Grooming-Preening

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was watching our L. parahybana groom itself and became quite fixated with the process. I noticed that after molting our tarantulas spend a good deal of time after they harden “preening”. As well our T’s “preen” off an on, after eating and drinking. After digging, etc.
Watching them tuck their feet in their mouth and rub their bodies and legs. I started to wonder.
So I decided to post to ask a few questions.

1) Do tarantulas have a gland or other type of mechanism Similar to a birds uropygial gland?

2) Is this a Part of their digestive fluids? Or a separate fluid or substance manufactured in a tarantula For this purpose.

3) If so. Do these “preen oils” or another similar substance help their exoskeleton maintain a bit of flexibility? Possibly, moisturize and condition it?

4) Would this also allow for waterproofing?

5) Is this why the cephalothorax seems to dull quickest on a tarantula? Because they can’t Really Reach it to “preen” it properly? Considering that the rest of them often has a great deal more “sheen and shine”.

Thanks for your patience with my silly questions.

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! I never really though about that. It would be interesting to know if they do have something like that.

Hemolymph

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
*bump*
Good question. I'd like to know the answer.........

- Jeni

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Excellent question. I've often wondered along those lines as well when watching mine "preen." It is fascinating the way the Ts pull their legs through their fangs etc. & also clean their abdomens.

Possibly they are cleaning their legs off (substrate & stuff) that has accumulated on their sensory "hairs" in order for them to be able to use their sensory capabilities to the fullest, so as not to receive false information.
I imagine it is easier for the T to receive accurate sensory information via "clean" appendages & butt. :)