H. lividum's midnight tap-tap-tapping

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why does she tap?

I have an adult female H. lividum that has blessed me with a nightly (musical)taps against the side of her enclosure. The first time I heard this, I was checking all my 8-legged little wonders before my bedtime and the noise was so loud it startled me! It was just like a baby rattle right next to my ear! I used my pen light to look around on the floor thinking maybe it was an escaped giant roach trying to flutter away. When I found it was my H. lividum making such a racket, I was completely amazed! 4 of her long legs sticking out of the artificial tunnel tapping so fast on the glass they were a blurr and she tapped at every 10 seconds exactly. I've had to close the door to my bedroom and turn the fan up since this has become a ritual. Anyone have any ideas why a female would be doing the tapping??? Anyone have an idea about how to lessen the volume? So far I've just wrapped the top of the tank with some strips of felt and that seems to absorb some of the noise. Is she just joining in on the holiday celebration? {D

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's not what she did to those crickets...,
Hhmmmm.... Sex...., Food...., :?

Ah~Ha! substitute FOOD for SEX! {D

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
She wants that male T to bend her over backwards ;) and tap it like shes never been tapped before, hehyuck hehyuck.

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes i agree.. she wants sex! you have any male around close to her?

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didn't know females tapped as well. I thought only males did that! Wow! You learn something new everyday....

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do have 2 males but they are of a different species. I tossed in a few crickets and that seems to have satisfied her for the time being.

Tapping for sex huh..., that's something I haven't tried yet. Poor girl, I know how she must feel. :rolleyes: Well, i'm gonna have another icecream cone and I'll toss her a juicey super worm~ we'll be lonely together!

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Diane S said:
I do have 2 males but they are of a different species. I tossed in a few crickets and that seems to have satisfied her for the time being.

Tapping for sex huh..., that's something I haven't tried yet. Poor girl, I know how she must feel. :rolleyes: Well, i'm gonna have another icecream cone and I'll toss her a juicey super worm~ we'll be lonely together!

hahahaha:drool: :}

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Diane S said:
Why does she tap?

I have an adult female H. lividum that has blessed me with a nightly (musical)taps against the side of her enclosure. The first time I heard this, I was checking all my 8-legged little wonders before my bedtime and the noise was so loud it startled me! It was just like a baby rattle right next to my ear! I used my pen light to look around on the floor thinking maybe it was an escaped giant roach trying to flutter away. When I found it was my H. lividum making such a racket, I was completely amazed! 4 of her long legs sticking out of the artificial tunnel tapping so fast on the glass they were a blurr and she tapped at every 10 seconds exactly. I've had to close the door to my bedroom and turn the fan up since this has become a ritual. Anyone have any ideas why a female would be doing the tapping??? Anyone have an idea about how to lessen the volume? So far I've just wrapped the top of the tank with some strips of felt and that seems to absorb some of the noise. Is she just joining in on the holiday celebration? {D
WOW, here's a name we haven't seen for awhile :eek: thought we lost you, you've been missed welcome back :D
I have been looking for a male lividum for my poor girl too so if I find one I will let you know... Greg

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you! I've missed the forum so much! I'm glad to be back with the most awesome group of hobbiest on the net IMO.:D I've got some new photos I'll be posting soon as I try to get back in the rhythm of T-living.