Good species of jumping spider for...

iluvspydrz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have never kept a true spider before, have had a few different types of tarantula, and I am interested in keeping a species of jumping spider to study, possibly breed. anyone have a suggestion for a spp. that may be easy to care for or that is fairly easy to breed, and big enough to see well? {D

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
P. audax if you're first starting out. there's numerous threads about them here. great starter spider. even more than just a starter too...

Motzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P. Audax is a very good starter for keeping jumpers. Mating is relatively tedious, though-- I suggest either leaving both in a large container for a couple of days before removing the male, or you can introduce them and observe them until they mate, then you can remove the male.

Be careful though, I ended up with 5 sacs after mating my female P. Audax.
Other than that, it is a very pretty spider to keep and it makes a rather low-maintenance pet.

Hope this helps ^_^

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Phidippus and Platycryptus get pretty large (OK, for a jumper). Platycryptus seem to have some trouble climbing plastic though until a good amount of webbing is put down.

Phidippus octopunctatus
P.regius
P.audax
P.johnsoni

naming a few. Don't know how large Paraphidippus are, but there's a very pretty green one.

EDIT : Forgot...Hyllus are also larger jumpers.

Marvin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how about Avicularia Avicularia?

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how about Avicularia Avicularia?
...wat. That isn't even a True Spider.

Regardless, I suggest either a P. regius or P. audax. I kept a regius in a jar for a little over 2 years, and I assume it died of old age. One of the most interesting spiders.