7.99.

cold blood

Staff member

I wouldn't mist, they fare much better when things are drier...they are indeed fragile as slings as mentioned...good ventilation, a water dish, cover and space are all positives. I'd start out 2i in 16oz deli cups and by an inch or so move them to 32oz deli cups....room and space for everything you need.

This still does not address my original question. Is one cricket a week enough
Yes, small slings fill up faster as every meal we offer tends to be a large one....they aren't the fastest growers, although certainly not painfully slow, but it will take time between molts, so there is really no rush to fatten them.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Tell me about it, I got two and one died within 2 days, the other one is good and has since moulted.

What would you suggest as a water dish, when the enclosure is 2" wide? Poland spring bottle cap? Thimble? Bic pen cap?
Monopoly houses, I ish you not, they're great for small slings... Or just use slightly larger enclosures.

I wouldn't mist, they fare much better when things are drier.
Odd, the one of mine that died was the one I kept slightly drier out of the two, my surviving one seems to be doing well on slightly moist sub with a water dish, I pipette water into the sub though (sod misting any T let alone a H. mac).

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd go with cold bloods advice on this. I've only raised one sling. And never in a vial. Those things are a pain in the ass for arboreals.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So i won 6 H maculata slings. Ive had them for about 2 weeks now. Everything is going along great. I love my jars of dirt :astonished:

I've misted the enclosures twice (eco earth dries in a few hours). First feeding I gave each sling 1/2 a large cricket. One didn't eat, everyone else did. Second feeding which was 2 days ago, everyone got a small cricket with the head smushed. Everybody ate.

There is significant webbing in all enclosures. Some of them are already aboreal, other burrowers. Just want to make sure my jars of dirt are happy

Is feeding 1/2-3/4" slings 1 small cricket weekly enough? Crickets are approximately the size of the sling including leg span
I received mine as 1/2 slings and they have had two molts thus far. I keep most of the sub dry and slightly moisten down one section of the enclosure.

They have been great eaters and will go into pre molt quickly when small, you cannot over-feed them at that size. If you offer a large prey item they will not need to eat as often, and vice-versa.