Growth Rate of Terrestrials compared to Arboreals?

OhGeezRick

Arachnopeon
Correct me if I'm wrong, never having kept arboreals, but they tend to live shorter lifespans, right? I was told that some people hypothesized that the metabolism of arboreals compared to terrestrials caused them to live shorter lives? Forgive my newbie question.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Correct me if I'm wrong, never having kept arboreals, but they tend to live shorter lifespans, right? I was told that some people hypothesized that the metabolism of arboreals compared to terrestrials caused them to live shorter lives? Forgive my newbie question.
I think all of them are either tropical or OW species which typically grow faster and have shorter lifespans than arid NW terrestrials species anyway (as do tropical NW terrestrials and OW terrestrials IIRC).

Last edited:

OhGeezRick

Arachnopeon
Okay, thanks. Quick Q, what is a good starter arboreal if one is looking to get into arboreals? :happy:

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
Tapinauchenius are good too, if you have experience with skittish terrestrials. They tend to be little skittish, but they are easy to keep a grow really fast and they eat a lot. They were my first arboreals cause avics are rare to find in my country and they are pricey here, even as slings.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Tapinauchenius are good too, if you have experience with skittish terrestrials. They tend to be little skittish, but they are easy to keep a grow really fast and they eat a lot. They were my first arboreals cause avics are rare to find in my country and they are pricey here, even as slings.
Tapinauchenius as a first arboreal...don't know about that..okay, less potent venom and not very defensive, but they are Fast, with a capital F. I think learning to deal with the agility of an arboreal before getting into very fast or very potent species is better. At least, that worked better for me.

cold blood

Staff member
Confusing...the title is about growth rates, the opening question is about life span, and mentions nothing about growth rates.:rofl:

Growth rates are species dependent...just as some terrestrials grow really fast and some grow really slow, same holds true for arboreals.

Likewise, those that grow faster, will have shorter lives as a rule. But I don't know of any arboreals I can think of that live 25-40 years like some terrestrials can.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tapinauchenius are good too, if you have experience with skittish terrestrials
Most would disagree on this. Tapi's are widely regarded as the fastest T known. An Avic is a better choice for than a Tapi when trying out arboreals.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
NW terrestrials live the longest and typically grow more slowly, there are exceptions however to the slow growth rate, quite a few exceptions actually in the NW. I would not say that metabolism itself dictates life span.