H. lividum in death curl... :\

troglodyte

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got a call from Katy Green sharing with me a hilarious anecdote from the P. ornata breeding chronicles which inspired me to take a gander at my Ts. I noticed something bizarre.

First I noticed that my H. lividum was out of its burrow for the first time EVER. Then I noticed that it was in a death curl. It's been eating pretty regularly, though lately I've been suspecting that it is in pre-molt, and though I may have skimped a little bit on the moisture, it hasn't been long enough for it to be worth mentioning.

I have it in my dark bathroom with the shower running as hot as it gets and I also put a ton of water in there. The T is not quite dead yet. When stimulated it will move its legs about in a motion similar to that with which they use to clean themselves.

I'd like to think that the T came out of its burrow (which is a tight squeeze) to molt and got itself tucked in that corner and stuck. But it's also fair to hypothesize it may have come out in search of hydration, which is what my gut tells me to be more likely.

Sorry for the cell camera quality, it's the best I can do right now.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
uh no pick but how big is it and do you have a water dish in for it?

and its not in the shower right?:confused:

troglodyte

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
uh no pick but how big is it and do you have a water dish in for it?

and its not in the shower right?:confused:
It's about 3.5". There is a water dish in there but it kept burying it so I gave up on it and just sprayed enough water in the tank for it to pool up a little bit in its burrow. And of course it's not IN the shower. I have the shower on to make it warm and humid in the bathroom.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From what I have seen many times a burrowing spider comes out of the burrow to die. Not all the time but a lot. That T looks dead to me(at least in the picture). Is it moving at all?

troglodyte

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what I have seen many times a burrowing spider comes out of the burrow to die. Not all the time but a lot. That T looks dead to me(at least in the picture). Is it moving at all?
It is moving very occasionally, but not in any cohesive or hope-giving manner. Just a feeble movement of legs that looks like what a T does when it's cleaning its mouth.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds like dehydration or maybe nearing death maybe both. An icu I think is in order here. Do you know how to make an icu setup?

troglodyte

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like dehydration or maybe nearing death maybe both. An icu I think is in order here. Do you know how to make an icu setup?
Of course. My biggest issue is moving the T. It's put itself in a weird location within its container where I wouldn't be able to get to it without risk of it falling or me crushing it. I have moistened (see also: soaked) the sub and put the T in the bathroom, covered, with the shower on hot and the door closed. There's no a/c in that room. Would it be worth it to put it in a tupperware?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would just reach in there and pick/scoop her up. She does not look in any sort of condition to fight you. It is worth it if she is only dehydrated and needs water. Then you would be saving her life.

troglodyte

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would just reach in there and pick/scoop her up. She does not look in any sort of condition to fight you. It is worth it if she is only dehydrated and needs water. Then you would be saving her life.
All right, it's in a legitimate ICU at this point. It was responding to being prodded in the direction I was prodding for, which is a good sign. Fingers crossed that this works.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Make sure there is a full water dish in there and she knows where it is.
Maybe there is hope.

troglodyte

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just checked on it and its hovering over the water dish. There's some hope after all. I've seen bigger miracles happen.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had the same problem one year ago with my 4" Lividum and I put her in an ICU and two days later it was ok... very thin but ok... so, I hope your will be fine in the ICU... fingers crossed