Greetings to all...........

BajanBastard

Arachnopeon
Hello to all the guys an gals on the board.
I was reading up on centipedes and just stumbled unto this forum, very interesting! I live in the West Indies, Barbados to be exact, and reading up on the forum has helped me decide on catching a local centipede as a pet. Looking forward to spending some time over here and learning from the pros.

Thanks for your time.

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the forum. This place is a blast, I was just surfing too and I stumbled across it. Now im learning about all types of things such as scorpians, spiders, tarantulas, centipedes and more.. ;)

JIMSONWEED

Arachnopeon
BajanBastard said:
Hello to all the guys an gals on the board.
I was reading up on centipedes and just stumbled unto this forum, very interesting! I live in the West Indies, Barbados to be exact, and reading up on the forum has helped me decide on catching a local centipede as a pet. Looking forward to spending some time over here and learning from the pros.

Thanks for your time.
Howw, maybe you are going to find that famous Sc. subspinipes barbados

Welcome, lucky man.

BajanBastard

Arachnopeon
JIMSONWEED said:
Howw, maybe you are going to find that famous Sc. subspinipes barbados

Welcome, lucky man.
Oh? Didn't know the locals had any special merit. From looking at this site and seeing some of you dude handling em with your bare hands......you guys are crazy. Local centipedes sting the second they come into contact with you, well that my experience thus far....... it's so bad we kill em on sight.

BajanBastard

Arachnopeon
JIMSONWEED said:
:embarrassed: You're are going to become a pede's keeper, so this is finished, isn't it:)

Ciao.
Yeah i'm done killing em, funny thing is i would have NEVER thought of keeping one until i stumbled into this forum. I just decided to read up on em because of well..............fear:eek: One got me on my pinky finger a while back, my arm was swollen about twice its size and don't talk about the pain. I do think they are cool creatures though.:razz:

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards. I'm looking forward to hearing what you can catch in your area. Photos of you pedes would be great, and it would be interesting if you could post any habitat photos as well.

Cheers,

BajanBastard

Arachnopeon
danread said:
Welcome to the boards. I'm looking forward to hearing what you can catch in your area. Photos of you pedes would be great, and it would be interesting if you could post any habitat photos as well.

Cheers,
Will do bro. From what i can assess they are 3-4 different species on the island. The area i'm in right now these smallish (4-5 inches) dark red ones are common. In another parish (or state the yanks would say) there are huge (7-8 inches) bright red-orange ones i think i'll catch one of those first. Most likely this wkend.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
BajanBastard said:
Will do bro. From what i can assess they are 3-4 different species on the island. The area i'm in right now these smallish (4-5 inches) dark red ones are common. In another parish (or state the yanks would say) there are huge (7-8 inches) bright red-orange ones i think i'll catch one of those first. Most likely this wkend.

oh man!

welcome welcome welcome!

i can't wait to see Barbados pics!

Jimmy James

Arachnopeon
BajanBastard said:
Local centipedes sting the second they come into contact with you
Centipedes don't sting. They don't have stingers. They have modified claws with venom glands.

JIMSONWEED

Arachnopeon
Jimmy James said:
Centipedes don't sting. They don't have stingers. They have modified claws with venom glands.
No, it's modified legs wich have became the "claws" or forcipuls.

Ciao.

BajanBastard

Arachnopeon
Sting, bite, kick, punch, whatever you wanna call it. All i know is that its a very unpleasant experience. Also when talking about a pede we usually say it 'stung' or 'bit' us.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
BajanBastard said:
Sting, bite, kick, punch, whatever you wanna call it. All i know is that its a very unpleasant experience. Also when talking about a pede we usually say it 'stung' or 'bit' us.
at least one of the species on Barbados in a Scolopendra subspinipes, or part of that crazy complex. some of those have probably the most painful bite.

and in the much touted Filipino girl case (supposedly bit on the head by a S. sub' and the 7 year old girl died) was supposed to be some kind of subspinipes.

i will play with lots of different kinds of centipedes... but have NOT found the right subspinipes yet!