Gravid, Premolt, or Just Fat?

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have this V. Spinigerus, and it has been plumping up lately, and I was wondering if it is gravid. I did not get them as scorplings, so I don't know what instar they are or how old they are. But I do have one that is younger (it is smaller and telson is white) so I think this one and my other one are mature.

Here are pics:

Thanks

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm thinking gravid. You can see the babys.

Last edited:

erika357

Arachnopeon
Yay! I hope it is gravid! It will be our first set of babies!!!

Any advice?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yay! I hope it is gravid! It will be our first set of babies!!!

Any advice?
I have had pretty smooth sailing with Vaejovis' species. Separate slings when they scatter from mom. Keep humidity a little higher than normal. Pretty easy. The less you disturb her from now until scatter is better imo. I would remove water dish after she births. Other that, peace and quiet, r and r, and cross your fingers. Good luck!

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Should I separate her from the communal tank, and put her in her own smaller tank with some moist cocofiber substrate right now before she pops? Or should I wait to separate her, or should I keep her in the enclosure she is in with sand, and move the male?

Thanks

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any ideas on rehousing her? I know nomadinexile said to keep the humidity higher, so should I move her to coco? Right now she is on sand.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also should I be feeding her until she gives birth and then stop, or continue while the babies are on her back? Or should I stop feeding for a while before the birth?

Sorry for all the noob questions but I want optimal conditions for her to have some babies.

Thanks

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Separate her. The container you put her in, is the container you will chasing babies in. The other scorpions will only eat the stragglers that are off of her back. Feel free to give her a food source, she will take food if she needs it. They often wait until second instar to feed, if not 100% defensive. They will eventually eat with great enthusiasm, and will share the meal.

Humid yes, wet no.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. I just moved her into a smaller tank with some coco fiber as substrate. I put in a few hides and a water dish. She is running around it right now, just getting use to the change, hopefully the new enclosure with different substrate won't be too much of a shock for her, and she will still have healthy babies.

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
gravid all the way... start colecting condiment cups for the babies. You'll need somewhere in the vicinity of 55... that's what mine gave me when I still had her.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am hoping she pops soon. I need to get some deli cups though.

Man it will be cool to see 55 little buggers come out of her :D

I am not sure what I will do with 55. I guess I need to see if any friends/family want to start a colony.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any body know the gestation period on these? She still hasn't popped.

Thanks

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm not sure what their gestation period is but it's quite long.
I had a couple of wildcaught females that looked gravid when I bought them and it took them 6 months to pop.
I've raised up some of the babies and now they're gravid. Unfortunately I didn't write down when the first female was bred but it's been longer than six months and probably more like 8.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok thanks for the reply. I guess I just need to wait a few more months, since she didn't start showing until awhile before I started this thread.

Which is ok, since I still need to find some friends that would want to take a couple scorpions...

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I checked on her this morning and she finally popped:razz: I am pretty sure she is still giving birth. I will try to take some pictures later. I don't want to disturb her too much.