Gravid or just Fat?

Ciryluk3g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got pair of Heterometrus loaticus a couple of months ago.. both were fairly slim when I got em, male still is but female now looks like this:

Question is: is she gravid or just fat/well fed? :?

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well if u've been keeping a pair together then it's possible they could have mated.

i think its too early to be able to tell.

OneSickPuppy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
or if you acquired it from a pet store it could be preggo as some of us find out.

EmperorJay

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I've been raising some P.Imp's and I got a big female at a petco mostly because they were idiots and didn't know what they were doing and she looked pitiful. Well I got home and put her in with my big male and they went CRAZY on each other so I immediately seperated them, and a few months later she had ten little ones. She ate one and one drown, but i still have 8 and they all made it through the first molt!

wikkid_devil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you get a side shot? I would be interested in a better view of the pleural membrane.

Ciryluk3g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had the male and female housed seperately until about a week ago, I got them from a dealer and do not know how they were kept previous to me aquiring them... if they were kept communaly or not. I feed them weekly to bi-weekly here is another pic of the female though I now believe she is just fat! :?

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The big emperor scorpions are all wild caught...the exporters, wholesalers, etc. usually almost always keep them communally in large groups. Alot of the time they arrive gravid already... Baby emperors are really neat- I wish ya the best of luck!

Ciryluk3g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well ya know what? lol she was gravid... still giving birth atm! :)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if she was only as fat as in that picture, then you better give her some prekilled crickets

Ciryluk3g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
On another forum I was advised that she was just fat and I was feeding her too much and advised to cut down her food... thankfully I didn't listen.

She did get bigger than those pics show... but didn't attain anywhere near the proportions of my H.spinifer while gravid!

This was her a month ago... with the male and on her own still not a great increase in size! :evil: So will pre-kill her some crickets! ;)

Attachments

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
here is a poor pic of my pregnant female (Vietnamese Variety)
she is maybe twice as fat NOW, that was taken several months ago

Ciryluk3g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for that pic...... that is a huge size difference! :8o :( They were both much slimmer when I got them (April this year) as WC and had near no membrane showing at the sides... she would have been preg already :? She has only had 3 babies, if she has anymore(I doubt) I don't think there will be anymore than 6... would she have re-absorbed some if she wasn't fed enough? :?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
i got mine from faunology.co.uk (when it was easyexotics)

like you, mine arrived totally annorexic, it was just over 1cm thick (abdomen)
they had just been imported at that time, so maybe she had only just been fertilized, cos she gave birth to 18 babies several months later.

wait till your babies grow up, they are super docile :)

Ciryluk3g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok... the female gave birth out in the open, she has since gone into hiding.. in a shallow burrow under a flower pot. I fed her some pre-killed crix, which she took, while under the flower pot. Today I have noticed a 4th baby on her back does this mean she may not be finished? :confused: How long do females take to complete the birthing process? :?

My H.spinifer took 2 days but it was like 3-4 babies born, break, 3-4 more babies born, break until she was done no days in between given birth :?

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry to go off topic somewhat, but George, that is kinda funny... my Hadrurus arizonensis arrived from Faunology VERY slim, but gravid. As you know already, I fed her up and now she has given birth to a brood... :D

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
fat scorp

I was wondering if mine is getting fat or is pregnant or getting ready to molt.

Problem right now is its body has become very thick and looks alot like the above picts. The left side, 2nd leg is laying all the way back and my scorpion seems to be dragging it.

I'm not exactly sure what sex mine is...when I purchased it from a pet store locally they had all their scorpions in seperate little containers.

Attachments

Last edited:

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
worried

The other night I had to "rescue" my scorpion. Like I stated before it is leaning to the left and one of the legs is held back. My scorp is basically dragging its left side along when it moves. The other night I checked in on it and it was on its left side next to the water bowl. The legs on the right side were up in the air. At first I thought it was dead but I blew on it some and it struggled to right itself but couldnt. I help it out and it crawled under some branches.

Is my scorpion hurt? I mentioned that the body was getting rather big and maybe it is a female that is pregnant. If this is the case do other scorpions sometimes have problems with their legs while pregnant?