grout substrate for GGB

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Question, I built what I think is a pretty good set up for my GGB. Out is sand mixed with grout. I made a hide for her that she took to right away. I know sand is not recommended for terrestrial species but I figure the GGB is only semi terrestrial and it wouldn't matter much. She has been in there for a few months now and it doesn't seem to be an issue, but she has laid down a pretty thick web on the surface and she isn't webbing her tank like I thought she would. I was starting to think maybe she is protecting her belly with the webbing, but this is just a thought, there is no indication of sores on her belly out anything like that. Just would like an educated opinion on whether I should cover the floor with Eco Earth our if I am just being an over critical daddy. 20140117_233108.jpg

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I would definitely recommend switching the substrate out for coco fiber, peat, or some other standard substrate. Sand is generally way more trouble than it's worth.

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess you could say in the wild this might be some what how or where they might live......but if it was ME I would put some sub down....maybe not all over but some

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys, I have been thinking of putting some eco in but I saw a national geographic that showed GGB in the wild and it was all sand. I tried my best to recreate the environment. I would hate to change it unless it is necessary.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Personally I don't see any problem. GBBs web up everything anyway, regardless of what you keep them on. With a dry loving species like this, you won't really run into issues of anything getting wet and rancid under the sand (just be careful of the area around the water dish I guess).

In my opinion you should just keep it the way it is, or at least use a more naturally looking sub than coir for that setup if you decide to use any. Looks great, by the way.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Thanks Hobo. I respect your opinion, not just cause I think it matched mine when I first thought to put this together, but you seem to give sound advice across the board. Thanks, I will leave it as is until our if I see an issue with the girl. So far she is eating and acting fine, all but the lack of webbing. I read somewhere that a thought as to why they web so much is to keep their Sandy environments from blowing in the wind. I figure, maybe mine does not web since the sand is not moving. I do have a lite coat of loose sand sprinkled souls just for a more realistic feel for her. It really is a nice enclosure. The pic does no justice. Thanks again.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
I like it the way it is. I don't think it'll cause any problems, since you don't need to worry about humidity with this species. Everything in there will be covered in web pretty soon, which will provide cushioning from falls that a softer substrate would normally provide.

Looks great.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks guys, I have been thinking of putting some eco in but I saw a national geographic that showed GGB in the wild and it was all sand. I tried my best to recreate the environment. I would hate to change it unless it is necessary.
First I like the setup A LOT, very very nice. Curious, on the special, do you know if it just showed a GBB on sand and that's all they live on, OR they are exposed to a variety of substrates in the wild?

Second, that's a beautiful GBB, my female is 4", but yours looks much larger? What size is she, she's pretty!

I realize people say GBBs are semi-xyz, but it's my impression (am I wrong?) that they really are terrestrial, certainly their morphology is not arboreal like many species.

Lastly, GBBs will lay down thick web, so her webbing the ground is normal. Mine is on coco fiber, SOFT stuff, and she's always on thick webbing.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Curious, on the special, do you know if it just showed a GBB on sand and that's all they live on, OR they are exposed to a variety of substrates in the wild?
[youtube]dSDJKt6V5p0[/youtube]
Here's the special in question. At about 16:22 in is when the Venezuela/GBB stuff starts.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Thanks Viper and Hobo. Hobo, that video is exactly the special I was talking about. After watching it again, I am even more comfortable with my enclosure. Viper, as far as my Girl, she is about 5" maybe 5 1/2" and very healthy. Also, thanks for the info regarding yours webbing her floor. I thought maybe mine was trying to protect herself from the floor, like I have heard they will do when put on Walnut shells and other uncomfortable substrates. I will rest easy tonight and wont give this another thought. You guys are very helpful to guys like me. I usually spend more time reading. I rarely post. It is good to get positive responses and good information and feedback. Thanks

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine took a while to start webbing much. Sometimes it can take weeks or months before you see a lot.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's the special in question. At about 16:22 in is when the Venezuela/GBB stuff starts.
Excellente!!!!! Thanks Hobo!! I always forget to think and check if stuff is on youtube.

---------- Post added 01-24-2014 at 11:04 PM ----------

Thanks Viper and Hobo. Hobo, that video is exactly the special I was talking about. After watching it again, I am even more comfortable with my enclosure. Viper, as far as my Girl, she is about 5" maybe 5 1/2" and very healthy. Also, thanks for the info regarding yours webbing her floor. I thought maybe mine was trying to protect herself from the floor, like I have heard they will do when put on Walnut shells and other uncomfortable substrates. I will rest easy tonight and wont give this another thought. You guys are very helpful to guys like me. I usually spend more time reading. I rarely post. It is good to get positive responses and good information and feedback. Thanks
No problem man. I just looked at mine again and she's busy making more web! It will be so thick, it will be white and I won't be able to see the coco fiber. I had a feeling yours was quite a bit bigger than mine judging by the water bowl you have. She's gorgeous. I hope mine gets that size.

What's the hide made out of ? It looks like some preformed shape w/grout over it?? I like the setup quite a bit.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
[/ATTACH] 2014-01-24 23.08.26.jpg 2014-01-24 23.08.40.jpg What's the hide made out of ? It looks like some preformed shape w/grout over it?? I like the setup quite a bit.[/QUOTE]

I found a piece of root on the side of my house that looked pretty curved and cool. I cut is to fit how I liked. I put it in the tank the way I wanted it to look. I put some water balloons together to form the hide. I put grout mixed with some sand and cocofiber around the balloons and the wood to secure everything, including the other sticks and dead weeds from my yard around the rest of the enclosure. After it dried, I popped the balloons, and there it was. I made sure one of the balloons was against the back glass and it created a cool little peek hole into the hide for those times when she closes herself in and I want to check on her. I have a black paper taped over the hole to give her privacy until I want to see her. It turns out that she loves to hang right in front of her hide or on the very top. I was very glad, since you hope the T does what you want, but like my wife, she usually doesnt. This has turned out perfect. She is always out and about. Hope this helps a little Viper.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
It's definitely a pretty setup. I'd like to clarify by the way, in case there's any nagging in your brain: my preference to switch to a different substrate has nothing to do with the safety of the GBB, it's just personal preference.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Mr. LordWaffle,
No Nagging. I understand your preference and the concerns over cleaning and humidity with sand. I was just going by the video that Hobo Posted and was not concerned about any humidity issues, since all water is in the water dish, and cleaning is so minimal, I figure I would just have to figure out how to get the bolus out when needed. Thanks for the compliment.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks man that was helpful! With the new pics now I can see much better less glare :). Balloons that's a great idea!

kevp

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't change anything my friend.. You've got what looks like a great setup and the chromatopelma looks in great shape too. I would love an enclosure like this for my gbb. Good job you over critcal daddy you. lol