Grammostola Question (Please help)

Lucifer92

Arachnopeon
So, I'm thinking about buying a G. Pulchripes, half an inch big. How long will it take for it to grow to 4 inches? And how long till it reaches full size?

Also, I have a G. Rosea that just does not want to be handled. I can brush her with a brush and she just does not care. But as soon as my finger touches her, she will kick her hairs violently. When I got her from her previous owner, he told me that she had never been held before, so I do suspect that this might be the issue... What can I do to get her used to it?

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
So, I'm thinking about buying a G. Pulchripes, half an inch big. How long will it take for it to grow to 4 inches? And how long till it reaches full size?
Depends on temperature and feeding.
Also, I have a G. Rosea that just does not want to be handled. I can brush her with a brush and she just does not care. But as soon as my finger touches her, she will kick her hairs violently. When I got her from her previous owner, he told me that she had never been held before, so I do suspect that this might be the issue... What can I do to get her used to it?
There is nothing you can do, just leave it alone. IMO, handling is not a part of responsible tarantula ownership.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What bingo said. Some tarantulas will tolerate being held, others won't. I look at them like tropical fish: nice to look at, but not good to handle.

Scar

Arachnosquire
Also most Ts will be more hostile in its domain. Coax it out of its enclosure or into a catch cup before introducing your hand. A 1/2" Grammostola will take eons to get to 4". At least a few years.

lancej

Arachnolord
Pulchripes tend to be the quicker Grammostola species to get to that size. But it does depend on temp and feeding frequency.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
I posted this back in March.

Temps around 80-82
Feed 1 dubia every 1-2 weeks

Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee)

Growth rate.

Starting about 14 months ago.

Today

lancej

Arachnolord

Temps around 80-82

Growth rate.

Starting about 14 months ago.

Today

Very nice! The fifth pic looks almost like a Brachy though - I guess the angle is a little different! ;)

Harlie

Arachnopeon
about a year with proper feeding, humidity and temperature. they grow a bit fast in the first year after the 2nd instars, i've had plenty of G.Pulchripes, 1 of 'em matured in just a year. from 3/4"

PeaceBee

Arachnoknight

Temps around 80-82

Growth rate.
Thanks for sharing this! Neat to see the stages my little guy will go through :)
I have to admit, I am ever so curious about the OP's "I can brush her with a brush and she just does not care" statement. :o_O:

3skulls

Arachnobaron
Maybe the angle, maybe just a bad pic but I don't have a Brachy that would have been that size during that period.

Just to add*
I really don't handle my Ts, but she always wants to come out into my hand.

A pic from last week.

Lucifer92

Arachnopeon
Thanks for sharing this! Neat to see the stages my little guy will go through :)
I have to admit, I am ever so curious about the OP's "I can brush her with a brush and she just does not care" statement. :o_O:
What I meant by it is: I read somewhere that if you want to "check the tarantulas limits until it gets aggressive", you can use a tiny brush to so to speak "brush" and poke it a little bit. Of course not violently. But you know... She seems to not care at all when I do this. But as soon as I touch her with my hand, she will violently kick her hairs.

lancej

Arachnolord
My pulchripes are always out, either exploring or just chillin' out. Definitely one of my favorite species. :)

3skulls

Arachnobaron
I highly recommend one if you can find one. They are a great T to work with. :)

PeaceBee

Arachnoknight
What I meant by it is: I read somewhere that if you want to "check the tarantulas limits until it gets aggressive", you can use a tiny brush to so to speak "brush" and poke it a little bit. Of course not violently. But you know... She seems to not care at all when I do this. But as soon as I touch her with my hand, she will violently kick her hairs.
Ohhh, okay! I guess that makes more sense. The image that went through my mind was like brushing a doll's hair. LOL! :p