Groups in Western PA

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does anybody on here live in Western PA? I'm hoping to make some local connections and friends who are keepers and breeders. Right now I am the only person around who keeps tarantulas.

Are there any groups or functions? I know of the show's in Cheswick, Hamburg, and Grove City.

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
Eastern PA (Schuylkill County) here. I'm about 10 minutes from Hamburg. There was a show in Lebanon last week that was pretty good. I also dont see too many others in the hobby around here. Most of the people who attended the expos were there for reptiles. I see a lot of people on the site here from Cali and Texas, but only a few from the northeast.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Every show I go to has 99 percent reptiles. I wish there were people closer to form some sort of group. I literally dont know of any other T keepers within 4 hours of me.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@J.huff23, I've learned that in many cases if there isn't a pre-existing group near you, the best way to get into one is to start it yourself if that's possible. I am sure there are more local tarantula keepers near you, it is just a matter of finding them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@J.huff23, I've learned that in many cases if there isn't a pre-existing group near you, the best way to get into one is to start it yourself if that's possible. I am sure there are more local tarantula keepers near you, it is just a matter of finding them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I agree. That's the reason for my post. To find them.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I might also suggest putting it out on some other form of social media to get the word out. I have been very blessed to find that many locals near me are on Arachnoboards, but that is not always the case. Somebody in the neighborhood over may be an ardent tarantula collector and posts to FB or IG, but isn't on Arachnoboards. Therefore, if you use other social media platforms, I would suggest mentioning you are looking to start an invertebrate club on them.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

DancingHare

Arachnopeon
I see a lot of people on the site here from Cali and Texas, but only a few from the northeast.
I live in the northeast as well! I have also noticed a shortage of expos in my area. They generally are between 3 and 4 hours drive, though there is one in my city next week. Western NY (Buffalo/Rochester) seems to have quite a lot more expos.