Green Bottle Blue is... Well idk.

Okyman

Arachnopeon
I have a Green Bottle Blue about 1 1/2 cm with its legs out. I noticed a few days ago, that he looked dead! So I was preparing too get the poor fellow out when I saw him move. He barely shrugged but it was enough for me to notice. He/she just sits in one spot and idk if it's dead or alive. Now it's winter so I thougt he might be cold and put a heat lamp on him. He is shrugged up like a dead spider does, by he is still alive? I don't have a water dish in his cage cause I thought they got water from their food. He isn't under fed, at least I don't think... He looks pretty plump so I wouldn't imagine he is starving. I tryed sticking a roach in there when I first noticed him, but he/she kinda touched it and then left it alone.
If anyone I knows what's wrong please help me out!

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 12:38 AM ----------

I don't want the poor thing to die cause of my stupidity...

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
i know that when they die, the sort of pull their legs under themselves and ball up. i would just let it be, maybe its in the process, or something...i have read on here that some will leave it and if it begins to smell then yeah, its pretty much dead. maybe its getting ready to molt?

Okyman

Arachnopeon
I thought of molt as well, but he has done this for like two days now. And don't they lay on their back to molt?

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
yeah, on their back, and not dead. maybe post a pic so we can see what it looks like exactly? maybe someone can give you a better idea of whats going on.

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
have you tried the search tool? i guess they call it that...maybe theres some behavior posts on there for GBBs.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How long have you had it? When did it eat last? What kind of substrate? How dry is the substrate? Are you trickling any water down the side or onto the substrate for it?

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i know that when they die, the sort of pull their legs under themselves and ball up. i would just let it be, maybe its in the process, or something...i have read on here that some will leave it and if it begins to smell then yeah, its pretty much dead. maybe its getting ready to molt?

That does not always happen I have had them die flat out, legs pointing upwards.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 06:26 AM ----------

yeah, on their back, and not dead. maybe post a pic so we can see what it looks like exactly? maybe someone can give you a better idea of whats going on.

Again not all T's molt on there back, I have had plenty do it upright.

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
picky picy picky. i read the norm is on the back. i am also aware that very few actually molt standing up, BUT yes, some get stuck that way and dont flip.. only have read about THAT once. so chill will ya. i DID ask for a pic so we could SEE what his GGB looked like. chill.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
picky picy picky. i read the norm is on the back. i am also aware that very few actually molt standing up, BUT yes, some get stuck that way and dont flip.. only have read about THAT once. so chill will ya. i DID ask for a pic so we could SEE what his GGB looked like. chill.
You haven't done much reading then.

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
look, instead of pointing out useless info on how many books i have read, why dont you guys actually help the guy figure out what his GBB is doing? maybe that may HELP him. hes obviously worried and needs someone who is willing to assist him.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 07:13 AM ----------

Idk how go upload a pic brought iPod
i DONT have an iPhone, but if i take with pics with my phone, i have to email it to myself and then download to my comp. sad. but im sure there are lots of helpful, knowledgeable people on here that are willing to help you with that.

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Not picky but if your going to offer advice you need to know what your talking about I was correcting you, You would be surprised at the amount of T's that do molt upright I have a Brachypelma Albiceps and also a Chilobrachy Burmensis that prefers molting upright and has never flipped before.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
When you hook your iPhone to your computer iTunes should give you an option yo upload your pictures. Once I uploaded them mine were saved to My Pictures under My Computer. If its acting sluggish it might be in premolt, or it might be dehydrated. Try dripping a little water down near it and see if it drinks. If its in premolt I'd suggest leaving it alone.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Not picky but if your going to offer advice you need to know what your talking about I was correcting you, You would be surprised at the amount of T's that do molt upright I have a Brachypelma Albiceps and also a Chilobrachy Burmensis that prefers molting upright and has never flipped before.
Agreed. I have had a few spiders molt upright also, with no ill effects. It's not as uncommon as people seem to think. The first year I was in the hobby I had 2 spiders molt upright...I have also had spiders die that were not in death curls.

As for the OP, a pic would help. It's really hard to determine what's going on based on text alone. As much info as possible, as to when it last ate, what it ate, how it's being kept etc would help. Since you said you haven't provided water, I would suggest misting a little bit of the enclosure, or using an eye dropper or syringe to put some water in near it. It could be a bit dehydrated.

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
look, instead of pointing out useless info on how many books i have read, why dont you guys actually help the guy figure out what his GBB is doing? maybe that may HELP him. hes obviously worried and needs someone who is willing to assist him.

I believe they're talking about threads/posts or other internet related resources and not books that you've read. Surprisingly I've only read two books about spiders and one of them was Charlotte's Web. ;)

matt82

Arachnoknight
Once the GBB's environment is to it's liking (basically for a GBB sling IMO, all dry substrate, with a small patch of spaghnum moss that is hydrated once a week, twice MAX - moss is optional, you could just spray a corner, but the moss hold moisture a lot better) there unfortunately isn't a whole lot you can do except wait it out and don't disturb it.

You said the sling was looking pretty plump, good sign it could be approaching a molt in that case. Their behaviour is like clockwork in my experience; either on feed and chomping with gusto, or off-feed and preparing to molt.
If your GBB sling was bulked up pretty fast, whether intended or not, (I'm not saying power feeding!) then the pre-molt period will be longer than if it had have been brought slowly and steadily up to the sufficiently full, or pre-molt stage. Sounds like there is a fair chance it is just in pre molt.
Even with a sling, it wouldn't be unheard of for pre-molt to last anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks.

Keep patient is all I can advise other than that. Best of luck, hopefully it is fine :)