Green pellets in substrate...

amberlecemu

Arachnopeon
Hmmm... YO dudes I was the one with the superworms problem... now that's fixed. But in the painstaking process of removing the worms... I also found lots of small green pellet like things in the substrate(definitely look man-made).

What r those things?? I removed them anyway.

Anyway Amber(my T) settled back into the wormless enclosure very quickly and is doing well... hanging out near the water dish on a piece of bark.

I managed to get some crickets too, haven't fed her though. She doesn't look hungry anyway... will wait till next monday.

now what to do with my superworms... ... I think I'm not going to feed Amber those anymore.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
fertilizers perhaps? what kind of substrate are you using (look on the package for a list of ingredients)

Wikkids_Wench

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Take a long and careful look at the packaging and make sure that there are no fertilisers, insecticides, pesticides, moisture-retainers or other chemicals listed. The green pellets could be a chemical additive designed to kill soil pests or to help the soil retain liquid in dry periods. A lot of companies that produce peat for use in gardens add in chemicals to make it more user-friendly for the gardeners but they're unlikely to do animals, particularly arthropods, any good. The only garden peat that's really safe to use as substrate is steam-treated, additive free peat.

amberlecemu

Arachnopeon
<EDIT> I dun have the package anymore.. all i remembered was it was canadian 100% sphagnum peat moss, on the front of the packaging

Last edited by a moderator:

Wikkids_Wench

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In that case I'd be inclined to replace it with something you *know* is safe. Steam-treated chemical-free peat, coconut fibre or similar - at least that way you'd know there weren't any pesticides or insecticides in the tank.