Gravid Female Care

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
I've read some articles saying that a gravid female she be kept at higher temps to ensure that she will lay an eggsac. But I've also read some articles saying that lower temps are better because it will reduce the chance of her molting out and losing her sperm. Just looking for your guys opinion

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Why would you breed tarantulas without prior knowledge on keeping gravid females? You should know what to do beforehand, not do it and ask questions later.

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
Why would you breed tarantulas without prior knowledge on keeping gravid females?
I'm sorry I should've stated this, I'm currenty just a collector. But I'm just trying to figure these things out before I do start breeding

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I'm sorry I should've stated this, I'm currenty just a collector. But I'm just trying to figure these things out before I do start breeding
I’m not knowledgeable on breeding, just thought you decided to breed before doing research beforehand. Carry on, you’re in the right place.
My bad 😣

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
All depends on the species. I don’t expect a lot of breeders to come out to this thread and offer much advice as alot of times it takes much effort and many failures to get specific species to produce a sac. (This has always been my experience.) As well as all the time spent caring for and transporting them and the competitive nature of the market. That being said, there’s plenty of information to search on the subject other than just the spider producing a sac. Understanding nothing is guaranteed. You’ll need to take many other steps to ensure the survival of the sac/offspring.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Quiet, leaving the animals alone is the most important thing. Only in Theraphosa do I change conditions, in no other species.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
It's worth considering the weather conditions in the native environment of the species you want to breed at the time of the year they will be producing sacs.
For many species, that means springtime with weather getting warmer and wetter. It's common to increase the temperature and soak part of the substrate in an effort to simulate the native environmental cues that could trigger dropping a sac.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
That's right, there is more to consider in advance. For example, Grammostola, or part Aphonopelma, will not produce an egg sac without proper hibernation!
Theraphosas require some humidity in the terrarium, but will not build an egg sac if the lair is damp. It makes sense to invest some time and do some research on each species.