H. mac

Hayden

Arachnosquire
Well, I guess the only thing I can say is I'm not the other person.

I'm here, asking questions, learning what I can, trying to decide if the T I have my eye on is appropriate for me and arming myself with the knowledge of people with far more experience than I.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not that I want to "jump into OW tarantulas." It's that I have found a T that I would really like to own. Period. I don't want it because it is an OW T, I want one and it happens to be an OW T. I'm not looking for the image or street cred or whatever that comes with OWs, I'm just fascinated by this particular species and wanted insight as to how people with years of experience manage theirs.
I think you missed my point here, and I didn't think or say that you were looking to purchase an OW just to say you have an OW (although price did seem to factor quite heavily).

I got into the hobby because I fell in love with pokies. So I bought some Psalmopoeus juvies instead. A couple months later, I had my first pokie slings. I personally think that's the best way to go. Not the only way, but certainly what I would recommend to any newbie that just has to own an OW arboreal. A few years ago, that was me. I know how difficult it is to stare enviously at others people's collections on the internet, but I'm glad I chose that direction and I think it's a responsible way of entering the hobby.

Hayden

Arachnosquire
I think you missed my point here, and I didn't think or say that you were looking to purchase an OW just to say you have an OW (although price did seem to factor quite heavily).

I got into the hobby because I fell in love with pokies. So I bought some Psalmopoeus juvies instead. A couple months later, I had my first pokie slings. I personally think that's the best way to go. Not the only way, but certainly what I would recommend to any newbie that just has to own an OW arboreal. A few years ago, that was me. I know how difficult it is to stare enviously at others people's collections on the internet, but I'm glad I chose that direction and I think it's a responsible way of entering the hobby.

I understand you weren't trying to question my motives, but I guess I'm a little confused. I already have tarantulas, I'm looking for another one to add to my collection. This one caught my eye because of its beauty, behavior and yes, its affordable price tag. I am new to OW, but not to tarantulas in general. And it's not as though I will go and buy this tomorrow. I personally feel like there is no other way to go about this.

sbullet

Arachnoknight
I'm kind of drunk right now so if this was already said, I apologize. But anywho, a couple of things you want to have on hand every time you do a cleaning or transfer: Container; I use a hillshire farms meat container, similar to Ziplock Tupperware. You need forceps-- 1' or longer. You will also need a paintbrush to coax the T to where you need it to go. I use a straw for this with the twisty end-- this makes it easier to reach into it's hide if it is in an awkward spot.

Last, you need patience, nerve, and an understanding of the OW T's body language. That stuff will come as you get to know him or her.

Get a Regalis, Striata, Pederseni, Miranda... basically, anything but a Rufilata or Ornata. If your nervous at all, I would suggest NOT to get a baboon, H. mac, etc., as they are definitely more aggressive than a poeci. Yea I said it a g g r e s s i v e. (lulz)

---------- Post added 04-19-2012 at 01:22 AM ----------

Btw pokies were my second T, and the first was a rosie that I got bored off after a couple months and gave to a friend. haha.

Last edited:

Hayden

Arachnosquire
That was super coherent and helpful for a drunken post on the internet.

So here's what I'm hearing:
Be confident.
Poecies are less aggressive than the H. mac
Start with the Poecie if I'm at all concerned about working with a defensive T.

This is all really helpful stuff. I'm not at all nervous around any of these guys, but I can see how maybe the poecie would maybe be a better introduction to more aggressive T's.

SentinelPokie

Arachnopeon
Hayden
That was super coherent and helpful for a drunken post on the internet.

So here's what I'm hearing:
Be confident.
Poecies are less aggressive than the H. mac
Start with the Poecie if I'm at all concerned about working with a defensive T.

This is all really helpful stuff. I'm not at all nervous around any of these guys, but I can see how maybe the poecie would maybe be a better introduction to more aggressive T's.
Just a suggestion/word of advice, you may think that you're not nervous around pokies, but trust me, you'll be nervous. Assuming that you have no experience with Pokies or OW's, there's a very little chance that you won't be nervous or at least surprised.

Hayden

Arachnosquire
Just a suggestion/word of advice, you may think that you're not nervous around pokies, but trust me, you'll be nervous. Assuming that you have no experience with Pokies or OW's, there's a very little chance that you won't be nervous or at least surprised.
I've never owned one, but I've fed and moved some.

Giygas

Arachnosquire
I dont see myself getting any OWs anytime soon. Even though im well aware of what they're capable of and that im not new to Ts in general, but I dont feel im ready for them just yet. The closest I am to an OW is my P.irminia, (yes I know its a NW ;)
and she isnt the sweetest apple from the tree but Im getting used to their behaviour (skittish and sometimes defensive) and Im getting the hang of it really. Ill always be nervous around the faster Ts...especially during a transfer of course.

One thing thats kept me alive is common sense and being prepared for the worst :D

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Last, you need patience, nerve, and an understanding of the OW T's body language. That stuff will come as you get to know him or her.

Get a Regalis, Striata, Pederseni, Miranda... basically, anything but a Rufilata or Ornata. If your nervous at all, I would suggest NOT to get a baboon, H. mac, etc., as they are definitely more aggressive than a poeci. Yea I said it a g g r e s s i v e. (lulz)

---------- Post added 04-19-2012 at 01:22 AM ----------

Btw pokies were my second T, and the first was a rosie that I got bored off after a couple months and gave to a friend. haha.
Sorry, I bit my tongue long enough. This quote is coming from some one who got his first Poecilotheria sling last week and made a thread about being nervous. Have you ever had a Heterscodra maculata? Please gain more experience before responding to these types of threads.

OP: All it really boils down to is never let the spider ever have an opportunity to bite. This goes for all spiders, even C. ritae. The H. maculata females I have are surprisingly calm and I've never seen any defensiveness out of them. Still I respect them and never give them the opportunity to get near my flesh. I would go with Jay's suggestion and start off with a Psalmopoeus. IME They are more defensive, so you learn to deal with it and if a mishap happens at least it won't be OW venom.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I really want a H. Mac, but unfortunately can't find one here. I have to keep looking i guess.
Jamie's Tarantulas is offering an H. mac special - $19 for a sling and an enclosure - $15 for shipping - $34 for a sling and an enclosure - not a bad deal.

I'm fairly new to the hobby, and also considering picking up an H. mac. I've owned a P. irminia for several months, and certainly respect its speed and (occasionally feisty) temperament. Though I would rather avoid being tagged by an OW of any species, my only real concern is for my five year old daughter. When I was twelve, a friend and I out were out exploring the woods behind his house when we stepped on/disturbed an underground wasp’s nest – we each received 50 plus stings (word of caution, once angered, wasps simply will not be denied – up to and including full submersion in an in-ground pool – you’ve been warned – oh, and OUCH!), so, though as noted, I’d rather avoid a bite at all costs, I’m not terribly concerned with regards to yours truly here – the safety and well being of my daughter, however, is front and center. Which is to say, I’m conflicted.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus are a good substitute choice before getting into Poecies else...

P. irminia
P. pulcher
P. cambridgei
P. reduncus
P. langenburcheri

all the above are available in the hobby. However, I think irminia, pulcher, cambridgei are more often sold than pulcher, reduncus and langenburcheri (correct me if I'm wrong, pls).

Serious speed, mixed with attitude, reclusiveness and (in regards to irminia) absolutely GORGEOUS colorations.

But again - get what you think what you're ready to deal with. In the end it's a decision you've to make for yourself and no one can take that from you. Look into advise given, then decide ;)

Hope to see pictures from whatever new T you'll get!

Best,
Jan

sbullet

Arachnoknight
Obviously the goal is to not be nervous around any T's. Will you be? Yes. My advice is still good hayden, my Striata is my first OW, but I did months of reading and research before I got her. #IKnowNothing