H. mac or Stromatopelma calceatum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve123

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
In general I notice running around in circles when the enclosures are new. In an established enclosure, whether H. mac or S. cal, the most I see is retreat upon opening the lids. My H. mac tend to web vertically, in corners, choosing the corner with bark tilted against it, but at least you can see them through the webbing. In the same situation, my S. cal will make their hides below the cork, tend to lay less webbing, and often I can't find them for several minutes when looking from the outside.

I do not look forward to rehousing, and my wife, who helps a lot, has been bitten once, by an AF H. mac that darted for freedom when being rehoused. I doubt she'd have been bitten if she hadn't tried to use a hand to divert, but so it went. The T earned the name Ms. Meanie, and we don't in general name Ts.

When rehousing juvenile NW Ts that run up my arm, I will cup them with the hand of the other arm. In general I won't do that with OW Ts, and probably never would with H. mac or S. cal, anticipating a bite when the fingers close around the panicked juvenile.

As far as which to choose, I'm for H. mac. The larger size and speckled beauty are hard to beat. It's sometimes easy for me to forget I own S. cal, not sure why.

Nice thread!

Last edited:

borotasinisa

Arachnopeon
Do you have a video of this? I'm a visual learner type of person and only parts of this make sense.

Or which video from viperkeeper demonstrates this procedure/setup? He has a ton of videos, none of which indicate this setup.
I don't have a video but I will make one in near future and post it in a new thread. Viperkeeper uses it in a different way with snakes, I just got the idea from him, it's nothing special but works with no holes. Here are the videos but he uses it with snakes in many other ones.

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
I enjoyed having my H. Mac. Sure she was flighty and hated light but when she did come out at night she was a fantastic spider to look at. Just like any spider though if you use patience and common sense dealing with them 9 times out of 10 you won't have a problem.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Just like any spider though if you use patience and common sense dealing with them 9 times out of 10 you won't have a problem.
Problem is that with spiders, many people fail to use 'common sense.' With the internet and YouTube, there's all kinds of showoffs and thrill seekers, on top of all the bad care advice.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
There's a "dimension" where common sense and caution alone (indeed, extremely importants and always, always use those, even when "working" with a chubby "Genic") doesn't help.

More than a decade ago, i helped a friend re-housing (cage upgrade) a juvenile 0.1 S.calceatum. Nothing bad happened, but i/we saw what they can do first hand. They can teleport, if they want. And with high strung "boost" unlike a P.cambridgei, for instance :)

I'm speechless when i see people handling S.calceatum. You can enter into a world of poop within a second.

" Why Baboon such a thing? " :p

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, i know. The sad part for me, is the fact that those folks are very skilled, Theraphosidae "Pro" people (South Africa) so not the first coolio of the internet with the wrong T's. Meaning, they should give the example, for me.
A "don't try this at home" disclaimer doesn't stop "copycat" :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't have a video but I will make one in near future and post it in a new thread. Viperkeeper uses it in a different way with snakes, I just got the idea from him, it's nothing special but works with no holes. Here are the videos but he uses it with snakes in many other ones.

Thanks for these. When you film yours, I will be VERY, VERY interested in viewing them. Much appreciated Boro.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
I have a few extra enclosures, and the ability to buy a new OW, and wondering which would be better for my experience? I have 3 Poecilotheria sp. slings and 3 3 1/2" juveniles. I understand H. mac will be a little white ghost, and Stromatopelma's venom is worse than a pokie, so trying to figure out which is best.
Hopefully you didn't get either, these are two of the most advanced species and you're jumping right in. You should use the ladder system to gain experience for tarantulas.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
And in regards to when I started, yes I did start only 4 - 6 months ago, but I had experience with rear fanged native venomous snakes, and the odd copperhead that came into my care, which is why I felt calm keeping pokies so soon, as aside from my little darter metallica and my overt- aggressive regalis, they just dive for the hide the moment I walk by.
Snakes do not prepare you for tarantulas. That's a false equivalency.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Hopefully you didn't get either, these are two of the most advanced species and you're jumping right in. You should use the ladder system to gain experience for tarantulas.
Go away, this is an old and dead thread. If you read, which obviously is a skill you lack you would've seen I realized these species were too advanced, and still are too advanced for me. Honestly sad you went to a thread that is SIX MONTHS OLD just to attack me. Kudos to you.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Go away, this is an old and dead thread. If you read, which obviously is a skill you lack you would've seen I realized these species were too advanced, and still are too advanced for me. Honestly sad you went to a thread that is SIX MONTHS OLD just to attack me. Kudos to you.
Stop playing the victim. The ladder system is what you should be using to gain experience.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
There are no such things as dead threads. There's always something to be learned, like how I learned that you advocate the ladder system but do not use it. ;)

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
There are no such things as dead threads. There's always something to be learned, like how I learned that you advocate the ladder system but do not use it. ;)
Leave this thread. Funny how you get mad over personal attacks when that's what you've been doing for the past couple days. What did you say? You hate hypocrites?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Snakes do not prepare you for tarantulas. That's a false equivalency.

Very true. I kept cobras for 9 years, and they act and move very differently than tarantulas; you have to work with each of them in different ways. There's a lot of other venomous animals that behave very different from these two (jellyfish, flying insects, amphibians, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.