H. maculata has trouble climbing smooth surface?!

Plissken

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, today I received a 2.5" juvenile H. Maculata and when I got her (?) I noticed her abdomen looked a little sunken in the middle on her back, not shrunken, Sunken. I quickly coaxed her near some water but she refused.

3pm-I started to rehouse her and I noticed she seemed to be very calm and stubborn (I was coaxing her with tongs and she didn't even budge), NOT typical for this type of T. She didn't move like lightning, rather like molasses, similar to a G. rosea.

4pm- She is now in a typical acrylic container and I saw her just fall off the side. I wasn't even near her, she just fell. I fed her a superworm and she took a while to attack it, and once she got it, she fell off the side again:cry:! While eating the superworm her fangs were sliding off of the worms exoskeleton as if she didn't have the strength to break through. She eventually ate most of it.

11pm- Suddenly I hear one of my T's going crazy, it's the Togo, she is on the substrate trying to climb up the acrylic and can't seem to get a grip. She was just up there a few hours ago, but now she can't even get a grip on the acrylic.

I now rehoused her to a shallow container so she doesn't die from falling.

Has anybody experienced this before? I've only witnessed some true spiders not being able to climb smooth surfaces, not T's Maybe she is stressed, dehydrated (she just ate), DKS? Could somebody please offer some advice? I've never had a problem with any of my T's until now!

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She's likely about to molt. Unless her movement is really erratic, there's likely nothing to worry about. Have fun with your little african demon spider :D

Plissken

Arachnopeon
She's likely about to molt. Unless her movement is really erratic, there's likely nothing to worry about. Have fun with your little african demon spider :D
I will keep an eye on her. Ive only experienced molting when my T's already had a web setup so maybe that's why Im worried. I just hope she acts more like the little devil she's supposed to be.

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
2nd the premoult theory, my Avic versi has terrible trouble gripping things wen she is ready to shed

Earth Eater

Arachnopeon
As the new exoskeleton separates from the old they seem to lose their ability to climb or grip smooth surfaces well.

Best regards,

Bodhin

lancej

Arachnolord
If I were you, I would put it in an ICU. It could still be dehydrated, and it could be in premolt. Also, keep it in a quiet, dark area for a few days, as I am sure it is stressed right now. Good luck and keep us posted.

Plissken

Arachnopeon
Update: she is now in a shallow container to prevent injury from fall. She set up a very tangled looking web and is still very sluggish. She's eaten a superworm and a crick since she's been here so I know she's not dehydrated. I'm not sure if this is typical, but her behavior seems more like a docile T.

Should I put her back to the arboreal setup or should I just leave her in this shallow container until she molts?

Last edited:

Brizzl

Arachnosquire
It sounds like she's really close to molting. I wouldn't stress her anymore and just keep her in that container. I'm pretty sure she won't be docile as you've said after she molts.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It sounds like she's really close to molting. I wouldn't stress her anymore and just keep her in that container. I'm pretty sure she won't be docile as you've said after she molts.
Yes, keep it in the container until after it sheds, and once it recooperates from that, expect a high-speed spider.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I were you, I would put it in an ICU. It could still be dehydrated, and it could be in premolt. Also, keep it in a quiet, dark area for a few days, as I am sure it is stressed right now. Good luck and keep us posted.
No need to create a panic. It just sounds like premolt to me.

Plissken

Arachnopeon
Update: she is now refusing food and is acting more defensive...definitely premolt!

I think she was dehydrated at first because of the sunken abdomen, it was pretty hot when she was shipped. But she is now as fast as my P. murinus! Yay!

Thanks everyone for reassuring me on everything!