Gooty sapphire

Liquifin

Arachnoking
This picture questions your care a lot. The enclosure looks like their is nothing for it climb on since they're arboreal and it looks like it's bleeding on the abdomen. It looks to be in a molting position, but it's bleeding out and if I had to straightforward it doesn't look good. How long has it been since it didn't move?? Also please use scientific names next time in the future for reference, it's way more beneficial than common names.

Georgia

Arachnopeon
This picture questions your care a lot. The enclosure looks like their is nothing for it climb on since they're arboreal and it looks like it's bleeding on the abdomen. It looks to be in a molting position, but it's bleeding out and if I had to straightforward it doesn't look good. How long has it been since it didn't move?? Also please use scientific names next time in the future for reference, it's way more beneficial than common names.
Look I check on it Every other day if not every day, it wasn’t like this yesterday. How could it be bleeding out? I have had him/her since September of last year and has been doing exceptionally well. This cake out of nowhere.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Look I check on it Every other day if not every day, it wasn’t like this yesterday. How could it be bleeding out? I have had him/her since September of last year and has been doing exceptionally well. This cake out of nowhere.
I just took a second look at the picture and I can't exactly tell what's going on but it looks like a cyst on it. If it's not losing any kind of fluid then it could be a cyst we're looking at here.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I agree with @Liquifin there is something wrong here. If the sling isn’t moulting than it’s either fallen and hurt itself or has faecal compaction or a failed moult. Does it have access to water? How often do you give it water? They need more water then usual, prior to a moult.

Georgia

Arachnopeon
I agree with @Liquifin there is something wrong here. If the sling isn’t moulting than it’s either fallen and hurt itself or has faecal compaction or a failed moult. Does it have access to water? How often do you give it water? They need more water then usual, prior to a moult.
Yes it always has access to water. I check on it every day if not every other. I just don’t understand. I tried so hard and wanted nothing but the best for the little thing!

Yes it always has access to water. I check on it every day if not every other. I just don’t understand. I tried so hard and wanted nothing but the best for the little thing!
What can be done? Is there anything I can do for it? Anything?!

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
If it’s really truly completely still, I’m afraid it might already be dead. But if there is some movement, use like a big cooking spoon, scoop it up and move it closer to its water dish. Look for any gaping wounds on the carapace or abdomen and if there are any try dusting them with corn starch. That does help bleeding in Ts.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Can you possibly get pictures of the whole set up and better pictures of the spider? It's extremely difficult to tell what could be wrong from this picture alone, other than that it doesn't look right.

As for the fact that it wasn't like that last time you checked: lots of things can happen when you aren't looking. We can't be there 24/7 to ensure the safety of our pets, so it's vital to make sure their setups are safe and appropriate for the animal while we're away. But on the other hand, tarantulas are some of the hardiest pets there are, and can handle lackluster care and poor conditions for insane amounts of time without making it seem like there's a problem. That's why people are asking for more info on the setup. We're not implying that your care is lacking or that you're not caring for it correctly, we're just trying to rule out any possible causes.

sourpatchkid

Arachnopeon
Try to get past the harsh criticism and learn from this. Pockies need to things to climb on and also a hiding spot. My personal choice is a thick piece of cork bark with a large hole drilled into it as a hiding spot. The substrate should be on the moist side, especially when they're tiny, they can easily dry out inside a house. I'm sorry for your loss, it doesn't look good.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
i don’t think there’s anything to do for it at this point :-(. in the future, i would give it a slab or cork bark for it to climb on. make sure the bark is partially buried so that it is secure and stable for climbing. i would only give it slightly moist substrate at the beginning of keeping it. after that, i rarely moisten the substrate. i ensure there is access to drinking water at all times, though, by means of a bottle cap. cross-ventilation to ensure airflow and reduce stuffiness.
really sorry for your loss :-(

Georgia

Arachnopeon
Try to get past the harsh criticism and learn from this. Pockies need to things to climb on and also a hiding spot. My personal choice is a thick piece of cork bark with a large hole drilled into it as a hiding spot. The substrate should be on the moist side, especially when they're tiny, they can easily dry out inside a house. I'm sorry for your loss, it doesn't look good.
Here’s a couple of new pictures.
i don’t think there’s anything to do for it at this point :-(. in the future, i would give it a slab or cork bark for it to climb on. make sure the bark is partially buried so that it is secure and stable for climbing. i would only give it slightly moist substrate at the beginning of keeping it. after that, i rarely moisten the substrate. i ensure there is access to drinking water at all times, though, by means of a bottle cap. cross-ventilation to ensure airflow and reduce stuffiness.
really sorry for your loss :-(
Horrible! Damn...

Pictures

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Georgia

Arachnopeon
Why do you have to be a jerk!? I’m on here asking for help! This is what I was told to do and how I was told to keep its setup when I bought it FROM THE BREEDER. I did want nothing but the best for it or else I wouldn’t be on Arachnoboards and I would have just not given a crap. Don’t kick me when I’m already down, damn man.

Again I got it in September. Has molted, has been totally fine up until today!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
It's past the point of being helpful immediately, but there's a forum for vivarium pictures and setups. A search of P. Metallica provided lots of pictures of other people's setups.

Just a thought for setting up any future enclosures.

Georgia

Arachnopeon
It's past the point of being helpful immediately, but there's a forum for vivarium pictures and setups. A search of P. Metallica provided lots of pictures of other people's setups.

Just a thought for setting up any future enclosures.
Appreciated. Would you please tell me what might have happened.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Why do you have to be a jerk!? I’m on here asking for help! This is what I was told to do and how I was told to keep its setup when I bought it FROM THE BREEDER. I did want nothing but the best for it or else I wouldn’t be on Arachnoboards and I would have just not given a crap. Don’t kick me when I’m already down, damn man.

Again I got it in September. Has molted, has been totally fine up until today!
There's a difference between being a jerk and pointing out an error in your husbandry. I'm sorry but it indeed does seem it may be too late to save your sling, so at this point the best we can do is to tell you how to properly keep slings of this species/genus for your next go around. I don't know who you bought it from, but IMO anyone who tells you to keep a Poecilotheria sling (or any arboreal sling, for that matter) in an entirely barren setup is questionable at best. That's just asking for problems, especially with a Poeci sling. That being said, I'm hesitant to think the husbandry is to blame here.

Do you happen to recall if that white spot was on the abdomen prior to it's last molt, or did that just recently develop?

Georgia

Arachnopeon
There's a difference between being a jerk and pointing out an error in your husbandry. I'm sorry but it indeed does seem it may be too late to save your sling, so at this point the best we can do is to tell you how to properly keep slings of this species/genus for your next go around. I don't know who you bought it from, but IMO anyone who tells you to keep a Poecilotheria sling (or any arboreal sling, for that matter) in an entirely barren setup is questionable at best. That's just asking for problems, especially with a Poeci sling. That being said, I'm hesitant to think the husbandry is to blame here.

Do you happen to recall if that white spot was on the abdomen prior to it's last molt, or did that just recently develop?
There was no white spot on its abdomen yesterday when I checked in on it that I noticed.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
There was no white spot on its abdomen yesterday when I checked in on it that I noticed.
Hm. Is the white spot actually on the T, or is it mold that's growing on the sling? I've had a sling pass unexpectedly and even though it'd been less than a day, it had already started molding.

I'm also not seeing any ventilation in the container for your T, unless there was some in the lid. Your T doesn't appear to be in premolt, so i'm doubtful of a molting issue here.

Georgia

Arachnopeon
Hm. Is the white spot actually on the T, or is it mold that's growing on the sling? I've had a sling pass unexpectedly and even though it'd been less than a day, it had already started molding.

I'm also not seeing any ventilation in the container for your T, unless there was some in the lid. Your T doesn't appear to be in premolt, so i'm doubtful of a molting issue here.
I’ve attached some pictures, I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to tell me better than I can tell you.

Attachments

Minty

@londontarantulas
It’s probably already dead.

I’d suggest you don’t get another Poecilotheria until you’ve done more research and gained a lot more experience, as you clearly didn’t know enough to take care of a P metallica.

As has been said, arboreal tarantulas need something to climb on, plus cover.

A new world terrestrial species would suit you better.