H.lividum question

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Hi there, my H.lividum hasnt burrowed yet. I understand this isnt anything to worry about but I was wondering if Im not helping the situation by keeping her cork bark in her tank.

She has lived under it since I got her. I have pre-made burrows for her and when she has occasionally came out she has sat inside them and then left..straight back under the cork bark. I haven't taken it out because I dont want to stress her out...but will it be kinder for her if I do take it out adn let her do her natural thing adn burrow?

She hasnt eaten since I got her either (Begning of January) but she looks fat enough so I am not worried.

She has about 10 inches of subsrate so plenty plenty to burrow. It's coco fibre and I spray it every few days.

Billeh

Arachnosquire
I could be wrong, but cocofiber isn't the best burrowing substrate. It's too loose isn't it? Try a mixture of cocofiber and peat moss or something lol. Let someone else say something, I still consider myself as a noob.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
I did contemplate changing her substrate, but then I've seen people say its amazing for burrowing.

:)

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
As long as its packed down tight, coir is fine for burrowing.
How deep are your starter burrows?
I find they take to them really well if they are as deep or deeper than their legspan. A simple shallow pit won't do if you want it to burrow right away. Since yours is fond of the cork, you could also consider making the burrow underneath it. In fact, I'm willing to bet that given time, it will eventually make its burrow on its own under the cork it's using.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Im making them pretty deep but thinking on it I think I might be doing it a bit too big..I'll give her a few weeks maybe and if she hasnt done anything I might consider making a burrow under her cork? Good idea actually...Thanks!

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
i was worried about mine not doing it,and she did after about 24 hours of being a zombie... but wow...if you all ready have a burrow made, then she should be trying it out. hmmmm...weird. i also have a cork bark in the tank but only as an obligatory decoration. lol. along with the ivy. i mixed my coco fiber with peat, but i understand that they will web the area that they are in kind of like a support so it wont cave in on them. mine has done that, so i dont worry. i would think that as long as you pack the coco fiber down but not so much as she cant dig, she should be ok with it. my girl is about 4.5 inches and the starter burrow i made was the circumference of a broom handle, so i dont think the size will matter. shes made it bigger as the days have gone on. maybe making a hole under her bark might be the way. i also have all sides of her tank covered in a blk poster board. i do this so i can peek in and see her during the night. and it keeps her from webbing up the "windows" that she creates. my tank is a "lund" type tank. there is a foam box under about 2 inches of sub where the water dish is. there is about 6-7 inches of free burrow area before that box starts. 2-3 inches on each side of it too. i have about 11 inches of sub in the tank.

its just really strange that yours has not taken to burrowing. id like to see what other ideas pop in on this thread. it seems that you have what you need for her. you got your starter holes-to-go...maybe try doing one under the cork. see what happens. take pics too so we can see what you got going on in your tank. thanks!

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1848.JPG

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Broom handle width is perfect, for adult size. In fact, just tight enough for it to squeeze through seems just right, as it seems to stimulate them to improve it to their liking.

I've found they (burrowers in general) seem to associate larger enclosed spaces like hides and larger diameter burrows as temporary hideouts rather than long term ones in need of a fix.

Good luck with your spider!

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
Broom handle width is perfect, for adult size. In fact, just tight enough for it to squeeze through seems just right, as it seems to stimulate them to improve it to their liking.

I've found they (burrowers in general) seem to associate larger enclosed spaces like hides and larger diameter burrows as temporary hideouts rather than long term ones in need of a fix.

Good luck with your spider!

ahhh...that does make sense though...wow...never though of it like that.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Nae luck. I made a burrow under her cork bark but shes still sat on top of it. Im wondering if it isnt wet enough in her tank for her. I'll try giving it a proper good mist later and also i'll use a broom handle rathr then my fingers to make it haha.

Shes maybe just gonna be like this..awkwaard.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All my obligate burrowers have coir substrate. Some tarantulas are just more reluctant to burrow than others.

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
lol...wellll...you could try a set up like this:

IMG_2047.JPG

i mean...its worth a try if you are worried about her. this is a "rock cave" formation...like a fish tank decoration i got at a LPS. huge entrance, and deeply set back too. i found that my Lp LOVES these hides. its dark and cozy, so it gives them sort of a in-the-ground burrow, with out it actually being deep in the sub. i set it in semi-flush to the bottom of the tank, with a little sub under it, then did a gradual rise up, like a ramp out of the hide. im going to make this for my Aphonopelmas too. lol.

then again, maybe your T IS just gonna be really different. lol. OR eventually she will take to digging. if shes eating and drinking water and webbing...eh...just be patient. lol. its hard, i know. im very impatient...then i worry...lol..

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Well, after moaning about it yesterday, the H.lividum is now officially burrowing haha. Shes not made a massive effort but then I don't know if they do them all at once? Shes basically just gone down like 3" and stopped.

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
lol...well thats good though! a little bit down is better then not at all...lol...

i had to take mine out...what an unhappy little T she was! (little is an understatement..she GREW) and shes MEAN too! she was actually only halfway down in her web tube. it was kind of cool. i thought she was dead, but NO WAY...she came at me kicking ands clicking he fangs. omg! i have never heard a T click their fangs. lol. it was an adventure. SO now i have to wait and see if she goes back into the hole-to-go i made for her. wish me luck, lol.