Grasshoppers as food?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have always fed both my spiders and scorpions grasshoppers without any problems. I own 45 acres and I know that there is absolutely positively no pesticides. I think it is a good idea to vary a diet on Ts and scorps. Afterall, who would like to only eat pizza all of the time. I am no expert on this though.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wolvie56X said:
i just got 4 lubber grasshoppers at a pet shop in massachuesetts, just wondering if they are toxic to centipedes and large scorpions? i know its better to not take a chance, but i got them thinking they would be a good treat for my pets, without knowing anything about them
Did you read the whole thread? page 1 says lubbers are poisinous to herps, umm to me that would say dont feed them to scorps or centipedes. Buth hey this is the TARANTULA forum anyways I personally dont know jack about scorps or centipedes. you might get better lick in the myripods, scorpions, or the other forums on here...

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is that for real that lubber grasshoppers are poisonous to herps? It sounds like a myth to me...Anyone have a link?

Also, if a grasshopper had worms, those probably came in as eggs. So, a worm inside a grasshopper would just be another yummy treat for a T. (Not the egg and not the egg-layer? No problem that I see there for a T...)

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the link seems thay way to me...

ddale said:
That's the one I read about. I'm going to have to look up a pic of it so i know what to avoid. Thanks!

EDIT: Here's a link I just found to a pic for those who live in SE USA:

http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showSpeciesRECNUM.asp?recnum=IS0084

I wonder if it's toxicity affects T's - Better safe than sorry.

IMO i would not risk it with a T. but like i said i cant say for pedes or scorps..

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That link (enature) just says it gives off a foul-smelling liquid when handled, perhaps to repel predators. Certainly, that sounds like the trait of something bad-tasting, but is there a better link about toxicity to herps? Not like I am planning to feed any loved ones a lubber grasshopper, but I am curious... Oh well!

Added: couple of google searches later, all I can find is that this grasshopper is toxic (can kill or sicken) MAMMALIAN predators. Otherwise, it looks like the toxicity to herps is perhaps a twist on this, a mistaken twist?

Last edited: