Good tropical Ts?

SageExotics

Arachnopeon
I’ve a small (12x12x12 Exo Terra) tank set up and I’m wondering what to put in it. I’m not picky, but I’d like something 1. tropical (something that can stand high humidity, because the dry eco earth in my tank so the decor doesn’t fall down).
2. Not a very potent venom.
3. Can stay in the tank it’s whole life.
4. Preferably something pretty, though this isn’t a requirement.

That’s it. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My advice is this: a 0.1 Ephebopus murinus (or other Ephebopus spp.) This species IMO suit what you are searching for, and, aesthetically, is class.

Just that, if you opt for one, 'substrate' inches... for that they are obligate burrowers.

I mean, aren't lovely?

E. murinus II.jpg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
The conditions you listed, one through four, can be mix and match, but I don’t think there is a tarantula fits all four. Enlighten me if I am wrong.

SageExotics

Arachnopeon
Sorry, here to clarify, I need tropical because I need damp substrate so the decor doesn’t fall.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sorry, here to clarify, I need tropical because I need damp substrate so the decor doesn’t fall.
That's an interesting answer. Why are you concerned about the decor, if I can ask? I mean, in general the decor is provided according to - in this case, T's - requirements :pompous:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It’s always easier to choose a tarantula then make a set up for it, than have a set up already then choose a fitting tarantula. :angelic:

It should be the former, in my opinion.

SageExotics

Arachnopeon
The E. murinus sounds great!
I’ll keep taking suggestions if anyone has any, though.

I agree 100% about choosing a setup according to the tarantula rather than vice versa, but while experimenting with setups when I finished this one I really liked it. I’d rather not tear it down. But if there’s nothing to go in there than I will, of course.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I agree 100% about choosing a setup according to the tarantula rather than vice versa, but while experimenting with setups when I finished this one I really liked it. I’d rather not tear it down. But if there’s nothing to go in there than I will, of course.
The only issue when it comes to the decoration you provided just like from the pic of your enclosure, IMO is this... all of that stuff inside makes normal routine cleaning maintenance (such removing what remains of preys etc) a nightmare :)

SageExotics

Arachnopeon
The only issue when it comes to the decoration you provided just like from the pic of your enclosure, IMO is this... all of that stuff inside makes normal routine cleaning maintenance (such removing what remains of preys etc) a nightmare :)
I know. But I find that with most Ts they so kindly leave their mess right outside the burrow, so if they do decide to burrow in the busiest spot in the tank I can adjust things slightly to make it easier for cleanup. I’m fine with busy tanks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve a small (12x12x12 Exo Terra) tank set up and I’m wondering what to put in it. I’m not picky, but I’d like something 1. tropical (something that can stand high humidity, because the dry eco earth in my tank so the decor doesn’t fall down).
2. Not a very potent venom.
3. Can stay in the tank it’s whole life.
4. Preferably something pretty, though this isn’t a requirement.

That’s it. Any suggestions?

Point 1 is grammatically incorrect, I can't figure out what you are writing

4. I wont' suggest something because your idea of pretty may not be mine. Perhaps you should look at a variety of NW species and find what is pretty, then ask specific questions.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
1. tropical (something that can stand high humidity, because the dry eco earth in my tank so the decor doesn’t fall down).
Can you elaborate on what you mean by needing "high humidity, because the dry eco earth in my tank so the decor doesn’t fall down"?

sasker

Arachnoprince
Decor that only stays in place if the substrate is moist doesn't seem very stable to me. If you mean the plastic plants, I thing they are likely to be uprooted by your tarantula anyway if they are so delicately positioned that the humidity of the substrate makes a difference. If it is the heavier decor you are worried about, doesn't that endanger your tarantula if it collapses?

If I were you, I would redo your enclosure setup instead of trying to find a tarantula to get around your design flaws.

SageExotics

Arachnopeon
I’ve already clarified what I meant in 1.

I am concerned about the plants. If I reposition them then my T generally doesn’t uproot them. I suppose I can do a dry terrarium if it’s this big of a deal to try to find a good T for it.

Do you guys think Holothele Incei would work? I really like them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Would work? I mean, one moment 'everything' (T's talking) can work, if/when properly housed in a good set up with the needed, reasonable, parameters.

I'm somewhat fascinated by the fact that I've guessed (if I'm not wrong) that you seem to care a lot for the decor, but remember, mark my words: even the so called 'Tropical T's' (ain't a fan of this kind of terms, but that's just me) needs moist substrate, not wet and/or excessive moistness.

Plus, a good ventilation, that's mandatory.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Well, you are concerned about maintaining the looks of your carefully constructed terrarium interior, but you propose this tarantula that has its own opinion about what a proper interior design should look like. They web like crazy, so you will not see much of this beautiful micro biotope that you constructed :rofl:

On the plus side, you don't have to worry about your plants being uprooted. Your H. incei will firmly tie them down for you! :D

I don't own one, but in spring I will order my own H. incei. From what I have seen so far, they are a great addition to anyone's collection. Good choice!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Davus pentaloris might be worth a look. They are beautiful tropical Ts, and don't get much more than 4" DLS. They can be very fast and rather skittish, so keep that in mind.

SageExotics

Arachnopeon
Wow I didn’t think I’d get this reaction for my decor... I can change it if there’s nothing to go in there but I would LIKE to keep the setup. Anyway I’ve got an Exo Terra which has cross ventilation and stuff and I don’t need the substrate that wet. I like heavy webbers anyway, I think they give the decor a kind of “spooky” look to it all. I think I’ll get a H. Incei, I can remove the little plants.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Wow I didn’t think I’d get this reaction for my decor
Probably you thought my comment was more sarcastic than I intended. It wasn't meant as criticism, or anything. Tarantulas in general have little regard for what we find ecstatically pleasing. They bulldoze, dig, and burrow everything that we put in our terrarium. I had one enclosure with a life plant in it, which looked rather neat if I say so myself. Well, until my Pamphobeteus sp mascara decided it was time to cut it down leaf by leaf. :meh: There is now only a pathetic little twig in the corner left.

What I meant is that you should not overthink your enclosure too much, or else you will get disappointed. H. incei are fantastic little tarantulas, but they will drastically change the look of your terrarium, even more so than other species would. You just need to be prepared for that.

SageExotics

Arachnopeon
i know that like to change the terrarium. My M. Robustum decided to make a mountain in his tank for some reason. I’m ok with what they do, I just like to have a setup and hope they don’t ruin it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I’m ok with what they do, I just like to have a setup and hope they don’t ruin it.
It's like trying to catch air, my man :)

I mean, we always offer the best set up (the decor and the CB environment) but the last word is always the spider's one, and it's legit, that's their home and they will re-decor that home as they want :writer:

Glad to hear that you have a M.robustum, they are one of my fav. species, btw.