Guide to breeding tarantulas?

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe I'm dumb but I cannot find one on this website. Is there a good guide on the mating process (pairing time, ensuring female gets pregnant, etc)?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Maybe I'm dumb but I cannot find one on this website. Is there a good guide on the mating process (pairing time, ensuring female gets pregnant, etc)?
Hola,

I dont think their is a general guide (you might be able to find an older, detailed post by using the forums search function), but species specific information can be found in the Breeding Report subforum.

Thanks,
--Matt

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Technically, they do not become "pregnant"... they become "gravid." But, moving on from that... Here are some basics:

1. Know when both Ts have molted.
Females should be bred as soon after their last molt as possible to help lessen the risk that they will molt out.
Males have a shelf life once they mature. The fresher the male, the better.

2. Keep your male HYDRATED. Look for sperm webs.

3. For pairing, I recommend keeping the male and female enclosures near each other or sharktanking (keeping the male in a secure enclosure inside the female's enclosure) if possible for at least a few days before attempting a pairing.

4. Be prepared with tools to separate the pair if things go south and you want to try saving the male. Rarely, males will try to kill females also and they can also possibly be injured in a scuffle.

5. I recommend supervising all pairing attempts. Watch videos to know what a successful insertion looks like.

6. Probably should be #1, but, KNOW WHAT SPECIES YOU HAVE. Don't pair Ts bought from pet stores under common names. Acquire your specimens from reputable people who you trust to be honest about the species and origin of the spiders. Do not hybridize species or mix locales of the same species.

but species specific information can be found in the Breeding Report subforum.
Definitely read the Breeding Reports for whatever species you are looking at breeding.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It's not a one size fits all scenario and depends a great deal on the species. Some require a cool down before, some after. Some are more aggressive than other overall. The very basic points have already been brought up, but it would be helpful if you specified a species in case there are certain things outside the standard that need to be done for it to be successful.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
mature male + mature female = babies

your welcome.

there are quite a few videos on pairing, make sure you have the same species and that you are prepared for such a challenge. also the you know how to care for the eggs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don’t breed a common species that has thousands of babies, like an L.p.

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Technically, they do not become "pregnant"... they become "gravid." But, moving on from that... Here are some basics:

1. Know when both Ts have molted.
Females should be bred as soon after their last molt as possible to help lessen the risk that they will molt out.
Males have a shelf life once they mature. The fresher the male, the better.

2. Keep your male HYDRATED. Look for sperm webs.

3. For pairing, I recommend keeping the male and female enclosures near each other or sharktanking (keeping the male in a secure enclosure inside the female's enclosure) if possible for at least a few days before attempting a pairing.

4. Be prepared with tools to separate the pair if things go south and you want to try saving the male. Rarely, males will try to kill females also and they can also possibly be injured in a scuffle.

5. I recommend supervising all pairing attempts. Watch videos to know what a successful insertion looks like.

6. Probably should be #1, but, KNOW WHAT SPECIES YOU HAVE. Don't pair Ts bought from pet stores under common names. Acquire your specimens from reputable people who you trust to be honest about the species and origin of the spiders. Do not hybridize species or mix locales of the same species.

Definitely read the Breeding Reports for whatever species you are looking at breeding.
What exactly am I looking for to ensure the female gets impregnated? How long do I have to leave them together generally?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Read the threads. You looking for male insertation of his embolous into female epigynal and spermatheca. Some speicies mate quickly and some can be left together for weeks. There are to much info so read threads about breeding

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What exactly am I looking for to ensure the female gets impregnated? How long do I have to leave them together generally?
Well, if you're waiting for a tarantula to become "impregnated"... you'll be waiting forever :rolleyes:

Like I said already - Watch YouTube videos to see what spider pairing looks like. I get the feeling you don't even know what to look for to know if a female is receptive... Do. Your. Research.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
This will vary from species to species, which are you looking to breed?
You need to provide the right environmental conditions both pre/post mating, and make sure the male had a successful insertion. The rest falls on the female.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Plus you have to match moulting cycle for female in conjunction to males prime! And know hiw spermweb looks like and much more. And this is only the beginning, then comes egglaying and female incubation! I agree, read and research about breeding. You have to know this things before trying to breed!

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, if you're waiting for a tarantula to become "impregnated"... you'll be waiting forever :rolleyes:

Like I said already - Watch YouTube videos to see what spider pairing looks like. I get the feeling you don't even know what to look for to know if a female is receptive... Do. Your. Research.
Yeah that's why I made this entire thread, to learn about these things. lmao.

And you want me to say in-gravided instead of impregnated? Does that make you feel better even though you already know exactly what I mean?

This will vary from species to species, which are you looking to breed?

You need to provide the right environmental conditions both pre/post mating, and make sure the male had a successful insertion. The rest falls on the female.
Actually looking to breed Calisoga longitarsus. Not quite a tarantula but there's little info on them so I wanted to grasp the basic concepts of breeding mygalomorphs.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are good info about breeding here, and if you think you can handle it, give it a shot. I know nothing about your experience keeping tarantulas, and if you are totally new to it, i think you should wait with breeding until you get more experienced! Diffrence between keeping a tarantula, and breeding an tarantula for an beginner is very big, with lots of parameters that can go wrong!

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do you think you are the first to do so?? There are subforums on here specifically about breeding, lots of videos on YouTube, etc. Instead of making your own thread, sitting back, and waiting for people to spoon-feed you information - DO YOUR RESEARCH.

And you want me to say in-gravided instead of impregnated? Does that make you feel better even though you already know exactly what I mean?
"In-gravided" isn't a word. Once again, a simple search would provide you with the correct word for the situation.

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you think you are the first to do so?? There are subforums on here specifically about breeding, lots of videos on YouTube, etc. Instead of making your own thread, sitting back, and waiting for people to spoon-feed you information - DO YOUR RESEARCH.

"In-gravided" isn't a word. Once again, a simple search would provide you with the correct word for the situation.
Imagine coming into a thread where somebody is asking to learn about a subject, then doing nothing but bombarding them with insults, belittling them for their lack of knowledge and telling them to do their own research.

I've tried searching the boards but can't find any decent guides to breeding tarantulas-particularly the actual mating/pairing process. Can you show me an actual helpful thread?

cold blood

Staff member
There is no one size fits all guide....all ts are unique and there are countless variances.

You want specifics, tell us what you plan to pair. If its a true spider, you need to make a thread in the true spider section, where you will actually hear from people who breed true spider species. That's a start....also getting upset when someone tries to help with terminology wont help in getting others to want to offer their help. Terminology may seem insignificant, but its absolutely not.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Imagine coming into a thread where somebody is asking to learn about a subject, then doing nothing but bombarding them with insults, belittling them for their lack of knowledge and telling them to do their own research.
Did you even read my first reply? I gave you "Tarantula Breeding Basics 101" and you're accusing me of "doing nothing but" insulting you? That isn't how this works :rofl:

How many people have to tell you that there is NOT a "one size fits all" breeding guide and that you need to research specifics to the species you are looking to pair? Just because it isn't what you want to hear doesn't make it insulting :rolleyes:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I don't mind helping, but your questions are vague regarding somethings. If you're asking about general info on breeding, @Teal already answered it for you. The part where it gets vague in your question is what the "species" you're interested in breeding. If you're going to breed soon, we need to know what species in general. Not all T.'s share the same breeding requirements or same breeding patterns/seasons. Hope this gives in insight to what the other members are trying to point out. :D

Drea

Arachnosquire
Maybe I might be dumb but in what world does making an “entire” thread constitute as an institution for learning a new subject? I find the most useful information is from something called, “B O O K S”. They have a bunch of paper stabled together in a protective cover with something called, “W O R D S” printed on the paper. All of the words create, “I N F O R M A T I O N”.

For those that have trouble reading unless it is a picture book, there is something called, “ C O M P U T E R”.
You can type in your question in a search engine called “ G O O G L E”.

For the new word you learned today called BOOKS,

I recommend, “The Tarantula Keepers Guide” by Stanley Schultz and Marguerite Schultz.

For the other new word you learned today called GOOGLE,

I recommend, “Tom’s Big Spiders”

Oh, my apologies, I almost forgot,

!!!!! LMAO !!!!!

We knew what you meant and that is why several people were trying to give you information that you choose not to receive well.

Gravid isn’t what “we” want you to say, it is what the scientific term is because spiders don’t become pregnant. The sperm from a male is collected into a pouch and stored there until she is ready to use the sperm to fertilize her eggs. When she is ready, the female will make an egg sac that she will lay her eggs into for safety. The female will close the sac after all of her eggs are deposited. The eggs inside the sac will grow and develop inside the sac, not inside of the female.

That is why a spider cannot be pregnant. In order to be pregnant, the off spring must grow inside the female. To be gravid means that the spider is carrying eggs that have become fertile and she will grow those eggs outside of her body.

I found this out in a BOOK. Very useful for learning new things. I am sure you will find out more in one hour of reading then 5 seconds of posting an entire 4 words on a thread.

Cheers to that mate. :)