gravid Leiurus quinquestriatus popped, need help

subic_spiderworld

Arachnopeon
The (claimed) Leiurus quinquestriatus I bought last year popped today. It is my first time to have scorps as well as have scorplings. I need help.
1. when will I separate the babies from the mom?
2. when will I separate each babies from each other?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Conan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Once they molt and wander off the mom's back they can be put in their own container. Why do you call it "claimed"? Did you know it was a female, much less a gravid female? If you don't want the babies you could always wait for them to hit second instar and sell them off or give them away (faster version of getting rid of them). How experienced are you with scorpions? Not meant to be rude, but I would imagine if you were experienced enough to own a Leiurus quinquestriatus you would be able to ID it and would know what to do if babies arrived.

Marshal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I totally agree with the care tips provided above, just be absolutley careful with those babies as they are rather quick to sting... I almost got popped today by my C. gracilis (C.A species) 2nd instars, luckily the callus in my hand is too thick!

Conan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
czarmx said:
he just said it is his first scorpion
My question about experience was meant more as a statement.

Last edited:

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just don't handle them with your hand. Use tweezzer, scoop, spatula, whatever you can use. Never stick your hand inside the tank when removing the babies. If your hand is atleast 12" away, you'll be fine.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's quite a leap to keep LQs as beginner scorps, and now slings. I've never mustered enough guts to keep one. I think this guy can handle it. I believe he has kept a lot of Ts for sometime.

Here's my tips:

- separate them as soon as they leave their mom's back.
-feed them pinheads or fruitflies. (I also feed them termites.)
-make sure the enclosure is not too dry to prevent dessication.
- BE CAREFUL not to injure the scorp and yourself.

Congratulations! Those are nice scorps. Post some pics soon.

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Congratulations. I had scorplings on one of my L. q. and kept them with the mother for 3 months, only lost a couple, but i fed them a lot and they had lots of space. So if you want all of them to survive you should seperate them as soon as they start to wander around.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Robie,

First, Congrats on the new "kids"!
Here's the low:

In 2-4 days, the white post-embryos will molt then, can remain on the female's dorsum for upwards to another week.
As soon as they begin to disperse from the female, to prevent cannibalism, separate each instar 2 scorpling into an individual container (4 oz plastic portion cups with lids - available from restaurant supply companies). Add a small amount of dry substrate (sand or peat) and a small piece of cork bark, bark, anything size-appropriate the young scorps can use as a "hide".
Punch a few ventilation holes in the lid and a few in the sides (near the rim) to provide a bit of airflow to remove moist stagnant air and to prevent any fungal infections.
After setting up the individual containers, lightly wet a small portion of the substrate before introducing the scorplings - just enough to provide trace moisture. Then, lightly wet the substrate every 3-4 days.
Most L. quins are ravenous feeders so, the scorplings can be offered small crickets, roaches, spiders or mealworms as prey. Once they reach instar 4, they can be kept in similar conditions to adult specimens!
Good luck...Luc

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hi robbie.

perhaps you could post a pic for identification purposes.

subic_spiderworld

Arachnopeon
thanks for all the help guys.
As for the statement "claimed" it was sold as an L.q. but a friend of mine told me it is a martense?
Alakdan I need to get in touch with you. pm or text me at my mobile. 09158021111

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LQ was your first scorp??????? i'm having second thoughts about getting arizonensis! i love handling my imperator, i will no doubt attempt to pic up a venomous scorp and die...

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Robie,

Would be a bit hard to confuse the two species! What size (length) is your specimen?
L. quin is easy to ID. Simply examine the first two segments (mesosomal segments/tergites I & II) behind the carapace and count the raised keels (carinae). With L. quin, there will be 5 (pentacarinate) per segment.

Luc

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha gigus it happens to the best of us, NEedles to say if you have managed to handle a EXTEMELY deadly scorp for more than a year i would say you can continue to do so, you obviously have gotten the idea of what your doing seeing as your not dead! Haha, but if it is an M, Martensii then it should be easy to discern from an LQ. Whats the coloring of the 5th metasomal segment?

Basically which one of these does it look like
LQ
http://www.venomdoc.com/images/Leiurus_quinquestriatus.JPG

MM
http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/foto/m_martensii4.jpg

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gigus,

Trust me, getting "tagged" by any Hadrurus spp. is little worse than most bee stings. As for handling any "hots" - I know it's tempting and I'll not lie and say that I never have but just say "no"! LOL

Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
'Shew,

DO NOT rely on the coloration of met seg V to differentiate the two species. In M. martensii, the coloration can be indistinct or greatly reduced. In L. quin, coloration of V can be vestigial or distinct. Coloration should not be relied upon to ID a scorp as many species are polymorphic to some degree.
For example, there are M. martensii that are straw yellow, brown, gray and almost black in overall coloration. L. quin may be yellow, yellowish brown or brown and a few shades in-between.
The easiest way is to simply count the carinae of mes segs I & II. L.q. possesses pentacarinate carinae - Mesobuthus does not. There are other differentiating characters but the above is the easiest method unless a person is familiar with the body structures of both species.

Take care...Luc

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
jus recieve a LQ and it was almost the sme size as the martenssi i had. so ive made a few comparison,

LQ more slinder claw, thiner and longer tail/legs. .. hehe

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Walton!

Just count the carinae of mesosomal tergites I & II! LOL