Genus Grammostola

Spider1986

Arachnopeon
''G. mollicoma north'' IS G. pulchra to me. In fact, most (if not all) the G. pulchra you guys get in Europe and US are WC from North Uruguay.

Don't you think it's funny that site doesn't mention G. pulchra for Uruguay??? I know for sure, they are found in BIG numbers in North Uruguay. But instead, that site says ''G. mollicoma north''. And also, they say G. iheringi is from Uruguay, while it's described for Brazil only... In fact my guess is that they have is G. grossa... just a guess.

Everyone with their own opinions about Grammostola... nothing is certain and no one keyed out the genus properly ever yet.

Cheers,
Pato
on that time when those site was written, everybody thought that G.iheringi is the spider what we call now G.grossa. even on german markets im facing with this nowadays. BTW from pulchras: in european markets im just rarely met WC pulchra, we had lot of captive breeding since about 8-10 year. i really thing that pulchra and mollicoma North are not the same,buy the way in few day i get my new microscope and when the North form molted i will make good pictures from her spermtech :)

Last edited:

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BTW from pulchras: in european markets im just rarely met WC pulchra, we had lot of captive breeding since about 8-10 year.
Most of the so called CB slings you see in that market, are from WC females that were mated in the wild, then captive born and sent to Europe (or the WC females directly sent to Europe).
There are not steady (real) Captive Breeding of G. pulchra anywhere in the world. Very few people have achieved this at all. So the high demand could never be satisfied with true CB... hence the moderated cheap prices for this spiders, WC females lay sacs and slings get exported.
But you may have more accurate information, since you are from Europe. So don't take me too seriously :)

About spermathecae, good luck. Although it's not a good character to use for separating species for the Grammostola genus, so pretty much doesn't mean anything if they are slightly different.

Cheers,
Pato

CandyFana

Arachnopeon
What you say about puclhra mating in Europe is thrue.
nearly NO one can breed them till egg.
But we see now everywhere slings pulchra and that can not be.

I am even afraid they sell as puclhra sling : an hybrid between pulchra & Formosa of another species.
All slings pulchra on market has rose hairs ???????

But for mollicoma south and north, i also know 2 differents species.
South is our alticeps; but north is the same, with very less red hairs and when they get adult, they have a little purple round the eyes.

Some have pulchras with that, but real pulchra dont.

but that is really really difficult.
Some say : north is pulchra, other say no !

IF Pulchra is north, than, there is for me 2 different Pulchra : Pulchra from urugay and Pulchra from south Bresil !
otherwise : 2 differents species or 2 different colors

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
Picked up this 5" G.rosea via trade today. Our first "big" T lol. Guess a girl had it for 6 months and didnt take care of it. Looks well fed to me.

CandyFana

Arachnopeon
I could not wait anymore; I bought it ! !
In a shop.

I made picture of her/him (im afraid) but i can not get so she really likes in real !
In real her colours are grey/blue, not grey/brown loke on the pictures.
just like the other one i posted and was nearly for sure a future man vachoni.

I also think she/he will within a few months mould.

What i can say, it is that she/he is the more calm, nice grammostola i ve ever seen; even more friendly that alticeps; which is already so nice and friendly.

A really friendy spider; no agressivity..

What do you think it could be ? The lot hairs and the color, let me think of a vachoni !
Chalcothrix is normal mush darker.
What it can be, if that is the same as the male.. Im would be so pleased.
But i would already be very pleased if it could be a girl !

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^^^ the long, contrasting, buff-colored setae underneath her legs is reminiscent of the African baboon spiders. Very cool and beautiful T

CandyFana

Arachnopeon
Take a look at this. Amazing.

A moment i taught pulchripes and auréotibialis are 2 differents because you have the big one and the smaller one. one with yellow kniew brown body, the other mush darker with orange knies.

i discoverd something strange about grammostola, but also euathlus have the same.
Once they get the age of 9-11 (it depends on mould) they really change from colours.
And this is for me a reason, why we often think they are different species.

look at this picture and the one below.
I have 5 of those puclhripes/Aureo from mould 2; they 've already had brown body with real yellow knees and light yellow/white hairs.

Til 9 years :

JUST the same now after mould :

now 3 already mould (even a sub male) and they are now all the same as the second picture : darker with orange knies. and red hairs (hairs are so different)

And i had the same with pulchras

I ave always had pulchra ALL really black velvet, no red hais, no brown hairs.. only gray hairs far from mould when they are young.

now i have one female older than 10 years, she mould and :wall: no she has little red/brown hairs below the first part of the legs.
or before i never saw that on a pulchra.

i had the same with euathlus pulchrimaklaasi who changed colors at 10 !

Also the same with aphonopelma seemani which gets grey/blue when they get older.

and i have also the same with some vagans/angusta/no name.
light carpax, brown legs and no they all mould at 9 years and months and they are now totely black carpax with black velvet legs and red abdomen.

And nearly one year after mould, they are still black, not brown again.

So i think : some american spiders change colours when they get real adult. Nit 6 years, but when they get their real adult size ! !

And that is why we some all mix up; because ONE female 6 years has not same colors than then same female at 10 ! !

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
G.pulchra 0.1

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

G.rosea 0.1

T-ray

Arachnopeon
Grammostola rosea

Not the best quality photo, but it was the first pic I took when I got my rose, Prudence, back in October. Taken with a Samsung Moment lol. I did like the way she glowed a bit and her reflection was caught in the side of the terrarium.

Attachments