Good Display Scorpion

AlfredLofgren

Arachnopeon
I wonder if there is any scorpions that spend more time out in the open and less time in their burrows and caves?

It doesn't need to be very active or big. I would actually like it if it was a bit smaller but that is not a necessity.
It doesn't need to be very handleble or docile, but i dont want any highly venemous scorpions that hurts a lot more than a bee-sting. I am still kind of a beginner.

So, is there any scorpions that would fit my "requirements"?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
By stating beginner, how many and what species of scorps have you got in your collection? That way, we can help narrow down for you ;)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
No scorpions. Only new world tarantulas. So i really am a beginner!
I recommend the Brachypelma genus for you, they are kind of reclusive and burrow a bit as slings, but once juvenile stage, they remain out in the open most of the time. They are great for any beginner and are more tolerant of beginner mistakes.
B. emilia
View media item 56276B. vagans
B. albopilosum

Other genuses You should check out that I recommend are Aphonopelma and Grammostola, those are great species as well for beginners
A. chalcodes
G. pulchripes

AlfredLofgren

Arachnopeon
Thanks, and while i am definetly looking to get more tarantulas as well, i really would like to have a scorpion also. When i said no scorpions i did not mean i did not want any scorpions, i meant that i dont have any. I have one B. Albopolisum atm. Also, wow, i have never seen G. pulchripes before. What a beautiful tarantula.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Thanks, and while i am definetly looking to get more tarantulas as well, i really would like to have a scorpion also. When i said no scorpions i did not mean i did not want any scorpions, i meant that i dont have any. I have one B. Albopolisum atm. Also, wow, i have never seen G. pulchripes before. What a beautiful tarantula.
G. pulchripes are cheap and readily available, but are overlooked all the time. Scorps, are more reclusive and hate light, especially flashlights in general. The best beginner scorp out there that I recommend is the Pandinus imperator, they are kind of reclusive sometimes, especially during premolt. But are more out for view than most scorps. Some people say that Smeringurus genus is good genus to start for scorps. In my experiences, the Smeringurus genus are either out a lot or in hiding a lot. but prefer the heterometrus genus. But sadly, Heterometrus genus tends to burrow a bit more than the rest.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hi,
You could try Opistacanthus asper - they don't burrow like others, are fairly active and are semi- arboreal as they hunt in bushes and low trees.

AlfredLofgren

Arachnopeon
G. pulchripes are cheap and readily available, but are overlooked all the time. Scorps, are more reclusive and hate light, especially flashlights in general. The best beginner scorp out there that I recommend is the Pandinus imperator, they are kind of reclusive sometimes, especially during premolt. But are more out for view than most scorps. Some people say that Smeringurus genus is good genus to start for scorps. In my experiences, the Smeringurus genus are either out a lot or in hiding a lot. but prefer the heterometrus genus. But sadly, Heterometrus genus tends to burrow a bit more than the rest.
I appreciate your help. The G. pulchripes is definetly on my to-get list. I will also remember your advice regarding the Pandidus Imparator.

Last edited:

AlfredLofgren

Arachnopeon
Hi,
You could try Opistacanthus asper - they don't burrow like others, are fairly active and are semi- arboreal as they hunt in bushes and low trees.
WOW! I will definetly look into those. Had no idea there were arboreal scorpions. I think they look really awesome from what i saw on google.