H. Arizonensis tank set up help

herpist

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, i'll be getting a H. Arizonensis soon do can any of you help me on tank set up. I've done a little research and I was thinking a 45cmx45cmx45cm exo terra tank, 70/30 playsand/excavator clay from the bottom of the doors sloping upto half way at the bask of the tank. I am a little confused on the humidity as I have read 'no humidity' and 40-50% humidity. I've also read about a false bottom covering 1/3 of the bottom, is this needed? Lastly would a ceramic bulb or an infra red bulb be better. any advice welcome.

theguns19726

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, i'll be getting a H. Arizonensis soon do can any of you help me on tank set up. I've done a little research and I was thinking a 45cmx45cmx45cm exo terra tank, 70/30 playsand/excavator clay from the bottom of the doors sloping upto half way at the bask of the tank. I am a little confused on the humidity as I have read 'no humidity' and 40-50% humidity. I've also read about a false bottom covering 1/3 of the bottom, is this needed? Lastly would a ceramic bulb or an infra red bulb be better. any advice welcome.
I think with an exo terra tank, you will be spending to much time moving substrate that it will be throwing against the doors. My Haddy has so many hills and valleys in his tank now, it wasnt even worth it to me to make him a nice rolling floor.
Unless you live in a humid environment. your house should stay at about 40 to 50% humidity anyhow. A little water in a bottle cap or a shallow bowl every 3 or 4 weeks wont hurt to have. Just take it out after you let it evaporate or it will be under ground in a short time. Ceramic heaters are nice but a red bulb (party light) will do a fantastic job of heating the enclosure. Plus remember that they are from North America so there wont be any need to keep it screaming hot... Good luck. You picked a wonderful active scorpie. I love mine.

herpist

Arachnosquire
Cool, thanks for that. It makes more sense to buy a fish tank. I love my P. Imperators but they're only active when I pull them out the tank so thought it was time to find something a bit more active.

Scorpion Tom

Arachnoknight
Cool, thanks for that. It makes more sense to buy a fish tank. I love my P. Imperators but they're only active when I pull them out the tank so thought it was time to find something a bit more active.
then you made a great choice! post pics when they arrive

shebeen

Arachnobaron
I have my Haddy in a 30cmx30cmx30cm exo-terra tank with a 1/3 false bottom. The front doors are convenient, but limit the depth of substrate you can have at the front of the tank. They're also an avenue for escapes--forget to latch them after a feeding just once and your scorp will get out. Mine did (she's back now). For my next Haddy tank, I'll use a 10 gallon aquarium and 8 inches of substrate (it'll probably weigh 70lbs.).

Many people keep their H. arizonensis tank dry to prevent micosis, but this can lead to molting problems. However, some people have had successful molts by employing a partial false bottom, so I thought I'd give it a try. My false bottom runs from front to back along the right side of the tank. I use it sparingly, filling it to about 1/4 inch every two months during the southwest rainy season. The water soaks up into the sand about 2 inches and dries in a week or so.

Although she's dug tunnels on both sides of the tank, my Haddy prefers the side with the moisture and has constructed a tunnel that runs over most of the false bottom.

herpist

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the input guys, pics will be up as soon as I'm all set up.
I love the exo terra tanks, my emps are in one and my giant African land snails are also in one, I'm a little OCD when it comes to matching tanks but like you guys have pointed out there not the best for H. Arizonensis. So would a 3ft tank be big enough to hold 2 of them? I know I've read you shouldn't but if the tank is big enough and they're roughly the same size it shouldn't be a problem should it.

herpist

Arachnosquire
Hi voldermort. Would that be a no to actually keeping 2 together or 3ft tank to small?

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the input guys, pics will be up as soon as I'm all set up.
I love the exo terra tanks, my emps are in one and my giant African land snails are also in one, I'm a little OCD when it comes to matching tanks but like you guys have pointed out there not the best for H. Arizonensis. So would a 3ft tank be big enough to hold 2 of them? I know I've read you shouldn't but if the tank is big enough and they're roughly the same size it shouldn't be a problem should it.
There is nothing wrong with keeping more then one H. Arizonensis in a ten gallon tank? There is way too much fuss about keeping these guys communally. I keep a pair in a ten gallon and I have zero problems with them. I would be willing to put more in there too! I would be perfectly fine keeping 6-10 in a ten gallon tank, and I wouldn't worry about it at all. The key is FEEDING THEM! I feed them at least twice a week and it keeps them plenty healthy and plenty happy and they aren't over weight at all. So don't buy into all the crap of not being able to keep them communally. The only thing I would watch for would be if you don't have adults just watch when they molt, and I wouldn't really even sweat that if you feed them at least twice a week.

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi voldermort. Would that be a no to actually keeping 2 together or 3ft tank to small?
if they are adults and are fed regularly like stated above this post, then it is possible but there is always a case of cannibalism(or mating if you got both sexes ready to do the nasties:))

you are from UK right? I've read somewhere that these stinging beauties are not that common there(correct me if I am wrong), so a casualty as much as possible should be avoided. Just my 2 cents, though.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
As has been quoted many times before, "They're only communal until they're not." That being said, a 30 gallon H. arizonensis setup would be cool. However, it will be heavy...VERY heavy. Dry packed sand weighs 13lbs/gal. If you fill half your tank with sand, you're looking at 195lbs.

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As has been quoted many times before, "They're only communal until they're not." That being said, a 30 gallon H. arizonensis setup would be cool. However, it will be heavy...VERY heavy. Dry packed sand weighs 13lbs/gal. If you fill half your tank with sand, you're looking at 195lbs.
So go with a ten gallon communal, like I said there is nothing wrong with it trust me I have had mine for who knows how long and I haven't ever had a single problem other then the male wants to breed the female every single day of his entire life lol, but really there is no problem with communal H. Arizonensis.

herpist

Arachnosquire
you are from UK right? I've read somewhere that these stinging beauties are not that common there(correct me if I am wrong), so a casualty as much as possible should be avoided. Just my 2 cents, though.
Yes voldemort I'm from the uk but I'm not sure how accessible these scorps are, I have looked online and have found a reptile shop that claims to sell them but I've yet to find a breeder So I've probably just answered your question, lol.
I can see your point about not losing any to canabalism but I do try and get as much info and research as i can before making any rash decisions.

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 11:06 PM ----------

Thanks keister, will do. If I can get them here in uk and once they're in and settle I'll be back to you for advice on breeding.

Last edited:

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes voldemort I'm from the uk but I'm not sure how accessible these scorps are, I have looked online and have found a reptile shop that claims to sell them but I've yet to find a breeder So I've probably just answered your question, lol.
I can see your point about not losing any to canabalism but I do try and get as much info and research as i can before making any rash decisions.

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 11:06 PM ----------

Thanks keister, will do. If I can get them here in uk and once they're in and settle I'll be back to you for advice on breeding.
No problem, anytime. Just glad I can help.