H.Gigas with egg sack?

evilkarot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My gigas has never been bred nor has been anywhere near a male. But yesterday I looked in her cage to see her hovering over a sack of webbing. Can they lay an egg sack without having been bred? I know male have a sperm web, what about females?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've heard of female t's laying "phantom sacs" that are either full of infertile eggs or no eggs (not sure which). This is probably your situation.

Did you buy it as an adult and if so has she molted in your care?

evilkarot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes I rescued her as an adult about 6 - 8 months ago. But no she has not molted in my care. I don't think she has anyways.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, if she's wild caught you may end up with a viable sac then. I'm no expert on breeding but some species have very long gestation periods. It's possible she was knocked up before she was captured.

ballpythonteen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i dont know about Ts but reptiles can store sperm if they are mated before they are healthy enough to have babies could be doing the same thing

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you dont want them and they turn out be babies you can send me as many as you want. I'll pm you my address!!!!! :worship: :worship: {D

evilkarot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, she is guarding it very strongly. She will not leave her post. I'm wondering if it is not a viable egg sac? Is there anything I should do with it? This will be the first time I've ever experienced an egg sac. Kinda kool though, I didn't even have to try to breed her. Any and all information would be helpful.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a P cambridgei female that produces an egg sack every year, regardless as to whether she has been bread or not. She defends it rigorously until she realizes that it’s a dud them she abandons it. I think dud egg sacks are fairly common.

John

sassysmama

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is funny. I have a female H gigas I purchased about 3 months ago and she did the same thing 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure if the sac is viable or not. She is still guarding it and will not leave her burrow and has completely sealed it off. I am going to wait 2-3 more weeks and then take it from her and open it up. I have one of those unexplainable feelings that it is a dud, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I was obviously wrong about her being a male, lol! Keep us updated and pm me if you want to share experiences.
-Ally

evilkarot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, just checked in on her, she has completely webbed up her hide. I can't see her from any angle. If it is not a viable egg sack, she sure thinks it is. This'll be interesting. I'll keep you all posted as to how things progress.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would leave her alone because she seems to be showing the signs of being a good mommy. I would only begin to worry when she abandons the eggsac. Besides that, wait about 40 days and pull the eggsac then. By then you should be able to examine the eggs within to see if any development has happened.

evilkarot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, it's been 15 days now, and she's still guarding the sack. Would I be able to see any indication yet as to whether or not this is a viable egg sack? She has not moved from her position above the sack since she made it. Please let me know what I should be seeing during this time.

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a male and female that I have paired twice so far....anxiously watching this thread

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Any news OP? You should probably be seeing some EWLs by now. People usually pull the sac at 28 days so 13 years should be adequate time.

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just out of curiosity, does the male Gigas build a sperm web? my male is about 3 months old and ive paired him with my female 3 times, but ive never seen a sperm web yet.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Phantom egg sacs are pretty common, more so in certain species. If it's not fertile she'll either eventually eat it or abandon it.

cold blood

Staff member
I have a male and female that I have paired twice so far....anxiously watching this thread
Well this thread wont be even a teensy bit relevant....not only has the t in question here NOT been bred, but its also a 13 year old thread...so the female is likely dead from old age by now.

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ty very much Cold Blood guess ill start my own...lol